Uneven sidewalks one thing, but this?

morrobay

On 7/5/2021 at 8:14 AM, Sydebolle said:

Above ground you have the planet's possible biggest cable mess ........ 
On the ground you have manhole lids loose or missing; tiles and slabs waiting to tilt

.... so you do not even want to know, how utilities underground look like ???? 

Like most other things here - absolute ignorance towards the assigned work, execution of jobs and control of finalized assignments; and then they complain and envy the rich farang! Maybe go and have a look at pavements in i.e. central Europe with cities where it is a sheer pleasure to stroll through old towns by foot ???? 

need go SINGAPORE......JAPAN...HONG KONG and see what it is like there.....and the Uk.....

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 12:23 PM, morrobay said:

Actually this is more normal.  And broke a record for going about a year before this: Pattaya North up from beach. 

IMG_20210704_105547.jpg

Everytime I walk up here there is more collapsing 

IMG_20210706_105757.jpg

On 7/6/2021 at 10:48 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

You'll be soon dissuaded of that notion through threat of physical violence.

Persist, and they'll shoot you, or you'll disappear.

I know but after 30 years in de country I'm still dreaming that one day it will happen. ????

On 7/6/2021 at 12:19 PM, morrobay said:

Everytime I walk up here there is more collapsing 

IMG_20210706_105757.jpg

they are really good at skimming there was probably a budget for a premium tile but these were substituted resulting in a new Merc for the contractor and a nice fat kickback for the civic employee or politician involved but hey now they can do it again and again just like the roads.  rinse and repeat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

they are really good at skimming there was probably a budget for a premium tile but these were substituted 

The problem is that the tiles here and like the beach promenade are just set on loose sand/substrate. And it does not take too much rain to wash the substrate out for tile  collapse. That's the way they always do it over and over again

20 minutes ago, morrobay said:

The problem is that the tiles here and like the beach promenade are just set on loose sand/substrate. And it does not take too much rain to wash the substrate out for tile  collapse. That's the way they always do it over and over again

Why change the way of working if it guarantees a future job??? 5555 

On 7/7/2021 at 4:32 PM, jomtienisgood said:

Why change the way of working if it guarantees a future job??? 5555 

Maybe because it doesn't guarantee future tourists, who keep a lot more in jobs here.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

Maybe because it doesn't guarantee future tourists, who keep a lot more in jobs here.

No more guaranteed endless supply of first time and the last time!  visitors.  The  have

cake and eat it too days are over. They never had to try for repeat tourists by making sure these tourists would return . Just forget them there is always mor e in the pipeline. Now those first time visitors who had it in one visit are going elsewhere.  Can you blame them? Was on the promenade this afternoon when a sh*t lode of motorbikes went by. They can't change and this time it's going to cost them. I told the "lifeguards " about this last week. 

IMG_20210707_095856.jpg

24 minutes ago, morrobay said:

No more guaranteed endless supply of first time and the last time!  visitors.  The  have

cake and eat it too days are over. They never had to try for repeat tourists by making sure these tourists would return . Just forget them there is always mor e in the pipeline. Now those first time visitors who had it in one visit are going elsewhere.  Can you blame them? Was on the promenade this afternoon when a sh*t lode of motorbikes went by. They can't change and this time it's going to cost them. I told the "lifeguards " about this last week. 

IMG_20210707_095856.jpg

I agree.  

The internet and social media means "word of mouth" reviews are now global, for anyone and everyone to see, in real time.  They can also include photos, as you have done in your post, and video.

It only takes one beating of a tourist for arguing over a padded bill, or getting ripped off by a taxi driver refusing to use the meter, and soon after, many times while the tourist is actually still in Thailand, it's on the internet for the world to see, which effects people's decision to holiday here.  

The Thai mentality of grab a baht today, and don't think about tomorrow, is laid bare for the world to see on the internet.

Then, for example, there are news items such as showing filthy storm water running onto a disappearing beach that a quick Google of "Pattaya Beach" will reveal.  

There's a reason the majority of tourists to Thailand / Pattaya were cheap Chinese and Indian package holiday tourists prior to covid, and that is, western tourists were in decline here, a trend I can see continuing post covid.  

In many ways, Thailand's tourism reminds me of the Nokia phone company.  They had such a large market share they thought they didn't have to do anything to keep attracting customers, until they eventually went broke.