question about 92 years old mother who plans to come here and live out her life with her son and his family

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Have you actually been reading Thai immigration entry requirements under covid for the past year  ?

Another question would she cope alone in Thai quarantine ? Who would take care of her if she gets 'pinged' or has to stay in quarantine for any length of time. 

If this lady wants to wait for NO insurance entry, chances are she'll be dead (sadly) when that requirement ends as the poster says it mat be a 'short trip'

Ill explain step by step,more in detail so you too will understand.

Buy ticket, fly in, abide by the rules in quarantine, if that means insurance so be it. Once out of quarantine, off the radar. No need for insurance anymore, cancel it, dont pay, whatever. End result: mum and son are together now. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

It could definitely be a problem for her going to a hospital if on overstay.  It might attract attention of immigration who will want her to repatriate once she is able to travel.  I've know this to happen in Chiang Mai, even for very elderly people.  Also nursing homes/assisted living centers will not accept a new resident on overstay.

The OPs friend is assuming his mother is going to pass quickly, but that often isn't the case.  It may get the point that she becomes so frail that his family can't care for her and she needs care in a nursing home.

All fine and well, good advice. But if this lady says she is ready to die at her age and doesnt see point in insurance, hospitals. There comes a time in life that its done.

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is not reason for her to apply for a extension based upon retirement since she can apply for a non-o visa and then a extension for being a member of her sons family.

No need for medical insurance to apply for the non-o visa or extension. Or any financial proof.

Really? So, to be sure that I got this straight: my elderly mother could apply for a non-o visa based on her being my mother and my having a work permit etc., with no need for medical insurance and no financial conditions? And then she could get a 1-year extension (multiple times, hopefully).

I was totally unaware of that possibility. Naturally, there would still be the pesky quarantine and other COVID-related hassles to deal with.

14 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

Really? So, to be sure that I got this straight: my elderly mother could apply for a non-o visa based on her being my mother and my having a work permit etc., with no need for medical insurance and no financial conditions? And then she could get a 1-year extension (multiple times, hopefully).

I was totally unaware of that possibility. Naturally, there would still be the pesky quarantine and other COVID-related hassles to deal with.

She can apply for a non-o visa and get a extension based upon yours if she is 50 years old or over.

I just hope that she gets there and enjoys whatever time left she has with her family. God bless her soul. I’m sure being around family will give her a bit more fight and a lot more peace. 

51 minutes ago, MayBeNow said:

Ill explain step by step,more in detail so you too will understand.

Buy ticket, fly in, abide by the rules in quarantine, if that means insurance so be it. Once out of quarantine, off the radar. No need for insurance anymore, cancel it, dont pay, whatever. End result: mum and son are together now. 

My comments were not about her 'going off the radar later' but her actually getting in. Way I see it is that this could carry on for many more months, and times a ticking for her. I just cannot see anyone giving her an insurance policy during covid that would make it possible to get there in the first place. I may very well be wrong, but the price would be through the roof

The lady is also frail at 92, so just who will take care of her in quarantine ? I cannot imagine a 92 year old stuck in quarantine for 2 weeks in a wheel chair is feasible - who would take her to the loo ? 

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My comments were not about her 'going off the radar later' but her actually getting in. Way I see it is that this could carry on for many more months, and times a ticking for her. I just cannot see anyone giving her an insurance policy during covid that would make it possible to get there in the first place. I may very well be wrong, but the price would be through the roof

Covid 19 insurance has a age limit of 99 years old and it is not based upon age for the cost. It is based upon the country you are traveling from.

See here to check the cost. https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

She would only need 90 days of covid insurance when entering with a non-o visa.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MayBeNow said:

I wish your friend and his mum a wonderful time together. I would not care for legalities. Fly mum in and let her overstay her visa. Its beautiful mum and son want to do this, best of luck for them!! 

I agree. Someone coming here see out her life doesn't worry about hoops to jump through and whether it is months or years, the warmth will do her good! I see no reason why her son can't extend a stay on her behalf or use an agent to facilitate the paperwork. Insurance? It is unlikely at that age she has any. Probably there is enough money there to take care of eventualities.

Good Luck to them

Everybody seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room here and hasn't asked why the son could not travel back to stay with his mother.

Yes, she may want to spend her time with the whole family and yes taking the whole family to her may not be possible, but if this lady's life expectancy is really so short then it seems it would make much more sense for some (one) of her closet family to travel to be with her, rather than put her through what I can only imagine would be an immensely traumatic experience of getting all the documents to be here, fly long haul, and try and acclimatize to her new environment for a few weeks before she dies.

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Everybody seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room here and hasn't asked why the son could not travel back to stay with his mother.

Unless you are seriously wealthy, it is not usually practicable to jack in your career and dedicate your life to taking care of an elderly parent with no income coming in.

When my father was seriously ill, I was working in Holland, and my father was in the UK. I used to fly back about every other weekend to be with him and assist in his care, but quitting my job to go back full time to the UK was not realistic.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Unless you are seriously wealthy, it is not usually practicable to jack in your career and dedicate your life to taking care of an elderly parent with no income coming in

That's a fair point but if his mother is 93 then there's a fair chance that the son is retired.

Edited by JayClay
(changed "very high" to "fair")
  • Like 1