Embassy PR stunt

DUNROAMIN

23 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

that very few people would actually turn up

I was there. There were not "very few", but over one thousand, according to Thaiger. They were vaccinating fast, once you got to the vaccination station. The crowds were substantial and it took me about three and a half hours to go from the entrance to the exit because of the large numbers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

C'mon! He's an Aussie, of course, he just woke up with a hangover!

Yes, publicity stunt. The devious part was whether the stunt was intended to benefit the image of the foreign embassies or Thai govt.

The choice of vax venue--Siam Cement Group--is telling.

19 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Initially I had similar opinion of thought about the sudden issue of this invitation at such short notice.

After learning it was generic to several Embassies which made it clear that this was an offer by the Thai Government but limited to 100 individuals  per each I concluded it was a PR token that could be quoted to counter critical comment about separatist policy regarding non Thai nationals regarding  equitable access to vaccination based on risk factors as has been the policy of those same Embassy nations in eligibility regardless of nationality or status/reason to be present.

Given that Thailand has come up very short in adequate provision of vaccines for virtually anyone other than the well connected "elite" this tokenism is more of an insult than any arguable justification.

The best "stunt" other than has been admirably demonstrated by the French via it's Embassy in giving timely  notice to all it's Nationals over 55yrs in Thailand to register and then receive a valid vaccination of J&J . That puts paid to any BS that it can not be done and further to the lie that there is no ability to access vaccine outside of the criteria set by the Thai Government.

Simply said, it just goes to show how truly disgusting these cockroaches really are along with their inept ability to govern. One lie after another coming from their filthy word holes on a daily basis.

• Like 1

as some have already mentioned it, this seems to be a pr stunt by the Thai govt so can say they offered 20% of the donated vaccines to the ex-pats.  They informed the embassies early morning for that afternoon and it was only for Bangkok as by the time the embassies could get the word out, those that got it early may have been able to get to the location for a jab.  There is nothing that I have seen that says afterwards, those that did get jabs haven't gotten guaranteed 2nd doses.  The embassies say it is not their duty to alert their citizens of a Thai govt program but that it should be done by the Thai govt giving adequate notice to all foreigners.  Their immigration process should guarantee where the foreigners live and their telephone numbers.  Anyone who has seen the reports of hospitals announcing a registration/pre pay or jabbing knows that the process breaks down usually within seconds.  I know some ex-pats have actually gotten the AZ vaccine, others claim to have registered and are waiting for available vaccines but most of those have been in the provinces surrounding BKK and within BKK or he islands hoping to become a sandbox example.  I have contacted my hospital which is a member of the private hospitals and they once started to have a registration/jabbing only to cancel the day before it was to start as they didn't receive the vaccines.  I also noted that in this latest bit with the embassies involved, each was told that they were limited to 100 people.  On top of that, BKK is a dark red zone so any of us outsiders would have other ramifications such as schooling in Chiang Mai etc if they open on 1 Aug.  I certainly don't expect any US approved vaccines to reach Chiang Mai and the surrounding provinces until at least Oct or later.  My opinion anyway. I do hope all stay safe and avoid the virus D.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

ambassador representing our country. It looks like he just woke up from a hangover. Cheers

Ah! Sir Les Patterson, also Chairman of the Cheese Board! You should be proud of him!

Don't come the raw prawn, Blue!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Oxx said:

The expats should be at least a little bit grateful that the Embassies accept a certain responsibility for getting their citizens vaccinated, unlike the British Embassy which is adamant that it will do absolutely nothing for the British living outside the UK.

I remember flying in to the airport just after the tsunami and seeing all the embassies had tables in the airport to help the people coming up from southern Thailand, Everyone was there except the British embassy at the time I was there.

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Lets hit the combi van and take a spin to grab a slab cobba.

Steven i thought all comments on here were to be in English, not gobble di gook.

Would you be kind enough to translate your post so we can understand it.????????????????

Edited by colinneil
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

You said it!

Yes I read it on Thai visa an hour after registrations closed. Have written to the embassy asking why from their data base we were not notified by email. No answer.

21 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Initially I had similar opinion of thought about the sudden issue of this invitation at such short notice.

After learning it was generic to several Embassies which made it clear that this was an offer by the Thai Government but limited to 100 individuals  per each I concluded it was a PR token that could be quoted to counter critical comment about separatist policy regarding non Thai nationals regarding  equitable access to vaccination based on risk factors as has been the policy of those same Embassy nations in eligibility regardless of nationality or status/reason to be present.

Given that Thailand has come up very short in adequate provision of vaccines for virtually anyone other than the well connected "elite" this tokenism is more of an insult than any arguable justification.

The best "stunt" other than has been admirably demonstrated by the French via it's Embassy in giving timely  notice to all it's Nationals over 55yrs in Thailand to register and then receive a valid vaccination of J&J . That puts paid to any BS that it can not be done and further to the lie that there is no ability to access vaccine outside of the criteria set by the Thai Government.

I was lucky to have called the Consul the previous day to ask our embassy to do like the french did in Bangkok.  The embassy then replied by inviting me to go the next day at the SCG building to get vaccinated.  The must have been more than 600 foreigners as my number was 455.  It went fast and very smoothly.  I hope they do this periodically again only for foreigners.

IMG20210718170239.jpg

Edited by yimlitnoy

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

It still amazes me that people think that Embassies are an overseas extension of their home country's welfare state. 

Should not amaze you. With a little critical thinking you might be able to comprehend some things about the USA. We Americans are required to pay annual income tax on worldwide income. The USA has some laws they declare are enforceable globally. US military retirees have earned global healthcare coverage while civilian retirees are told there is no healthcare coverage outside USA physical territory.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What was your experience?

One report I read (from an Aussie I think) was that the whole process took 5 hours, 3 of which were waiting outside in the heat.

And is SCG Building a company or a hospital?

Siam Cement Group, one of the largest companies in Thailand.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Steven i thought all comments on here were to be in English, not gobble di gook.

Would you be kind enough to translate your post so we can understand it.????????????????

'  Lets hit the combi van and take a spin to grab a slab cobba '

Translation :    We should get in the car and drive to the shop to buy a box of beer friend  ( usually 24 cans = slab  )  

A combi is slang for VW Combination car / van ....  hence they got the name combi van. Very popular with surfers in the 70's ......   

image.png.80c34612265fc0a19ef72d4be14ac7f0.png

hope this clarifies the slang ..... Lol

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yimlitnoy said:

I was lucky to have called the Consul the previous day to ask our embassy to do like the french did in Bangkok.  The embassy then replied by inviting me to go the next day at the SCG building to get vaccinated.  The must have been more than 600 foreigners as my number was 455.  It went fast and very smoothly.  I hope they do this periodically again only for foreigners.

IMG20210718170239.jpg

I am left confused as to your reply. Which Nationality Consulate  "invited" you to attend the vaccination site which I  can only assume was attended by the collective assembly of all nationalities who received notice via respective Embassies/Consulates ? Did you  simply walk in ? No prior registration?  Could  you have been from well outside Bangkok? Cold you  assert that the number of  vaccinations exceeded  the 100 per nationality ?

On 7/20/2021 at 8:34 PM, Nojohndoe said:

I am left confused as to your reply. Which Nationality Consulate  "invited" you to attend the vaccination site which I  can only assume was attended by the collective assembly of all nationalities who received notice via respective Embassies/Consulates ? Did you  simply walk in ? No prior registration?  Could  you have been from well outside Bangkok? Cold you  assert that the number of  vaccinations exceeded  the 100 per nationality ?

Before going to this collective assembly of foreigners, I did not simply walk in, I had to officially submit my name and some details (age and passport number) to the Embassy to get the authorization to go for vaccination.  I cannot assert the number of vaccinations per nationality, I have only said that there were at least more than 455 foreigners of all nationality in the whole room. 

All this was done in a rush:  On Friday the Thai government sent the info of vaccination to the embassy, on Saturday I registered my name with the embassy at their request and on Sunday I got the vaccine.  All my others registrations to Mor Prom, Intervac, many hospitals, resulted to nothing...