Embassy PR stunt

DUNROAMIN

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

can you be more specific .... how do you know & why do you say this  ...  thanks

There were a number of such comments on Twitter including one from the Netherlands Ambassador. The second sentence is simply my own presumption.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I fell into the trap but was fortunate enough to be not successful in my online application. In hindsight this was excellent as it was an Astrazeneca vaccine which is not recommended for people under 60 years of age. I am 54 and rather dismissive of the photo opportunities????????????????????????????

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

unlike the British Embassy which is adamant that it will do absolutely nothing for the British living outside the UK.

I read they have already been vaccinated in the Falklands. Goes to show that logistics likely not the issue here. 

Same for the USA, for crying out loud Guam is giving them away to foreigners as vaccine tourists ! Pretty sure they're not manufactured on Guam

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

Whatever it is, there will always be a few complaining about it ????‍♂️

Myself, actually I was happy about the offer and gladly took up the chance to register. I was rather surprised when I received the confirmation and info when and where to get vaccinated.

Lucky enough, I managed to get ny girlfriend vaccinated too - without pre-registration. As I observed this was possible for several more people - priority was given to pre-registered people.

• Sad 1

I think the people to complain about here are the wunnerful Thai government, not the Embassies.

Would you all be congratulating the Embassies if they had turned down the Thais' hypocritical token offer? I think not.

• Like 2

Just now, Asquith Production said:

Most dont expect any help but when a once in a life time event occurs you would think that some help would be forthcoming especially as most would have paid into a government system and the difficulty off getting vaccinated here.

They do provide the help that they're mandated to ie: notifying the Aus gov and providing knowledge of what steps to take next (to my knowledge anyway). They aren't and never have been there as a safety net

So it seems the UK 'embassy' got notified along with the rest but did nothing. Typical! Today got email from British Chamber of Commerce that we can attend along with Thai wrinkleys to queue up at Bang Sue station. Somebody feeling guilty at 'embassy'? I think not!

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

The expats should be at least a little bit grateful that the Embassies accept a certain responsibility for getting their citizens vaccinated, unlike the British Embassy which is adamant that it will do absolutely nothing for the British living outside the UK.

The Canadian Embassy took no responsibility. They clearly stated the are just a messenger for the Thai government and in no way are responsible for this vaccine or the message. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

I read they have already been vaccinated in the Falklands. Goes to show that logistics likely not the issue here. 

Same for the USA, for crying out loud Guam is giving them away to foreigners as vaccine tourists ! Pretty sure they're not manufactured on Guam

The Falklands are a territory of the UK, and Guam is a territory of the US. Thailand is not a territory of either one.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The Falklands are a territory of the UK, and Guam is a territory of the US. Thailand is not a territory of either one.

Which is why I stated that logistics and geography are clearly not the issue to distribution of vaccines.

Edited by tonray

13 minutes ago, arick said:

Canadian government did a huge disclaimer... Making it very clear they are acting as and only as the messenger for the Thai government and staying far far away from this. 

As did the US Embassy - I'm not sure how anyone reading this could characterize this as an "Embassy PR stunt":

"The Thai Government has informed the U.S. Embassy that it is offering U.S. citizens in Thailand the opportunity to be vaccinated"

"By  filling out this form, you acknowledge that your information is going directly to the Thai Government coordinating officials, not the U.S. Embassy."

"This  is a limited opportunity offered by the Thai Government."

"Registration  information is being collected by the Royal Thai Government, not the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok.  The U.S. Embassy will not have access to information on the form."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, new2here said:

I was one who was simply “in the right place, at the right time” and was able to sign-up and get approved (and jabbed sunday)

What was your experience?

One report I read (from an Aussie I think) was that the whole process took 5 hours, 3 of which were waiting outside in the heat.

And is SCG Building a company or a hospital?