Covid Visa Extension for recent arrivals?

QUESTION: I am considering to enter Thailand on a Single Entry Tourist visa (2+1) as soon as possible. After those three months will I also be eligible for the special covid extensions provided by the government until now? Anyone that entered recently can confirm or disprove that?

CURRENT SITUATION: I have been stuck in Vietnam for a while waiting for regulations in the area to ease up a bit, but now the Vietnamese government has decided to start denying extensions en mass regardless of the legalized bribe I am paying every month (125$ in my case). I tried the Indonesia route but, when I was about to pay for the documents, Jokowi locked everything down for good for the next few weeks at the very least.

Now, the only seemingly fast solution to remain in Asia is Thailand, but I wanna know what I am getting myself into before pulling the trigger. My hope is that something in the region will reopen during my stay there, but it's an IF and I may end up being "stuck" there. Not a bad place, I know...

BACKGROUND: I have been traveling in between countries (Taiwan, Vietnam, some Philippines) every 3-6 months in the past few years AND I already have a ticket (that I may cancel) for the other side of the world, but regulations are complicated and could change at any minute (stopover, visas, transit documents, blacklisted countries, etc.). That's why Thailand could be the safest option.

PS: already scoured the forums but couldn't find anything

I cannot predict whether 60 day covid 19 extensions will be available in 3 months.

If the world goes in a lockdown then I think they will be available.

Not many choices to stay within SE Asia at this time. Or even most of Asia.

• Like 2

I should have been more clear. 

I am not asking for a prediction. I know that depends on the immigration blues. I am asking if anyone is aware of the government OFFICIALLY providing a different treatment depending on the date of entry. That could be justified since I am entering now and I didn't get stuck there since the beginning.

I am being extra careful and I realize this may sound as a strange question, but this is exactly what is happening in Vietnam albeit in a different area (price of the extensions different depending on having entered before or after March 2020). 

Put is simply, people that entered, say, four/five months ago, are being granted the same covid extension as those that got stuck there since the beginning of this whole bureaucratic nightmare?

15 minutes ago, amergin said:

Put is simply, people that entered, say, four/five months ago, are being granted the same covid extension as those that got stuck there since the beginning of this whole bureaucratic nightmare?

There are many people that have here since early last year that have stayed under the amnesty and then the 30/60 day covid 19 extensions.

Some have arranged a longer stay by applying for non immigrant visas and/or extensions of stay at immigration.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, amergin said:

Put is simply, people that entered, say, four/five months ago, are being granted the same covid extension as those that got stuck there since the beginning of this whole bureaucratic nightmare

There are people that have been here many months on amnesty then followed by covid extensions.

Likewise there have been folk entered not so long ago visa exempt then obtained normal 30 day extension and then covid extensions.

I can't imagine why they would stop issuing covid extensions.

You may not have time but if you can obtain vaccine in Vietnam grab it.

Hit and miss here in Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There are people that have been here many months on amnesty then followed by covid extensions.

Likewise there have been folk entered not so long ago visa exempt then obtained normal 30 day extension and then covid extensions.

I can't imagine why they would stop issuing covid extensions.

That is what I was asking.

I can't imagine why they would do that either... but here in Vietnam that is exactly what has been happening in the past month, hence me wanting to ask here on the Thai forum.

I know it is never 100 percent but this is indeed reassuring.

Thank you both, guys!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, amergin said:

I know it is never 100 percent but this is indeed reassuring

Are you 50+.

Another option if covid extensions are discontinued is to use an agent.

One option is non O (volunteering)

The other option is non O (retirement) 

Obviously the second option requires you to be 50+.

Not cheap options however provide one year + stay.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Are you 50+.

Another option if covid extensions are discontinued is to use an agent.

One option is non O (volunteering)

The other option is non O (retirement) 

Obviously the second option requires you to be 50+.

Not cheap options however provide one year + stay.

This is very good info. I haven't been in Thailand for a while so I am out of the loop, but it is good to know that there are options when you are onsite. I am not 50 yet. Where am I gonna find some info on that non O (volunteering) in case I ever need it? Any particular resource? Feel free to reply here or DM me.

Obviously I am gonna do some search on the forum for details and prices.

2 minutes ago, amergin said:

Obviously I am gonna do some search on the forum for details and prices.

There are plenty. First recommended thing is to use well known agent. Has office, many reviews etc. 

The bigger ones have contact such as messenger etc and you can discuss options.

Be forewarned that the usual suspects will be along with the negative baggage. Ignore that. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There are plenty. First recommended thing is to use well known agent. Has office, many reviews etc. 

The bigger ones have contact such as messenger etc and you can discuss options.

Be forewarned that the usual suspects will be along with the negative baggage. Ignore that. 

Sure, it is always the same. But I am glad I got all these info. The one about covid extensions to cover me until Philippines or Taiwan reopen (or until the Thai government decides) is what I am aiming for. And if they reopen within the three months stay allowed by my STV I am out. But considering how things are going around Asia it is difficult to know when and where you will be able to move.

Having a fail safe to explore just in case, it is good news.

4 minutes ago, amergin said:

And if they reopen within the three months stay allowed by my STV I am out

Just avoid the use of STV.

This is new visa "special tourist visa"

You do not want one of those. 

The tourist visa (setv) is what you mean. That gives you 60 day plus 30 day extension. 

With a setv or visa exempt entry you can obtain a non O if that ends up being required.

Not possible with a STV (think they have finished now anyway) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just avoid the use of STV.

This is new visa "special tourist visa"

You do not want one of those. 

The tourist visa (setv) is what you mean. That gives you 60 day plus 30 day extension. 

With a setv or visa exempt entry you can obtain a non O if that ends up being required.

Not possible with a STV (think they have finished now anyway) 

That's the one I am planning to get and the only one they are giving out here in Vietnam as far as I know. I got confused with the acronym.

7 hours ago, Captain Vas Deferens said:

As an Aussie my Thai embassy says I'm visa exempt until 30th September. I'm wondering, do I need to send my passport to Thai embassy Canberra to get TR visa or can I just complete the C.O. E?? 

if entering visa exempt you only need the COE and the required documents to have it issued.

Can I find a job and change the visa exempt to non immigrant-o work permit - do you know? 

You could find a job apply for a work permit to a get a approval letter and then apply for a 90 non-b visa at immigration. But you would not have much  time to do do it since you must have at least 15 days remaining on the visa exempt or the 30 day extension of it to apply for the visa.