Thailand reports 11,305 new COVID-19 cases, 80 more deaths

webfact

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is getting typically Thai weird... So now, the Bang Sue station vaccination center has been accepting some number of daily foreigner walk-ins for vaccination but only those age 75 and above. But the same place is now accepting registrations from foreigners age 60 and above... 

"The Central Vaccination Center - Bangsue Grand Station also accepts limited walk-in registration for same-day vaccination for foreigners aged 75 and over between 09:00 - 16:00 daily."

Also, the form doesn't indicate when the people registering via that method will actually be able to be vaccinated. But at least it's supposed to be the AZ vaccine instead of the Sinovac one. And, Richard Barrow in his post on this program says those registering today would be able to go for vaccinations on Thursday.

I think you're confusing yourself.

- Registered individuals will be notified of appointment details directly by the Central Vaccination Center - Bangsue Grand Station via sms/email.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Somehow, the Thai government today is back to publicly claiming that they'll be able to source/supply 100 million COVID vaccine doses during 2021, including 61 million of their own locally produced AstraZeneca vaccine.  Even though, they now acknowledge the producer, Siam Bioscience, likely won't be able to deliver the government's promised 10 million doses per month for the rest of the year, and instead, likely only half that amount per month at best.

Via Google Translate:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=th&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fpr.moph.go.th%2F%3Furl%3Dpr%2Fdetail%2F2%2F04%2F161518%2F&sandbox=1

The Ministry of Public Health has provided 100 million doses of vaccine to people by 2021.

"Today, the Department of Disease Control and Pfizer Co., Ltd. have signed a contract to supply 20 million doses of mRNA vaccine after the cabinet approved it. It will be delivered as planned by the fourth quarter of 2021. The 1.5 million doses of Pfizer vaccine donated by the US government to Thailand will arrive at the end of July.

Dr. Opas continued, The supply of the COVID-19 vaccine has been signed and will deliver on contract terms of 100 million doses in 2021, including 61 million doses of AstraZeneca, 19 million doses of Sinovac and 20 million doses of Pfizer.

“For the news that we need 3 million [AstraZeneca] doses per month. not true. Monthly demand is at 10 million doses. According to recent negotiations, the company will send us at least 5-6 million doses per month. depending on the production capacity If it can produce more, it will deliver more,” said Dr. Opas."

Let's see... 5 plus months left in 2021. They've already received about 5,5 million local AZ doses. That means they'd need to receive about 11 million doses per month on average for the remainder of the year to meet their supposed goal/target of 61 million local AZ doses for 2021...  How's that gonna happen?

And what's become of the government's talk a few days ago about trying to prevent the local AZ producer from continuing to export two-thirds or so of their production to other countries, so that Thailand can take a larger share? (Not saying I think that's a good or the right idea...)  But, no mention of that in this very long announcement/statement from the MoPH.

Vaccine supply is one of the more confusing parts of the vaccine program. And yet it should be one of the most clear cut. You know what contracts you have signed, you know the delivery dates, so you calibrate your registration and vaccine appointments from that. If supply dates change, your recalibrate accordingly. You then chart progress against your daily, weekly, monthly targets. If bottlenecks appear you divert resources to clear them. If vaccine supply is insufficient then you beg, steal or borrow, or sign more contracts.

but it all seems a mess, starting with the vaccine supply amounts and dates.

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Very few over the age of 75 years have been given their initial dose.  I believe it was around 19 walk ins today.  Now they expecting a rush for foreigners over 60, thus adopting the registration process for bookings.

I think it’s no surprise that numbers above 75 are relatively limited. Over 60 will be very different. They can expect to be busy.

51 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

After dropping to their lowest level in a week on Monday, new COVID cases reported Tuesday for Bangkok province sharply rebounded upward to their highest number in the past week with 2,764 new cases. Bangkok is the second line on the chart below showing daily totals for the past week. The first line is total domestic cases for Thailand for those same days:

2100320194_2021-07-20BKKDailies.jpg.bfd288dfc1eac8ab36dfac05d929f25a.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/369009724717358/?type=3

2021-07-20d.jpg.cb8b66b94555ba80831825c5895a533b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/369009398050724/?type=3

Also worth noting, Bangkok province is now reporting a COVID case fatality rate (CFR) of 1.56% for the current third wave of the pandemic since the beginning of August. That means 1,835 official COVID deaths during that time out of 117,692 official COVID cases. That's almost twice as high as the comparable CFR for Thailand as a whole.

I wonder if the rising CFR is a function of overwhelmed hospitals and people not being able to get medical care as a result?

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not usually the quitter type, however this has just about worn me out. After watching all the failed apps and cancelled appointments etc .....I finally decided to give the recent (Sunday) appointment jab at SCG a try.

Despite getting online VERY early Friday evening, it was another failure. Allocation full. I believe it was VERY small allocation per embassy.

There is also the recent merry go round at the 2 hospitals in Bangkok where the spots are very limited per day and booked out very quickly.

In my 60,s I have given up on this process.

Will wait till end of this year and hope more vaccine available.

Any Johnny Lang fans might know song

......"A quitter never wins" 

I'm out.

More avenues will open up up Dr Jack. Just wait for them to come along. Things change fairly rapidly within the course of a week or two. And the longer you wait, the more chance of getting in on the Pfizer that’s been ordered! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Yes you can point out your opinion as much as you want however the quote was from a link to a credible source, they also thought it significant enough to publish. 

Again I asked you to seek out the actual study, instead of asking me questions? Did you? No, you come back again to the messenger. I have read the study and its summary also says.

"Risk of COVID-19 hospital admission was approximately doubled in those with the Delta VOC when compared to the Alpha VOC, with risk of admission particularly increased in those with five or more relevant comorbidities."

In addition to that study another study also shows people infected with delta test positive more quickly following exposure, suggesting more rapid viral growth. -The viral loads are 1000 times higher in delta when first detected. This alone proves people are getting sicker, quicker which means they need to be tested and admitted to hospital quicker. In a situation like Thailand where testing and hospital admissions is very limited then Delta will be responsible for more serious cases and deaths, definition, more dangerous because of lack of resources.

If people are shedding 1000X more virus, the probability that a close contact will be exposed to an infectious dose is much higher. If people become contagious more quickly after exposure, they can have more opportunity to infect others.

So Delta is not only more dangerous because of its transmissibility but also because of its viral load evading the immune system.

However I'll leave you with an experts view on Delta given just 3 days ago:

"Delta variant is the most dangerous variant we have ever seen’, says Professor Ravi Gupta a clinical microbiologist who sits on the government’s NERVTAG committee, which advises on the threats posed by Covid and other viruses. When he was interviewed by Channel 4 UK.

Its certainly most dangerous variant we have ever seen, its transmissibility is elevated and it has immune evading capabilities.

Now your opinion is certainly welcome but I'll stick to my original post, views shared above along with the statement by Professor Ravi

But none of the points you raised addressed the issue I raised which was about how differing levels of vaccination by age could skew the results. So that while Delta may seem disproportionately dangerous to younger persons, it might be just because they were less likely to be vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

But none of the points you raised addressed the issue I raised which was about how differing levels of vaccination by age could skew the results. So that while Delta may seem disproportionately dangerous to younger persons, it might be just because they were less likely to be vaccinated. 

That was quick, did you really read my whole post and follow the links where your particular query will be found in the actual study.......DYOR

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, anchadian said:

I think you're confusing yourself.

- Registered individuals will be notified of appointment details directly by the Central Vaccination Center - Bangsue Grand Station via sms/email.

What I said is correct. The registration form doesn't tell WHEN the vaccinations will occur. But it does tell HOW the person will be notified of their date.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

That was quick, did you really read my whole post and follow the links where your particular query will be found in the actual study.......DYOR

I didn't introduce the study as evidence. You did. Not incumbent upon me to do your homework for you.

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I didn't introduce the study as evidence. You did. Not incumbent upon me to do your homework for you.

Here's what you asked:

"Was that adjusted for vaccination rates? The old are vaccinated at a much higher rate than the young."

I've gone as far as giving you link to the actual study to discover, take it or leave it up to you. I'm done.

Edited by Bkk Brian

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I suppose you can ignore it if you don’t think it’s interesting. It’s not compulsory reading.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

More avenues will open up up Dr Jack. Just wait for them to come along. Things change fairly rapidly within the course of a week or two. And the longer you wait, the more chance of getting in on the Pfizer that’s been ordered! 

I was going to say, yes, with the U.S.  Pfizer doses due to arrive at the end of this month, that means there will be an additional 150,000 doses set aside for foreigners... and the remaining 1.35 million going to Thai medical workers as a first priority, and then elderly Thais as a second priority.

So, there probably will be more of these pop-up vaccination opportunities like we've seen in the past week or so, as we reach the end of the month and move into August... at least for the 60 and above set.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What I said is correct. The registration form doesn't tell WHEN the vaccinations will occur. But it does tell HOW the person will be notified of their date.

I suspect that you will be notified later about the date of vaccination. That’s how it worked in Phuket.

I registered and just got a response that my details were recorded. Then I had to go into the app on a daily basis to see what appointments I had been given and where.

I don’t think they can tell you a date when you register, because they don’t know exactly when vaccine will be available!

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was going to say, yes, with the U.S.  Pfizer doses due to arrive at the end of this month, that means there will be an additional 150,000 doses set aside for foreigners... and the remaining 1.35 million going to Thai medical workers as a first priority, and then elderly Thais as a second priority.

So, there probably will be more of these pop-up vaccination opportunities like we've seen in the past week or so, as we reach the end of the month and move into August... at least for the 60 and above set.

Ya, and also the 20 mil doses coming before year end. There was a photo with the Pfizer lady, so maybe these have actually been ordered 5555.

8 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I don’t think they can tell you a date when you register, because they don’t know exactly when vaccine will be available!

Depends on the system being used. When I registered via the now defunct Intervac website during the early part of its brief life, I and others actually were reserving a spot on a specific future date and at a specific hospital. So when you completed that process, you knew exactly when you were going. In my case, the actual vaccination appointment was about 3 weeks after my booking was made.

11 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Ya, and also the 20 mil doses coming before year end. There was a photo with the Pfizer lady, so maybe these have actually been ordered 5555.

The year-end Pfizers from Thailand's belated purchase are still a relatively long way off.... But the donated U.S. ones are getting close enough to smell them... (I hope!)

• Like 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Depends on the system being used. When I registered via the now defunct Intervac website during the early part of its brief life, I and others actually were reserving a spot on a specific future date and at a specific hospital. So when you completed that process, you knew exactly when you were going. In my case, the actual vaccination appointment was about 3 weeks after my booking was made.

Yup. I have a feeling thats maybe why that system is now defunct. It made appointments that couldn’t be kept.

I’m only guessing, I don’t actually know. I just think that with each one of these registration systems it’s  a question of following the process and seeing what transpires. Hopefully one of them comes up trumps. If it doesn’t, it’s on to the next one, as and when it gets announced. Intensely frustrating, but what else to do?

No surprise here then. China instead wants to focus on “further research around earlier cases globally and further understanding the role of cold chains and frozen foods in the transmission of the virus.”

China Rejects WHO Call for More Transparency on Origins Probe

On Friday, World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus asked China to be more cooperative with the second phase of the WHO’s investigation into the origins of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19.

On Monday, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said bluntly that the “work plan on the second phase origins study proposed by the WHO Secretariat is at odds with the position of China

https://thediplomat.com/2021/07/china-rejects-who-call-for-more-transparency-on-origins-probe/

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Deli said:

Mortality rate less than 1 %. Is this worthwhile killing livelyhoods, businesses and the economy?

Wake up, open up and accept casualties.

Do you understand that the relatively low mortality today is due to the very restrictions you complain about?

If they didn’t close the bars, more people would be dead.

• Like 2

#PhuketSandbox update on Tuesday: 6 local cases and 1 Sandbox case with 105 patients now in hospital.

WEEK ONE: 24 local + 1 sandbox = 25 cases

WEEK TWO: 38 local + 9 sandbox = 47 cases

WEEK THREE: 39 local + 9 sandbox in six days

#COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1417633062137909251

#SamuiPlus update on Tuesday: 0 local case and 0 Samui+ cases

Day 1: 9 people on 3 flights

Day 2: 1 person on 1 flight

Day 3: 0 people on 0 flights

Day 4: 5 people on 2 flights

Day 5: 2 people on 1 flight

Day 6: 1 person on 1 flight

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1417633594416066562

• Like 1

Thailand reports new daily record of 13,002 coronavirus cases

COVID21.JPG

File photo//REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

Thailand on Wednesday (July 21) reported 13,002 new COVID-19 cases and 108 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1224792-thailand-reports-new-daily-record-of-13002-coronavirus-cases/

//CLOSED//

/Admin