I came in with a US passport, but I recently got my Thai passport, do I need to renew my visa?

On 7/1/2021 at 11:26 PM, EricTh said:

If you already have a Thai ID and passport, you are already a Thai. Why do you need a visa anymore?

How and where did you get your Thai citizenship? Mind telling us.

I was born in the US but both my parents are Thai. That is how I got my Thai passport/citizenship. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, Kwarium said:

Wow, most misinformation I have ever seen in 1 thread!

Go to any immigration office with your new Thai passport and your US passport with current visa/permission to stay. They will cancel the visa. Be sure to take documents showing how/why you have a new Thai passport. E.g.- Naturalization certificate, etc.

Even with a Thai passport in hand, you will be charged overstay if you have overstayed on your US passport. When it happened to my stepdaughter, it made me wonder what would have happened if she wasn’t quite so honest, or maybe went through the automated exit lanes... 

These two bits of advice are based on my personal experiences, ymmv.

Thanks, I will try this out!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tatsumi said:

I was born in the US but both my parents are Thai. That is how I got my Thai passport/citizenship. 

Lucky you. Many foreigners want to get Thai citizenship but it is very difficult.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:39 AM, Kwarium said:

First case, yes.

Second case, no.

I thought all of the rules were special. OP has not stated whether they were naturalized or just reached age 21 and got their Thai ID and passport based on a Thai birth certificate.

Sorry for not being more detailed, I'm over 21 and I got my Thai ID/Passport based on my Thai birth certificate. Both my parents are Thai.

On 7/3/2021 at 12:32 PM, steve187 said:

so this thread has been running 3 days and the op made one post, the opening post, 

so a troll or someone that is not really interested in the comments,

but as there is a difference of ideas what he/she should do here is my 2 cents worth from a friends experience maybe others apart from the op is following

- as he/she entered on a US passport he is in Thailand as an American, as such he needs to keep his permission to stay as an American legal, if he /she is a Thai national since birth, by getting a one year extension for being a holder of Thai nationality, 1,900 thb.

I have been out of town on business, haven't had a chance to sit down and reply to any posts until today. The comments have been really helpful. I think I will go to immigration and try to sort it out and see if they can cancel my non Thai visa, if not I'll probably just get a one year extension, as ill be heading back to the states in December anyways

1 minute ago, Tatsumi said:

I have been out of town on business, haven't had a chance to sit down and reply to any posts until today. The comments have been really helpful. I think I will go to immigration and try to sort it out and see if they can cancel my non Thai visa, if not I'll probably just get a one year extension, as ill be heading back to the states in December anyways

do a 1 year extension and then when you re-enter Thailand use the Thai passport

16 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

When checking in for a flight, my children submit both their Thai and US passports at the counter and the airline records both in their system. They have also had to show both at immigration on the way out in order to leave legally on their Thai passports and also to be able to prove they can enter the country they are flying to since they don't have visas in their Thai passports. Never had a problem with this.

I was wondering this too, this is helpful, thanks

If you are in country on a foreign passport, the only way to change that is to leave the country and re-enter on your Thai passport.  Many people in the same situation as you have overstayed and had a big problem at the airport when they leave trying to argue their way out of paying overstay fines.  Probably you can get away without paying but wouild have to miss your flight and fight a case in the Administrative Court that might take years.  Can't really blame Immigration, if you declared yourself as a foreigner on entry.  They need to close the loop in their system.   They can't blacklist you for overstaying though, or, if they did, it would be constitutionally invalid.

But don't worry.  There is an easy way around this.  As others have said there is a provision that is really meant for former Thai citizens but also covers existing Thai citizens who have entered on a foreign passsport.  You just go down to Immigration and can get unlimited automatic one year extensions for a modest fee.  I think that would be preferable to having a hassle at the airport.  The fine for overstaying is 200 a day.  So, if you overstay more than a few days, the visa extension is cheaper.