Man faces charges for adding ‘Sinovac salesman’ to Thai virologist’s Wikipedia entry

webfact

4 hours ago, stbkk said:

Interestingly I've just read a novel called 'The Circle' based on entirely that concept. Decent read. I think it was intended as an attack on the likes of 'uncle goo' as they call them here.

I read it a few years ago 'Very Scary' and entirely within the realms of possibility in todays WOKE and Cancel culture where the big social communications platforms are practicing more draconian 'Thought censorship' than the Chinese

4 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

This is horrific. While I cannot condone anyone posting nonsense on Wikipedia, complaining to Wikipedia and having it deleted is the appropriate course of action. No respect for the doctor for having someone carted off to prison for a prank. Didn't have a lot for him anyway.

Way over the top response.

They actually attract more attention when they arrest the poor guy.

Fine him 500 baht and apologize to Sinovac LTD and Give the confused virulogest a basket of fruit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, RobU said:

todays WOKE and Cancel culture where the big social communications platforms are practicing more draconian 'Thought censorship' than the Chinese

Wouldn't be surprised if it was all part of the CCP plan it's been proven that 70% of the racist comments after the Euros were posted from dubious proxies abroad causing unrest in the UK.

"Sanjay Bhandari, chair of Kick It Out, the campaign group against racism in football, says that data from the last two seasons of football shows around 70 per cent of abuse originates overseas. “These are not football fans,” he says. “They are people who have never been inside an English football ground.” In part that’s because – while our problem with racism is acute – we don’t have a monopoly on being morons. Italian and French football fans are as likely, if not more likely, to abuse black players with monkey emojis.

Some suggest that Russian or Chinese trolls may have weaponised discontent around football to intensify political and social tensions in England. “It will be totally unsurprising if trolls started sharing bad stuff for these players, given that their goal is to sow public discord, and this is an excellent opportunity to do so,” says Savvas Zannettou of the Max Planck Institute for Informatics in Germany, who studies information warfare online. But to date there is little evidence of what social media platforms call coordinated, inauthentic behaviour."

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/social-media/2021/07/who-behind-online-abuse-black-england-players-and-how-can-we-stop

Edited by misterjames

Legal action? Must have really hit a nerve. 

I wonder what the odds would be on whether Grandpa Google received Sinovac or one of the real vaccines like AZ, Moderna or Pfizer. I'd bet my house on the latter.

It's reassuring to see that the Thai people have seen through the facade of this "benevolent, wise old man". The silver lining to this story is that every future statement "Doctor" (soon to be General?) Yong makes about Sinovac will be overshadowed by this brave young man's comments on Wikipedia. Kudos to you, young man. Much respect, and good luck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

By the by... How do they know who it was that edited the Wiki entry? at

serious quesrion, not knowing how it works.

Good question. Perhaps he didn't use vpn and they requested the details from the website via law.

(but I imagine that would take time, and wikipedia might not be interested in helping convict the young lad)

Or it has something to do with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Thailand#Single_Internet_gateway

Quote:

"single gateway system makes it easier for state authorities to monitor, filter, delete, and intercept information on the internet that the authorities deem inappropriate."

Edited by misterjames

My guess is he just posted without creating a user name. Wikipedia used to list your IP number with your comment if you didn't make a simple account. You don't need a VPN to post critical comments online. You just need to know how to protect yourself and how your ISP and IP works.

I just did a test post on Wikipedia and noticed that it seems to have stopped posting the IP address, so maybe things have changed there.

It's also very possible that the guy did it and posted a comment about what he did and the link to it on his FB or whatever social media website. They could get him that way too.

21 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Can that graduate now sue Wikipedia for sharing is details?

I doubt it as it's almost certainly a violation of Wikipedia's own terms to edit in a manner that is not verifiably truthful or evident. Also, anyone editing Wikipedia does so of their own free will.

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and there is a topic on this forum right now saying everyone should be positively identified with your real name and ID number. 

Actually a number of years ago some bright spark in the government wanted everyone in Thailand to be issued with their own IPv6 address and force them to use it for any online activities.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

I remember a few weeks before Matt Hancock resigned as UK Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, Mike Graham on his radio show described him as appearing to have turned into a 'vaccine salesman' as well.
So the sentiment of senior politicians and advisors selling out like this is not just restricted Thailand.

At least the student didn't mention the $7 commission per vial

the current admin has been getting as documented on many Thai sites

That aside as always it will fall to the young students etc to topple this

mess they call a government

• Like 1