Mixing Covid 19 vaccines - Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca - Is there a preferred combination?

Thomas J

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

Wikipedia has it as quantum chemistry. Er, Moderna was available, as presumably was AstraZaneca, and she opted to take it. So here we have a living, breathing, high profile example of a mixed vaccine recipient, which is all this thread was initially about. But the OP has hijacked the whole thing.

Yesterday the country's vaccine commission recommended that an AZ jab recipient follow it up with an mRNA 4 weeks later.

And yes, I agree with your second point as well 555 - s/he seems to have other priorities here ... don't feed it ;D

Edited by BusyB
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rabas said:

Her degree is in quantum chemistry.  If you mean quantum chemistry should be called quantum physics, both are equally valid fields.

Most people on this forum, including myself, wouldn't even understand the title of her PhD, but think they're smarter than she is.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, rabas said:

I've had the 1st AZ shot. Now I wonder if it's best to get the 2nd, or go directly for Moderna, if available.

The issue is timing.  Oxford discovered during trials that AZ needs much longer gaps to generate high immunity, because the 1st dose interferes with the 2nd.   The normal AZ delay is ~12 weeks. Immunity will be somewhat less at 8 weeks. New research from Oxford said gaps up to 45 weeks! gave best results. See HERE

"Leaving a gap of as long as 10 months between the first and second doses increased level of protective antibodies, says Oxford University research."

Since the problem is your immune system remembers the 1st AZ shot, a long delay should not be needed before getting other vaccines. So what I'm thinking to do is:

AZ (12 weeks) Moderna (1 month) Moderna

or: AZ (12 weeks) Moderna (1 month) Moderna. (1 month) AZ.

The first 12 weeks is because Moderna will come after October 1.

As I just posted but wanted to draw your attention to it, Germany's vaccine commission recommended yesterday that the AZ jab be followed up FOUR WEEKS later by an mRNA jab.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Most people on this forum, including myself, wouldn't even understand the title of her PhD, but think they're smarter than she is.

Some of the greatest idiots are those with advanced degrees who confuse degrees with intelligence.  PS Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg,  Ted Turner, Larry Ellison, Mark Wozniak, Richard Branson, and Steve Jobs were only  high school graduates. All billionaires by using the brains not their sheepskins.  Some of the most stupid people I have ever met were educated idiots.  Book smart but lacked any common sense. 

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

Some of the greatest idiots are those with advanced degrees who confuse degrees with intelligence.  PS Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg,  Ted Turner, Larry Ellison, Mark Wozniak, Richard Branson, and Steve Jobs were only  high school graduates. All billionaires by using the brains not their sheepskins.  Some of the most stupid people I have ever met were educated idiots.  Book smart but lacked any common sense. 

Do you even own a mirror?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Do you even own a mirror?

Yes I do,  Youmay find the attainment of a PHD to be some sort of litmus test for excellence I do not.  As said, I have seen many academic idiots.  They confuse the fact they can regurgitate information out of a textbook with real intelligence.  The persons I listed are some of  the smartest, most ingenious, and most inventive people of our time have only a high school degree and those people changed the world far more than most.  PS Henry Ford also didn't have a college degree and I would hold up his achievements against the PHD that you laud for achievement any day of the week.  And Bill Gates through Microsoft has given the world more productivity than all of the world leaders combined. 

Edited by Thomas J

1 hour ago, BusyB said:

As I just posted but wanted to draw your attention to it, Germany's vaccine commission recommended yesterday that the AZ jab be followed up FOUR WEEKS later by an mRNA jab.

Thanks. That's a good example of my point that the long delay after the first AZ shot is purely an AZ problem. AZ followed by other vaccines should use a 'normal' waiting period.

My long wait from my AZ shot to Modera is because of Anutin, a different kind of problem.

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

Yes I do,  Youmay find the attainment of a PHD to be some sort of litmus test for excellence I do not.  As said, I have seen many academic idiots.  They confuse the fact they can regurgitate information out of a textbook with real intelligence.  The persons I listed are some of  the smartest, most ingenious, and most inventive people of our time have only a high school degree and those people changed the world far more than most.  PS Henry Ford also didn't have a college degree and I would hold up his achievements against the PHD that you laud for achievement any day of the week.  And Bill Gates through Microsoft has given the world more productivity than all of the world leaders combined. 

Have you tried Microsoft or maybe Facebook support? Maybe they can help.

8 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Have you tried Microsoft or maybe Facebook support? Maybe they can help.

No, if you are suggesting it I assume you have tried it and obviously it hasn't helped you.

On 7/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, bradiston said:

Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, who has, amongst other qualifications, a doctorate in quantum chemistry,

Physicist, worked at an institute for physical chemistry.

In 2011 she noticed that nuclear energy has risks.

Overall Covid measures directed by one single number (incidence).

Don't overestimate her scientific proficiency.

I finally had my first shot of Astrazeneca 2 days ago at a government facility.  I also booked Moderna at THG ages ago and am still waiting like everyone else.  However, I did pay the required deposit for 2 shots.

I now plan to take the second Astrazeneca shot in September as planned and then take the 2 Moderna shots when they become available. From what I have been reading there is no risk in doing so and it will give me maximum protection against Covid-19.

2 hours ago, Sir Bogdiver said:

I finally had my first shot of Astrazeneca 2 days ago at a government facility.  I also booked Moderna at THG ages ago and am still waiting like everyone else.  However, I did pay the required deposit for 2 shots.

I now plan to take the second Astrazeneca shot in September as planned and then take the 2 Moderna shots when they become available. From what I have been reading there is no risk in doing so and it will give me maximum protection against Covid-19.

4 jabs? Crazy.

Medical common sense says, after 2 shots of AZ wait at least 6 month before you get another shot. It's not clear whether a 3rd shot is useful. There are no studies yet.

A 4th shot may do more harm than good. 

57 minutes ago, Lorry said:

4 jabs? Crazy.

Medical common sense says, after 2 shots of AZ wait at least 6 month before you get another shot. It's not clear whether a 3rd shot is useful. There are no studies yet.

A 4th shot may do more harm than good. 

I checked with my doctor back in Europe and according to him there is no risk in getting the 4 shots and probably a lot of good.  2 different vaccines will most likely give better protection against the different variants.  As all they do is stimulate the production of anti-bodies there is no downside to it.  If there are already sufficient anti-bodies the vaccine will very quickly be neutralized

8 minutes ago, Sir Bogdiver said:

I checked with my doctor back in Europe and according to him there is no risk in getting the 4 shots and probably a lot of good.  2 different vaccines will most likely give better protection against the different variants.  As all they do is stimulate the production of anti-bodies there is no downside to it.  If there are already sufficient anti-bodies the vaccine will very quickly be neutralized

If your doctor really said that you should ask another doctor. 

I have long been (re)tired from bashing the Orange one and I think Biden could stand any amount of bashing at this point on the journey of his presidency. At least he didn't get laughed at consistently whenever he shows his face on the international scene. Suffice to ask, how many covid-related deaths occurred in the US due to the mis/lack/management of the pandemic from the former White House cabinet?

Everybody has eyes and ears, yes folks, eyes are for looking at the data, and ears are for listening to science.  Mass vaccine roll out only started this year. Things are still in the fine-tuning stage, so between the lines, one should read "At your own risk." Just remember, vaccines normally takes years to get on the scene; as for Covid, it only took months, and definitely not because of some political laughing stock named "Operation Warp Speed." Red-hat propaganda always look for murky waters to spread, so don't let it sneak up on ya.

2 hours ago, Sir Bogdiver said:

As you are making these statements please show some data backing them

I told you there are no data.

There can't be any data as vaccinations just started 6 months ago.

All one can rely on is what i call "medical common sense".

It is generally accepted in the medical community that a 3rd jab should wait 6 months.  But that's really educated guessing.

A 4th jab? Nobody serious would recommend that. 

23 hours ago, Lorry said:

I told you there are no data.

There can't be any data as vaccinations just started 6 months ago.

All one can rely on is what i call "medical common sense".

It is generally accepted in the medical community that a 3rd jab should wait 6 months.  But that's really educated guessing.

A 4th jab? Nobody serious would recommend that. 

This is how I (and my European doctor) see it. There is some evidence that mixing 2 different vaccines is more effective against emerging variants.  This is why in Europe a lot of people now have 2 shots with different vaccines and sometimes 3 shots.  2 of one and a third of another.  There is no 6 month limit for the third shot. All vaccines do is stimulate the immune system to produce the correct antibodies and Tcells to eradicate covid.  If you have full immunity and then get another vaccine shot the body will recognise the vaccine as a covid infection and quickly neutralize it.   No harm done. If you don't have full immunity yet the shot will further boost immunity.  Again no harm done.  There is simply no logical way that a vaccine shot will harm you.  That is medical common sense.