Long term tourist visa for UK citizen in Laos?

Hello: 

I am a UK citizen, resident in Laos, currently in Vientiane. I would like to come to Thailand for 6-9 months in August or September (there are apparently flights from Vientiane to Bangkok operated by Lao Airlines). I have health insurance that would cover the $100,000 COVID-19 requirement. Could someone tell me what the best option is for visa? 

At this time you can only apply for single entry tourist visa that allows one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Multiple entry tourist visas are not being issued at this time.

They might still issue a STV (special tourist visa) but since the order that allows them ends on September 30th that would mean you would not be able to apply for the two 90 day extension it normally allows.

5 minutes ago, AventurasEnMadrid said:

Thank you @ubonjoe. During the course of the single tourist visa period, would it probably be possible to switch to an educational visa once I am in Thailand, without leaving the country?

It is possible to change to a 90 day non-ed visa entry at immigration. Normally is is only done for attending a formal school such as a university. But some informal schools such as language schools can arrange a application for one.

After getting the non-ed visa you could then apply for extensions of stay for attending a school. 

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is possible to change to a 90 day non-ed visa entry at immigration. Normally is is only done for attending a formal school such as a university. But some informal schools such as language schools can arrange a application for one.

After getting the non-ed visa you could then apply for extensions of stay for attending a school. 

Thank you @ubonjoe. For a foreigner under 49 years old not married  who wants to stay in Thailand 6-9 months, would you think getting a tourist visa, extending it, and then getting an education visa is the best way at this time? Cheers

OP, have you been following situation in Thailand? Not a good time to come to Thailand.

You could enter with setv or visa exempt and then obtain 30 day extension and if still available (most likely) obtain covid extension after that which is 60 day.

Also possible is to use agent for non O volunteering with 12 month extension. However that's for a longer period and not cheap.

Best to obtain covid extensions.

Don't obtain STV.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AventurasEnMadrid said:

Thank you @ubonjoe. For a foreigner under 49 years old not married  who wants to stay in Thailand 6-9 months, would you think getting a tourist visa, extending it, and then getting an education visa is the best way at this time?

That may be your best choice. There are not many options at this time to in the country long term.

You may not need to apply for the 30 day extension if you can find a school and apply for the 90 day non-ed visa entry at immigration prior the last 15 days of the 60 day will receive when entering the country.

• Like 1