Thai police issue warning about friend requests from foreigners online

webfact

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

I got a Facebook friend request from someone who I know died 2 years ago.  Either his account was hacked or Facebook is expanding into entirely new markets.  

Ah you have been really Ghosted it appears....lol

5 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

RTP spokesman should have said "don't trust handsome Farang" better you trust a handsome RTP in his smart brown uniform... ????

oh dear.... now the Nigerians will post photos of handsome RTP officers and they will be irresistible to Thai women....

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's a local tourism promotion got to do with "Nigerian" romance scams?

They wanted to use Tinder to attract single men to Thailand.

I assume that Thai ladies can meet Nigerian or other scammers on Tinder. Add them as friends and get scammed.

Maybe I misunderstand something here.

• Sad 1

Since I made 'friends' on Facebook with my Thai friends I have had a few friend requests from European/American and Scandinavian strangers. Each one then messaged me mid morning in Thailand but Middle of the night in England usually claiming to have some high powered job, very poor english and grammar. The messages gradually get more desperate claiming extreme hardship. 2 of them said they were doctors working in Afghanistan and needed money to protect themselves and get home. I never received such requests before I had Thai Friends. Many of these requests are so they get access to your friends list. You can deny friends access to that list and specify only trusted friends to have access it slows the proliferation of these fraudsters

7 hours ago, webfact said:

And they have particularly mentioned people claiming to be foreigners as a source of online danger.

Yes. Foreign scum like me do nothing but to seek out Thai people and cause them problems.  I know every time I ask to "friend" a Thai person what I really want is to take advantage of them.  All foreigners are dirty scum and must be carefully monitored. 

Be careful Thai people.  If this farang wants to "friend" you I'm really looking to drain your bank account and have sex with your daughters and your buffaloes
Danger danger danger. .

No more Facebook.  Much easier on Mating Sites.

"Hi!  I'm looking for a hot babe for sex friendship and marriage.  Send me a price an estimate of what you need to support you family and buffalo, and the locations of a curtain hotel cafe where you would like to meet.  I pay cash.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why would anyone 'friend' someone they don't know and have never met?

I get friend requests from some of the Friends of Friends of Thais I know including my wife's friends.  I also know many are looking for a sugar-daddy and would not be predisposed to a relationship as a gik for a price regardless of knowing I'm married and who I'm married to.

And I have no interest.  I'm not going there - ever. 
Honestly, if I want sex I know where to find it. I'm a guy and this is Thailand.  It sure as hell will never be with a "gik" or "mia-noi."  If I hooked up with some gal the entire village and tambon would know and probably half the amphur spanning parts of Lamphun and Chiang Mai.  It's wonderful being about the only farang in my area of the amphur, but it guarantees total lack of privacy.  I (after 14 pushing 15 years living here, much of it in rural Thailand) understand how it works.  And I pretty much know which Thais are "boom-booming' with other Thais.  Village life!  I love it - but I know it's limits.

So - look at my Line and Facebook?  Nothing to see. 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Talking about big brother, has the Thai police don't already have enough on their hands that they into who to be friend on social media....What next i wonder? who to talk to in the street and on the phone?...  

They end up picking up the pieces and dealing with the crime and fraud.

21 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Yet another Thai racist blaming foreigners and depicting us as evil. For those of us that live here, we are perfectly aware that Thai people are guilty of the same BS (sick buffalo), so this fool needs to keep his mouth shut!!!

Always create an enemy to blame all your failures on.......just like the Former Guy still does 6 months in...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, petedk said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's a local tourism promotion got to do with "Nigerian" romance scams?

They wanted to use Tinder to attract single men to Thailand.

I assume that Thai ladies can meet Nigerian or other scammers on Tinder. Add them as friends and get scammed.

Maybe I misunderstand something here.

You didn't read the link properly, did you?  From the link, "... the [Tinder] "Single Journey" initiative is aimed at locals as a way to encourage domestic travel.