New Driving Licence Pattaya

The Hammer2021

I have a clean UK driving licence.  I want a Thai licence.  Where do I have to go? What do I have to do. What paperwork  do I need to provide? My UK is old style with no Photo ID. Any knowledgeable  advice gratefully  accepted. I would like an agent to help if required

It's a long time since I got my first Thai D/L. but most of this will still apply

You'll need proof of address - this can to be verified by Immigration.

The your old D/L.

obviously Passport and any other documents - work permit etc.

maybe some spare photos - but in my day they photo'd you there and it went straight onto your new D/L which lasts for 2 years. Subsequent licences last for 5 years.

You'll need photocopies of Passport/visa/workpermit if you have one etc. A work permit with your address on it supplants the need to get proof of address.

You'll also need a medical certificate - go to a clinic and tell them what it's for.

the fee for a D/L is about 200 baht. Not several thousand as some agents would have you believe.

Because you don't have UK photo ID you my have to take the whole test - written, medical and practical.

Others may be able to update this. 

TIP!!!

The DLT nearest Pattaya is near the Regents School on the way to Rayong.

I DIDN"T get my D/L there, I went to the office in Chonburi. - 13.415496600077931, 100.99139135412048

The reason for this was it wasn't full of confused farang and touts trying to get fees for doing what you could do anyway.

There were a couple of stalls there who would photocopy any stuff you hadn't done already, the staff were very helpful and if you go at the right time it's not too crowded.

I got ALL my motoring docs there for years...D/L renewal, drive try car tax, car passport, replacement log book for my motorbike.....etc etc....

you could also get some noodles or pad Krakow if you needed to wait.

Edited by Thunglom

19 hours ago, Thunglom said:

It's a long time since I got my first Thai D/L. but most of this will still apply

You'll need proof of address - this can to be verified by Immigration.

The your old D/L.

obviously Passport and any other documents - work permit etc.

maybe some spare photos - but in my day they photo'd you there and it went straight onto your new D/L which lasts for 2 years. Subsequent licences last for 5 years.

You'll need photocopies of Passport/visa/workpermit if you have one etc. A work permit with your address on it supplants the need to get proof of address.

You'll also need a medical certificate - go to a clinic and tell them what it's for.

the fee for a D/L is about 200 baht. Not several thousand as some agents would have you believe.

Because you don't have UK photo ID you my have to take the whole test - written, medical and practical.

Others may be able to update this. 

TIP!!!

The DLT nearest Pattaya is near the Regents School on the way to Rayong.

I DIDN"T get my D/L there, I went to the office in Chonburi. - 13.415496600077931, 100.99139135412048

The reason for this was it wasn't full of confused farang and touts trying to get fees for doing what you could do anyway.

There were a couple of stalls there who would photocopy any stuff you hadn't done already, the staff were very helpful and if you go at the right time it's not too crowded.

I got ALL my motoring docs there for years...D/L renewal, drive try car tax, car passport, replacement log book for my motorbike.....etc etc....

you could also get some noodles or pad Krakow if you needed to wait.

Thank you. I believe that due to lack of photo ID I will have to do a complete driving test. Can anyone confirm this? If so: What does a complete driving test entail? With forty years clean driving experience in several countries doing a whole test again would be a chore and a bore. Surely there is a VIP/BE/Agent route!?

https://aseannow.com/topic/980988-thai-driving-licence-and-thai-bank-account/

Listen mate:

I read that first post, seems NOT correct.

Getting DL  is so simple.

You start with paying a visit to the Immigration police, you'll get certificate of residence. You must have your passport and the certificate from your landlord/hotel that show how long you stay in your paid accommodation. In my case I had a certificate from KtK regent suites that I shew to the immig. that I paid for 5 weeks stay......

All the copies and photos you can take them in the station..... No work permit needed. I was on my 30 days VE in LoS.

When you get your certificate residence you go the land department early in the morning and you'll get an appointment for the tests.......

Heres the report I posted about my experience:

Edited by Los Luver

Check out a fellow named "greeny" who posts on u tube thingy.  He just got his license.  He had to schedule in advance and run around to a different office than he expected due to odd hours or closures.  His Thai friend was of course helpful in navigating the situation. 

43 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

Listen mate:

I read that first post, seems NOT correct.

Getting DL  is so simple.

You start with paying a visit to the Immigration police, you'll get certificate of residence. You must have your passport and the certificate from your landlord/hotel that show how long you stay in your paid accommodation. In my case I had a certificate from KtK regent suites that I shew to the immig. that I paid for 5 weeks stay......

All the copies and photos you can take them in the station..... No work permit needed. I was on my 30 days VE in LoS.

When you get your certificate residence you go the land department early in the morning and you'll get an appointment for the tests.......

Heres the report I posted about my experience:

Er the link appears to be 2017 pre covid. I assume. I need paperwork. I know I do not need a work permit. I assume I will have to take a driving test. My question is: what will the driving test entail? Is there no way round it?

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thank you. I believe that due to lack of photo ID I will have to do a complete driving test. Can anyone confirm this? If so: What does a complete driving test entail? With forty years clean driving experience in several countries doing a whole test again would be a chore and a bore. Surely there is a VIP/BE/Agent route!?

I think you will need to he'sfrom the DLT

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER TEMPORARY (TWO YEAR) DRIVING LICENSE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  2. 2
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)
  4. 4
    ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS N'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

PROCEDURE

IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED IN NO.4 - FULL STEP FOLLOWING
  1. 1
    CHECK THE DOCUMENTS
  2. 2
    PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM
  3. 3
    IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED IN NO.4 ->
    • * TAKE A TRAINING 1 HOURS
    • * TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A TRAINING 5 HOURS
    • TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A THEORY TEST
    • TAKE A PRACTICAL TEST
  4. 4
    PAY THE FEE / TAKE A PHOTO AND PRINT DRIVING LICENCE (Fee 205 baht for car, Fee 105 baht for motorcycle)

Edited by Thunglom

Just a general reminder.

Those of you with an International Drivers Permit. Thailand only recognises them for 3 months - regardless of how long they are valid. Once you've been in the country for 3 months you should have a Thai D/L.

Thailand does recognise some licences from other countries, but only for 3 months too.

Unless things have changed dramatically, I'd stay clear of the Pattaya office. The one in Sri Racha was closed - I thought permanently.

So th next one is Chonburi.

There ae a few English people on reception who are able to tell you where to go. the bis thing was, it wasn't full of people trying to get tea money.

3 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Just a general reminder.

Those of you with an International Drivers Permit. Thailand only recognises them for 3 months - regardless of how long they are valid. Once you've been in the country for 3 months you should have a Thai D/L.

Thailand does recognise some licences from other countries, but only for 3 months too.

Unless things have changed dramatically, I'd stay clear of the Pattaya office. The one in Sri Racha was closed - I thought permanently.

So th next one is Chonburi.

There ae a few English people on reception who are able to tell you where to go. the bis thing was, it wasn't full of people trying to get tea money.

Edited by Thunglom

Usually I am a do it your selfer but I went I went the agent route with a very nice lady whose office is on Soi Khao Talo.    Let me know if you want an agent and if so I will look for her card..    

Btw, if you are required to take the written test you will probably fail if you don't study.   It's in English but you need 90% to pass and it's not easy.

Edited by shortstop2

1 hour ago, shortstop2 said:

Usually I am a do it your selfer but I went I went the agent route with a very nice lady whose office is on Soi Khao Talo.    Let me know if you want an agent and if so I will look for her card..    

Btw, if you are required to take the written test you will probably fail if you don't study.   It's in English but you need 90% to pass and it's not easy.

It's easy if you pay attention and DO NOT base any answers on what the UK/US/EU/AU/etc.. tests accept. There are maybe 5 questions that can trip you up if you aren't paying attention.

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Er the link appears to be 2017 pre covid. I assume. I need paperwork. I know I do not need a work permit. I assume I will have to take a driving test. My question is: what will the driving test entail? Is there no way round it?

The rules are still the same.

The same papers  are still required. 

Certificate of residence from the immigration
Certificate from a Doctor
Your passport and UK DL
You'll spend 5/6 hours at the station :

You will have to watch some videos (Theory)

you'll take a reflexe test, if you make it, you'll take a theory test in english, if positive you'll take driving test and then you'll sit and wait to get your DL. 

Here you go

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

5 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Just a general reminder.

What you say is wrong.

Google "Thailand driving exam" and you'll see lots of sites where you can practice taking the Thai driving test, they give you the questions and answers. Good Luck.

12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

My question is: what will the driving test entail? Is there no way round it?

If this non photo ID will not be accepted (which I can't tell), it might be worth to spend some money and contact a driving school where you can handle most of the hassle (theory and practical test).

For a price of course.

As you are in the Pattaya area there should be one or more which can handle English speaking foreigners?

"Driving test" at the DLT (office) is a laughing matter.

Circle around on the yard, kind of traffic kindergarten.

As far as I know it's no different at the driving schools.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Moved to Pattaya forum for local knowledge and input. Please also see the pinned topics at the head of Pattaya forum which contain up to date information. 

@ The Hammer - Do you still have a UK address or an Address to which your UK licence is registered ?

Your Paper counterpart Licence is now invalid since 2015.

IF you still have a UK address apply for a ‘Card licence’ and get it delivered to your UK address, then get whoever can to forward it out here (it should only take a couple of weeks from ordering to getting it here if you can do that. 

That said: The Thai DLT don’t really know the differences between licenses and counter parts etc.. so you may get away with a ‘direct swap’ and just do a couple of classroom eye tests etc instead of the full exam and practical. 

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:
18 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

what is wrong - please point out the error.

There is no 3 months limit for using a foreign driving license / IDP in Thailand.

This has been kicked around loads of times and there is no certain answer, just a prevailing opinion.

As I understand it: 

IF someone is on a ‘Non Immigrant Visa’ they are not considered tourists and thus must be driving with a Thai Licence.

IF someone is not on a Non Immigrant Visa, the are considered tourist and can rely on a Licence from their home country, IF that licence is in English Language, otherwise they need an IDP. 

The 90 day issue regularly crops up, I’ve never seen anything written, but that does not mean that there is 90 day limit. 

The reality is that if the Police stop you and you show then a UK (Card) licence, they don’t know what they are looking at and will either say OK, or ask for an IDP (which you don’t need !), even if you show then your expired paper counterpart licence they may just say ok, or ask for an IDP or just wave you along... 

You never know - the only way to be 100% sure of avoiding hassle is to get a Thai Licence.

The other facet is ‘insurance’ and there is always a risk of the insurance attempting to ‘wiggle out’ of paying for damages if you are not fully licensed to drive in Thailand or fall within a grey area (i.e. longer than 90 days)/

The reality here is that car insurance companies in Thailand tend not wiggle out of paying out - they’re pretty good. But, that could change at any time. 

Op: You are doing the right thing by trying to get a Thai licence.

The IDP issue and 90 days is just noise - your UK license is no longer valid anyway, so just see what you can do to get  Thai licence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is no 3 months limit for using a foreign driving license / IDP in Thailand.

Yes - to clarify.

Many insurance companies won't cover you if you hv been driving on an IDP for over 3 months eve though internationally it lasts for 1 year.

Also If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. 

Basically You can use an International Driving Permit as a tourist, but if you've been in the country for 60 days or more then you are supposed to get a Thai driving license. Having a valid driving license from your home country will make the process of getting a Thai driving license go faster.

Edited by Thunglom

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This has been kicked around loads of times and there is no certain answer, just a prevailing opinion.

As I understand it: 

IF someone is on a ‘Non Immigrant Visa’ they are not considered tourists and thus must be driving with a Thai Licence.

IF someone is not on a Non Immigrant Visa, the are considered tourist and can rely on a Licence from their home country, IF that licence is in English Language, otherwise they need an IDP. 

The 90 day issue regularly crops up, I’ve never seen anything written, but that does not mean that there is 90 day limit. 

The reality is that if the Police stop you and you show then a UK (Card) licence, they don’t know what they are looking at and will either say OK, or ask for an IDP (which you don’t need !), even if you show then your expired paper counterpart licence they may just say ok, or ask for an IDP or just wave you along... 

You never know - the only way to be 100% sure of avoiding hassle is to get a Thai Licence.

The other facet is ‘insurance’ and there is always a risk of the insurance attempting to ‘wiggle out’ of paying for damages if you are not fully licensed to drive in Thailand or fall within a grey area (i.e. longer than 90 days)/

The reality here is that car insurance companies in Thailand tend not wiggle out of paying out - they’re pretty good. But, that could change at any time. 

Op: You are doing the right thing by trying to get a Thai licence.

The IDP issue and 90 days is just noise - your UK license is no longer valid anyway, so just see what you can do to get  Thai licence. 

It's not actually wiggling out of it...if it's written in their policy, its there in black and white.

There are also connected issues that are likely to arise if you have an incident that involves an insurance claim. E.G the non-tourist status - my company AXA take that to mean any non tourist visa = i.e.. non A. O, B etc 

I now many expats drive around in a very grey legal situation hoping that if anything untoward happens they can just pay their way out of it. This is becoming less and less easy, as insurance companies look to costs and police activity is increasingly scrutinised.

Edited by Thunglom

20 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

With forty years clean driving experience in several countries doing a whole test again would be a chore and a bore.

The part to be concerned about would be the written test... but if your current DL is valid, I don't think you have to deal with that... 

Consider getting Pink Photo UK Driving License Online. No Agents !

Go amyway to DLT with COR / UK Valid Paper License ( seriously dude ?! )/

DLT Medical  Cert ( any Clinic)/ Passport / Visa.Originals + Two Copies of All..

Get your DLT Car & Bike Licence together.....Longstay Visa gets 5 Year DL.

Otherwise 2 Year DL.......

Should pass DLT Stage 1 ( Application Acceptance& Appt. ) with those docs. alone. Much Later is Stage 2 (Eye Test & DL Issue). 

TIP: Bring a Next Day Flight Reservation to make it a Walk In DL Issue at Stage 1 .......

12 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The part to be concerned about would be the written test... but if your current DL is valid, I don't think you have to deal with that... 

Most expats took their driving tests back in the days when they were totally inadequate. since then they have "self-educated" in driving.....in reality they have just developed a raft of bad driving habits. Taking your test in Thailand should not be a problem, it will act as a a much needed refresher for some and introduce them to driving requirements in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

Many insurance companies won't cover you if you hv been driving on an IDP for over 3 months eve though internationally it lasts for 1 year.

The compulsory insurance doesn't require a driving license, additional voluntary insurances (which many don't have anyway...) can of course write in their policy what they want, for this case it helps to contact the insurer or read the policy. For example my insurer told me that me having a German driving license is good enough for them.

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

Also If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. 

A non-immigrant visa holder is not a resident under Thai law, but a temporary visitor, same as any tourist.

A foreigner with permanent residency status can't use a foreign driving license, same as a Thai citizen. A non-immigrant visa holder, being equal to a tourist, can use a foreign driving license/IDP without limit (except of course for the expiry date of the license/permit)

Edited by jackdd