Covid deaths in perspective

Wuvu2

In normal times there are an average of 65 road fatalities per day in Thailand (2019). In that year the Songkran “7 dangerous days” totaled  386 death on Thai roadways.

Thailand just hit 90 reported Covid deaths per day. That's one Covid death every 16 minutes. That number is rising fast and probably significantly under reported.

Welcome to Thailand - If you thought the minivan ride was scary just wait till you see our Coivd numbers ????

Edited by Wuvu2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

No not at all - I'm genuinely concerned.  I'm scared spitless most of the time on my motorbike - going by the numbers I should be more scared of dying of Covid these days ????

Why would you ride something that scared you spitless? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It's not a hoax!

You're quoting cclub75, but he/she didn't say Covid was a "hoax", just that the situation needs to be studied and look at rationally with some perspective.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You're quoting cclub75, but he/she didn't say Covid was a "hoax", just that the situation needs to be studied and look at rationally with some perspective.

Not sure what you're about, but sorry, anyone that has looked at it rationally knows it's not a hoax. 

23 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

In normal times there are an average of 65 road fatalities per day in Thailand (2019). In that year the Songkran “7 dangerous days” totaled  386 death on Thai roadways

I did some.basic arithmetic. 386 divided by 7 is 55.14... Less than the normal average of 65.

Comparing covid deaths to road deaths is a little fanciful, I would suggest. How about comparing it to deaths caused by old age, heart attacks, cancer, flu?

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

I did some.basic arithmetic. 386 divided by 7 is 55.14... Less than the normal average of 65.

Comparing covid deaths to road deaths is a little fanciful, I would suggest. How about comparing it to deaths caused by old age, heart attacks, cancer, flu?

Covid is killing significantly more people every day  than road accidents during Songkran week. That should be a sobering thought to anyone that still believes the real risk is minor and that restrictions are unwarranted. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Of course it's not a hoax. It's killing significantly more people every day than driving accidents during Songkran.  All the idiots that think it's an insignificant threat don't have their thinking caps on straight.

any numbers on how many ex pats have died from Covid ?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

compare these to Covid ? 

That would show how few, in comparison, are dying from/with Covid 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Or you could ask, does anyone here on Asean Now know of any ex pats who have died from this virus?

Around the world or just in Thailand? 

In any event, there are a number of people that have suffered and or died as a result covid that never had the virus, but we don't really care about them, right?

Edited by Yellowtail
added text
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In any event, there are a number of people that have suffered and or died as a result covid that never had the virus, but we don't really care about them, right?

In Thailand ???

Number of people who have suffered and died from flu, pneumonia , heart attacks, road accidents, etc, etc, but we don't care about them, or constantly hype up the media about them either 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Sorry, I should have said Thailand.

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And I think it safe to assume by "the virus" you meant Covid 19 and it's variants, not just any virus yes?

(just kidding)

I don't use that name for the virus. I always use what I consider the proper name, but cannot on this forum.

24 minutes ago, homeseeker said:

From a non-Thai perspective surely the real issue is:

From the total number of Covid fatalities in Thailand, how many deaths are foreigners?

Does anyone know?

Yes, someone knows.

The real issue is determining who that might be and asking them. 

On 7/11/2021 at 12:29 AM, cclub75 said:

How old are you ?

And do you have health problem like diabetes, hypertension ? Are you obese ?

Throwing "deaths numbers" like this in the air is pointless.

Risks are not equal for everybody.

Last but not least : what is a "death from Covid" ?

A 80 years old with diabetes or heart problems... will be labelled "death from Covid", but it's more likely "death WITH Covid".

-Study the numbers in countries with a good reporting system : average age, median age, comorbidities for deaths and hospitalisations.

-Study the definition (what is a "death from Covid" in UK for instance ? Someone who had a positive PCR test 28 days max prior to death). What is a "positive case" ?

-Study the demographics and the ages structure (the simple aging of baby boomers... leads to higher deaths number every year, it's natural), the "harvesting effect" etc.

That's the only way to assess properly the situation.

The Covid situation is mainly fear mongering.

fear mongering??  It's not just the deaths it's the use of the health care system too. My brother works in the healthcare system in the USA. They were overwhelmed with patients, working massive over time to keep up. bed shortages - sure it's just fear mongering.  Two of my good friends from school died. One was 51 in perfect health, went to the gym, no health issues. He got covid ended up in the hospital for 4 months before he died. Another friend did have health issues. He got covid and sadly died too.  Health issues increase your risk allot, but you can still die from covid if you are in perfect health. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1