New Driving Licence Pattaya

The Hammer2021

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The part to be concerned about would be the written test... but if your current DL is valid, I don't think you have to deal with that... 

I have a current UK driving licence. I want a Thai driving licence. I have been told I may need to do a driving test here because my UK driving licence does not have photo  ID. Is this correct? What does a driving test here entail?

18 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Just a general reminder.

Those of you with an International Drivers Permit. Thailand only recognises them for 3 months - regardless of how long they are valid. Once you've been in the country for 3 months you should have a Thai D/L.

Thailand does recognise some licences from other countries, but only for 3 months too.

Unless things have changed dramatically, I'd stay clear of the Pattaya office. The one in Sri Racha was closed - I thought permanently.

So th next one is Chonburi.

There ae a few English people on reception who are able to tell you where to go. the bis thing was, it wasn't full of people trying to get tea money.

I don't care about a tea money. I WANT TO PAY someone to help me resolve  this issue.

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Consider getting Pink Photo UK Driving License Online. No Agents !

Go amyway to DLT with COR / UK Valid Paper License ( seriously dude ?! )/

DLT Medical  Cert ( any Clinic)/ Passport / Visa.Originals + Two Copies of All..

Get your DLT Car & Bike Licence together.....Longstay Visa gets 5 Year DL.

Otherwise 2 Year DL.......

Should pass DLT Stage 1 ( Application Acceptance& Appt. ) with those docs. alone. Much Later is Stage 2 (Eye Test & DL Issue). 

TIP: Bring a Next Day Flight Reservation to make it a Walk In DL Issue at Stage 1 .......

Slight correction: 

Whichever visa a foreigner holds: The first Issue of a Driving Licence (or Motorcycle Licence) is for a 2 Year Temporary Licence

IF the holder has a Non-Immigrant visa the 2 year DL can be renewed for a 5 Year Driving Licence

26 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I have a current UK driving licence. I want a Thai driving licence. I have been told I may need to do a driving test here because my UK driving licence does not have photo  ID. Is this correct? What does a driving test here entail?

Your UK Paper licence is no longer valid (since June 2015) - You can get the Card UK licence online (for £20) but you need to have a UK address (the DLVA will deliver the licence to the UK address - someone can forward it on to you here). 

With a UK Card Licence you do not need to do the full Thai Test - just the much shorter and less hassle classroom tests. 

OR... IF you don’t want to bother obtaining a UK licence the full Thai Test involves.

1) Theory Test (50 multiple choice questions - you need to get 45 right)

2) Practical checks tests: 

- Color Blindness

- Peripheral Test

- Reflex Test

- Depth Perception Test

3) Practical Driving Test  (very simple). 

This resource has some useful info: 

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/thai-driving-license/#Practical_Driving_Test

Edited by richard_smith237

I wanted to post this as a separate comment as its relevant, but not quite on Topic: 

You cannot get an International Driving Permit with a Thai 2 Year Temporary Driving License - thus your Thai Licence will only allow you to legally drive in Thailand (fine if you don’t plan on going anywhere). 

Your UK licence has expired, so you will not be able to use that if you plan on returning to the UK and driving there - As mentioned earlier, you can get renew a UK licence online (its a quick and painless process if you have a UK address). 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your UK Paper licence is no longer valid (since June 2015) - You can get the Card UK licence online (for £20) but you need to have a UK address (the DLVA will deliver the licence to the UK address - someone can forward it on to you here). 

With a UK Card Licence you do not need to do the full Thai Test - just the much shorter and less hassle classroom tests. 

OR... IF you don’t want to bother obtaining a UK licence the full Thai Test involves.

1) Theory Test (50 multiple choice questions - you need to get 45 right)

2) Practical checks tests: 

- Color Blindness

- Peripheral Test

- Reflex Test

- Depth Perception Test

3) Practical Driving Test  (very simple). 

This resource has some useful info: 

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/thai-driving-license/#Practical_Driving_Test

Wrong 100% incorrect. My paper license is a 100 % valid. It only  losses its validity when replaced with photo ID licence. There is no forced replacement as all "old hands'  know. There might  be an issue when the holder of the old style licence reaches 70 YO and is required to replace it with a photo ID license or if change of address issues require change of license.  But if you have the same address your old license remains valid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Wrong 100% incorrect. My paper license is a 100 % valid. It only  losses its validity when replaced with photo ID licence. There is no forced replacement as all "old hands'  know. There might  be an issue when the holder of the old style licence reaches 70 YO and is required to replace it with a photo ID license or if change of address issues require change of license.  But if you have the same address your old license remains valid.

My mistake...  I assumed you were ‘younger’...

It is any Paper Licence which was issued since March 2000 which are no longer valid. 

Any Paper licence issued before 31, March 2000 remains valid (until 70 years old or 2033 whichever is first).

Edited by richard_smith237

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My mistake...  I assumed you were a ‘whipper-snapper’....

It is any Paper Licence which was issued since March 2000 which are no longer valid. 

Any Paper licence issued before 31, March 2000 remains valid (until 70 years old or 2033 whichever is first).

I know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I know.

For the benefit of anyone else reading who may not.

My licence was renewed after 2000 - I lost the card which was issued with the Paper Counter-part, no worries, I always needed the paper counterpart to hire a car etc...  then at some time 2016/17 after a conversation on the subject I realised I was driving my fathers car illegally !!!