Is living in a Thai village in the middle of nowhere becoming more appealing now?

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Considering he could have thrashed me with one arm tied behind his back, I doubt the first 2 options were realistic.

You think I had the right to kick him out of the family house? His parents might have had something to say about that.

You sound like a keyboard warrior that would never do what you think I should have done in the same situation.

Touche

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

A few old and sick people dying a few months earlier ....... hardly devastating.

Government panic lockdowns and border closures, completely devastating to almost everyone.

Had Thailand stayed completely open and no restrictions , they would be looking at a .5 % death rate , (same as Peru) , which would be about 350 000 deaths

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

The world will return to what it was before.

We have had influenza pandemics before that killed millions.  Even now with most people having been exposed to it and vaccines available it still kills around 500,000 people per year.

Covid will be like that too.  It will be around and people will die from it.  But it won't be as devastating as it is now.  It will become the norm just like flu. 

Never going to be the same again after this event. 

It could be spreading through any number of villages right now, and nobody would even know until it’s too late. Covid free villages are tomorrow’s hot zones. 100% unvaxed, elderly populations.

Edited by sucit

14 hours ago, IraqRon said:

Yes. yes yes, I live in a village and cherish the peace and quiet of having hundreds of hens, roosters, etc. going off at 4am and other times of the day, the neighbors dogs, as well as the ones I inherieted doing the same, and then the voices of the people who talk accross distances to each other.  As it is a village in a agricultural area the dust and dirt from tilling, etc. is great too.  Not to mention the lack of any western items nearby to buy and that I need.  

So if you really want a village life I have two houses to sell to you.

If you love Village life so much, why have you got 2 Houses.

One should have given you some idea of what to expect.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Is that via WiFi or VPN, because that is very slow otherwise.

Who are you paying Bht 600 a month to?

Wifi with TOT. They have much faster offers now but everything works fast enough for me.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

A few old and sick people dying a few months earlier ....... hardly devastating.

Government panic lockdowns and border closures, completely devastating to almost everyone.

IMO, in the future the people will be thinking the governments of today must have been barking to destroy their economies for such little gain.

Meanwhile the rich get even richer.

The prospect of death is not as unwelcome as it used to be, if it's the only way I escape the madhouse awful future that is coming when the, IMO, inevitable inflation really starts to destroy our lives. It could even be as bad as the depression of the 30s, IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No big deal IMHO, wake me up when the death rate reaches 10%.

The leftie/greenie/liberals screamed the world is overpopulated.

They screamed that there was too much air travel.

Then they scream just as loud when what they demanded starts happening.

IMO that's because the corona might affect THEM. When it was other people suffering that was OK with them, IMO.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 11:28 PM, BritManToo said:

No big deal IMHO, wake me up when the death rate reaches 10%.

The leftie/greenie/liberals screamed the world is overpopulated.

They screamed that there was too much air travel.

Then they scream just as loud when what they demanded starts happening.

Imagine that .. raising concerns about climate change and about pandemics, and not just letting the pandemic run it's course to solve climate change. How can their brains think about 2 things at once. Amazing.

I see people, let's call them scientists, saving peoples lives by finding a vaccine and on finding ways to address climate change. 

The screaming is from those sitting back and criticising those who try and fix things as though climate change and covid are part of the natural order of things. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry, my idea of a pandemic is dead bodies rotting in the streets, and burying the dead with bulldozers (28 Days later), my idea of climate disaster is NYC covered in ice (The Day After Tomorrow) or surrounded by desert (Maze Runner).

I've always been one to adapt to change rather than try and hold back the tide.

You can adapt by doing stuff, and supporting others doing stuff, rather than just copping it and saying that  worse things could happen in someone's imagination. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, johng said:

Just wait till they catch on to Nitrogen ! :tongue:

Nitrogen fertilizers are incredibly efficient, but they make climate change a lot worse. Nitrous oxide (N2O) (more commonly known as laughing gas) is a powerful contributor to global warming. It is 265 times more effective at trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide and depletes our ozone layer.

44 minutes ago, OtisOtis said:

2 months in a small farming village so far.

30 to 40 minutes to makro, lots of shopping, Farang restaurants.   

Small Tesco 15 minutes away, and larger rural city.

Lots of insects, and crawly things, which don't bother the locals, but annoy me.

Lots of 11 year olds piloting loud motorbikes with no tailight or license plate.

I think I am only only Farang within 5 km?

Have internet, with tv.

The neighbors drop by often with various fruit.

Girlfriends family would make hillbillies look sophisticated.

University graduate gf with a decent job is happy living in village squalor, something I thought I could change.

I go to the barn her parents have called home since she was tiny, and understand that is what she will turn the nice home we live, whether I resist, or not.

I see no need to keep a pile of plastic bottles or cardboard in the yard, waiting for her father to pick it up...someday....to earn 3 baht.

Family is more important, period.

I've spent time in rural houses before.

I don't mind the rural stuff.  

Sometimes the people are too annoying.  

What else?

Not much respect for other people's property.    I find people I don't know wandering my yard, or cutting through.   Parking motorbikes in my yard to climb the wall and steal mangos front next door.

I have had people just walk into the house, unannounced.

I put up security cameras.

Sounds good

On 7/20/2021 at 5:22 PM, Johnny Mac said:

I'm not really talking about Covid, just generally.

I've had a decent run, can't complain too much, maybe time to take a back seat and let others go into battle. I've got 2 youngsters and feel sorry for them and fear for their futures in this world now.

I do believe that there are many parents who feel just as do you.  You are not alone in your justifiable angst.