Special deals when buying a new car

Hi,

Thinking of buying a new Toyota Cross Hybrid Premium Safety in Bangkok.

I will be buying in cash and just wondering is it worth asking about special deals and getting free operational extras.

As I will be buying in cash I thought that would be a good reason for the dealer to offer extras.

Just wondering if its worth asking as this is my first time I am buying a new car here.

I suggest you join a number of facebook groups that are related to the Toyota Cross

Normally Thais will post any offers they have received to see if people think its a good deal or can the deal be improved

Once you joined the groups if private or look at the public groups do a search on ส่วนลด Thai for discount

you could do a search for cash discount but the majority of sales wouldn't be cash

• Like 1

Its important to know what other dealers are prepared to offer  before you decide to walk into your  preferred dealership

If you post in thai on the facebook groups you will receive many offers, majority of them will only be interested in low payment installment deals as they offer large comission to the sales agent. stick firm and state your only interested in cash deals.

if they ask for a phone number give them a phone number of a Thai speaker

A friend if mine was looking at the Toyota Cross a few months ago but as there was a 4 month waiting list at the time the average discounts were around 70,000 baht

the manufacturer sets the price and the manufacturer does build in a discount margin for the dealer to operate in, but if the dealer can get away with selling a vehicle at the manufacturer price more profit for the dealer

Edited by vinny41
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, vinny41 said:

A friend if mine was looking at the Toyota Cross a few months ago but as there was a 4 month waiting list at the time the average discounts were around 70,000 baht

Why would any dealer offer a discount if there's a 4-month waiting list for that model?!

"Mr Customer, I've got a queue of customers four months long waiting to get the same car you want but, hey, I'll let you buy it for B70,000 off the list price"!     Now that really makes sense.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why would any dealer offer a discount if there's a 4-month waiting list for that model?!

"Mr Customer, I've got a queue of customers four months long waiting to get the car you want but, hey, I'll let you buy it for B70,000 off the list price".

If 70,000 baht discount seals the deal and most dealers know what other dealers are offering you either offer the discount or watch the customer walk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, karl2007 said:

I will be buying in cash and just wondering is it worth asking about special deals and getting free operational extras.

No, it's not.  Dealers generally don't like cash deals unless it's for someone who cannot get finance and it saves the deal.   They make much more profit when there's finance involved.

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Mr Customer, I've got a queue of customers four months long waiting to get the same car you want but, hey, I'll let you buy it for B70,000 off the list price"!     Now that really makes sense.

Regardless of waiting lists, dealers are competing with each other. They would rather sell  at a discount (within reason) than see the customer buy from another dealer .

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Mr Customer, I've got a queue of customers four months long waiting to get the car you want but, hey, I'll let you buy it for B70,000 off the list price".

Expand  

If 70,000 baht discount seals the deal and most dealers know what other dealers are offering you either offer the discount or watch the customer walk

If there's a four month waiting list for the car the other dealers will be in exactly the same position.  When the demand for a particular car is so high that there's orders and a waiting list the last thing that will happen is the offer of a discount.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Regardless of waiting lists, dealers are competing with each other. They would rather sell  at a discount (within reason) than see the customer buy from another dealer .

You can't disregard waiting lists!   If there's a queue of customers' orders for four months ahead the other dealers won't have stock either, if they did, there wouldn't be a waiting list. 

What's the dealer going to say to the potential customer?   "I can't sell you that car because there aren't any available for months but I'll give you a discount on that car that isn't available"?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If there's a four month waiting list for the car the other dealers will be in exactly the same position.  When the demand for a particular car is so high that there's orders and a waiting list the last thing that will happen is the offer of a discount.

I am selling cars. The dealer next door is selling the same cars. We each have to wait the same amount of time for delivery.

I want to sell more cars than the dealer next door. What do I have to offer that will attract more customers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I am selling cars. The dealer next door is selling the same cars. We each have to wait the same amount of time for delivery.

I want to sell more cars than the dealer next door. What do I have to offer that will attract more customers?

Well, you won't be offering discounts on any car that can't keep up with sales demand!   Take it to the extreme, all those dealers with unavailable cars could offer 99% discounts off list but it won't do any of them, or their customers, any good if there aren't the cars to sell...

"Mr Customer, I value your business so much that I will offer you a discount higher than any other you've been offered from my competition, in fact, you name the discount and I'll agree to it.    The only problem is I can't sell you the car at that price, or any price, (just as the other dealers can't, either) because there aren't any cars available!

• Sad 2

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, you won't be offering discounts on any car that can't keep up with sales demand!   Take it to the extreme, all those dealers with unavailable cars could offer 99% discounts off list but it won't do any of them, or their customers, any good if there aren't the cars to sell...

"Mr Customer, I value your business so much that I will offer you a discount higher than any other you've been offered from my competition, in fact, you name the discount and I'll agree to it.    The only problem is I can't sell you the car at that price, or any price, (just as the other dealers can't, either) because there aren't any cars available!

You seem to think that dealers stop selling cars when there is a waiting list.

If there is a 4 month waiting list for a car that means that some customers have put down a deposit in the knowledge that they will have to wait 4 months.

Do you imagine that dealers don't compete for those customers?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

You seem to think that dealers stop selling cars when there is a waiting list.

If there is a 4 month waiting list for a car that means that some customers have put down a deposit in the knowledge that they will have to wait 4 months.

Do you imagine that dealers don't compete for those customers?

I know what a waiting list is.

You seem to think that when demand exceeds supply, i.e. there are more customers than all the dealers can service, dealers will offer discounts on cars that neither they, nor any other dealer, can get to sell.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I understand your logic Liver but mostly in light of the  Thai cultural tendency to not consider tomorrow.

Even is there's a four month backlog to get a copy of whatever vehicle, wouldn't the dealer be wise to lock in a future profit on one more vehicle?  The backlog really wouldn't  hurt the dealer would it?

• Like 1

For Toyota its important for both Toyota Thailand and Toyota Japan that where ever possible Toyota is number 1 in the relevant vehicle segment of  each of the cars they sell

The Toyota Cross comes under the B car  SubCompact Crossover segment

Since the launch of the Toyota Cross in Thailand since July 2020 the Toyota Cross has sold more cars each month than any other brand even the brands that offer much larger discounts that Toyota

Honda will be looking to take the top spot from Toyota when their new HRV model is launch later this year

Some of the discounts that you get from a Toyota dealership are directly funded by Toyota not the dealer such as the toyota loyalty discount

https://www.headlightmag.com/sales-report-subcompact-crossover-bsuv-dec-2020/

https://www.headlightmag.com/sales-report-subcompact-crossover-q1-2021/

The sales figures since launch provide an indication to Toyota that currently a minorchange is not required

18 hours ago, karl2007 said:

As I will be buying in cash I thought that would be a good reason for the dealer to offer extras.

Dealers prefer if you pay finance, because they get some kickback from the finance company/bank.

On 7/7/2021 at 12:49 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Correct, we  looked at the cross back in March, they all said no delivery til at least June, there was very little discount(a few thousand baht), with a waiting list of people willing to pay the do not need to discount at the moment

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 11:34 PM, karl2007 said:

Most dealers don't like cash sales, they prefer you to finance of some kind so they get a percentage in the deal.

Put down a nice deposit, keep the cash in your bank and pay monthly installments.

Discuss the extras along with the size of deposit paid.

You will get a better deal that way.

• Like 1

I bought my Honda City with cash couple months ago the sales didn't offer any significant discounts went around asked several provinces same offers or worse. They said if I financed they could offer me a lot more such as the first year of insurance as well but the best I got was 12,000 baht discount + all the usual freebies tint, pillows, dash cam, etc etc. Had to pay for the insurance myself. But I agree check with the facebook groups with others buying the same car you'll be able to see what others get offered they like posting those things. But mostly I've seen in those groups are people financing the car. 

This was the offer they gave me (they wrote this in Thai I used google translate) 

1. 3M film around the car
2. Awning eyebrows 
3. Ladder eyebrows
4. rear tray
5. Label frame
6. Gas bill 1,000
7. Skirts around the car modulo
8.Modulo rear spoiler
9. Sensor 2 points
10. front camera + 16gb memory
11. 12,000 baht discount.

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2021 at 12:29 AM, G Rex said:

if the truth be known , they prefer people to finance, as they get a slice of the action there too.

Nail on the head, they want to sell finance, the car will always be in negative equity not withstanding deprecation, if you default on payments, they have made a % profit and can sell the car at market price and still be quid's in. IMO

Our discount experience buying a new mazda cx-3 (2021 model) in Bangkok a few months ago. Each dealership offered differing levels of discount.

Cash discount 60 000 baht. They wouldn't drop any further but offered other discounts below.

Window tinting included

I year car registration included

1 year insurance included

Dash cam camera included

All floor mats and rear boot liner included

Mazda gift pack included

We are going through the same thing, just checking with 3 dealers on exactly same new car,

They have very little room to move,,,so far difference less than 10K.

It is a fact that if you finance the car through them there is a better chance of a lower 

selling price. They know they will get a kick back from finance Co but of course

in the end you pay more

On 7/6/2021 at 6:34 PM, karl2007 said:

Not really, the dealer makes money by selling the car with finance, cash is a bad deal for the dealer.

However, you might be able to get some little extra equipment, or discount on extra equipment, I managed that when buying a Toyota for cash, both some extra and a good price (for me) for changing interior to leather (probably I got most of their markup).

Buy a 2021 used car. On One 2 Car there is a red Premium Safety for 999,000 with less than 10,000 km. A grey for 1,060,000. Saving 140,000-200,000 with no waiting list.  It does look good in grey. 

Edited by pj123

6 minutes ago, pj123 said:

Buy a 2021 used car. On One 2 Car there is a red Premium Safety for 999,000 with less than 10,000 km. A grey for 1,060,000. Saving 140,000-200,000 with no waiting list.  It does look good in grey. 

With cash t may be ok...but they offer shocking interest rates if it's financed. There is also the risk they have had a major accident and have been repaired.