Is living in a Thai village in the middle of nowhere becoming more appealing now?

On 7/22/2021 at 8:02 AM, Whale said:

Being hassled by dogs, was a constant scourge for me. Spoilt the bucolic dream for me. All I wanted to do was poison them, was not good for my mental health.

Do you mean in the city or the village? Dogs are everywhere.

On 7/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, Tanomazu said:

most end up hating the boredom, lack of restaurants, lack of shopping, lack of services and lack of entertainment.

A hobby can relieve any boredom, both myself & partner are good cooks so restaurants not needed, shopping is BORING NECESSITY so Tesco/Makro/market once a week, what services and entertainment do you lack? There's plenty to watch online.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 6:54 PM, Tanomazu said:

Where do you live now, close to a city or in a remote village?

I don't see what relevance that has to what I said, but- I live on the outskirts of a very small town with very little in the way of city amenities. I hate going into the big city because of the crazy traffic, so I mostly stay in my "home" or go to the farm.

While retired, I have so much to do that I'm always busy with a project or 5.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 7:08 PM, Tanomazu said:

Yes, it certainly does take a person with a certain mindset to endure the isolation for a longer time period. Who can do just gardening, building sheds and walking around all day? This is a lifestyle for a person advanced in years possibly more than for a younger or middle aged man. Today's generation has grown up on fast internet, the latest PS4 games, world class shopping, highly developed culinary demands and entertainment options. Who would want to forego that for a life walking in the fields? Only the very driven, like say the Unabomber who wanted write his thoughts down and build things to wage war on society. Or if TBL says, you are a fanatic gardener, or as madmen says someone in thrall to a female from the country, possibly someone who loves the idea of country. But to pull that off for longer than 6-15 years really takes a certain mindset. You'd basically have to opt out of the modern world to a large degree. Even fast internet is not available in the remote village. It just doesn't look very attractive.

LOL. Gardening, building sheds and walking ( or riding a horse or m'bike ) around all day is what most farmers do ( I don't consider machine cultivation to be real farming ) as part of their everyday work life and most of them start young.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:08 PM, Tanomazu said:

Today's generation has grown up on fast internet, the latest PS4 games, world class shopping, highly developed culinary demands and entertainment options.

If that is "modern life" thank the good lord that I'm not young. Sounds like a very spiritually empty life filled with superficiality to me.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:30 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I'll wager a large percentage of guys in the Issan countryside are there because that's where the old lady is from. You could have bought a house in town, moved to a location of your liking since you're paying, could have where you'd be closer to civilization and away from her family. Always those who post how her family loves him and accepts him, never borrows money and stays away unless invited. But hey love the positive posts, stay happy.

Indeed. I'd never have moved to the village but for my wife. I did enjoy it while I was there, but I'd have hated living there alone. I was planning to get into gardening big time, but we had to move away because of the family, so that was a pleasure I was denied.

• Like 1

Been my plan to retire in rural Thailand for the last 20 years 

Worked on a farm in my youth and the city in later careers enjoyed both.

Here now for 4 months is all I planned worked for and anticipated it to be 

Hardest part after a busy working life was accepting the fact that on occasion doing nothing is just fine ????

Today as forecast it is raining, as planned first coat of paint on the kitchen, nice and cool, bored? Can't see it, slow days yes, to be enjoyed as no justification for devoting many hours to employers required.????????

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 6:24 AM, Cake Monster said:

I live in a Village, and I love to wake up and see the Sky

There are very few pressures, and living close to a City, things I need are only a Short distance away.

I know I could not live in Bangkok for any length of time.  Pattaya I always thought I could, but man the last decade they built so much.  Hardly an unbuilt piece of greenery left.  I remember soi Yume being not even paved. 

12 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Been my plan to retire in rural Thailand for the last 20 years 

Worked on a farm in my youth and the city in later careers enjoyed both.

Here now for 4 months is all I planned worked for and anticipated it to be 

Hardest part after a busy working life was accepting the fact that on occasion doing nothing is just fine ????

Today as forecast it is raining, as planned first coat of paint on the kitchen, nice and cool, bored? Can't see it, slow days yes, to be enjoyed as no justification for devoting many hours to employers required.????????

my feelings exactly now at age 64 and able to retire.  One more contract engineering job to finish out the year, then on to medicare, and start my social security.  Plenty of income.  I am always bored, so not having to get up and go to work will not be a big challenge!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

I know I could not live in Bangkok for any length of time.  Pattaya I always thought I could, but man the last decade they built so much.  Hardly an unbuilt piece of greenery left.  I remember soi Yume being not even paved. 

A few minutes east of Suk and it's lush green. The only question is are you willing to pay for acreage?

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 3:04 AM, KannikaP said:

A hobby can relieve any boredom, both myself & partner are good cooks so restaurants not needed, shopping is BORING NECESSITY so Tesco/Makro/market once a week, what services and entertainment do you lack? There's plenty to watch online.

I am sure you're both good cooks, but you can not replicate the fine dining experiences which top chefs create for patrons. Unless, like them you and the wife are willing to spend all day in the kitchen. I am pretty sure you don't.

Sure, home cooked food can be very good, but most people like a change, most people like the special dining experiences which top chefs provide, by labouring all day in the kitchen. And home cooks can not provide that.

Of course shopping is a boring necessity if you only go to Makro and Tesco. However, if you have the options available in the cities it is far from boring and you would not have to shop for just food. That's the whole point.

What services and entertainment I would lack in the village? As was explained above by people who live in villages they have severe problems to find plumbers, electricians, medical services are not around the corner and poorer, car mechanics are fewer. Basically people with skills are hard to find in the middle of nowhere. And sometimes you need those people.

As for entertainment, the choice of dining options which you admitted is the case since you eat only home-cooked food, no cinemas, no nothing. Sure the internet provides entertainment, but it is very slow in the countryside. And sometimes you want something different.

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't see what relevance that has to what I said, but- I live on the outskirts of a very small town with very little in the way of city amenities. I hate going into the big city because of the crazy traffic, so I mostly stay in my "home" or go to the farm.

While retired, I have so much to do that I'm always busy with a project or 5.

So you live close to a town, not in a village in the middle of nowhere. I think it's very relevant. What are these projects that keep you busy?

LOL. Gardening, building sheds and walking ( or riding a horse or m'bike ) around all day is what most farmers do ( I don't consider machine cultivation to be real farming ) as part of their everyday work life and most of them start young.

Exactly my point. Which is why this huge exodus of farmers to the city takes place. It's a horrible, boring life, in the countryside.

If that is "modern life" thank the good lord that I'm not young. Sounds like a very spiritually empty life filled with superficiality to me.

Yet you type this on the internet, a rather non-spiritual modern activity. You're right of course, modern life is spiritually empty, it is materialist. Which is a good thing. You can enjoy real life. If you want to meditate on re-incarnation the monasteries are available of course, city or country side.

14 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

I am sure you're both good cooks, but you can not replicate the fine dining experiences which top chefs create for patrons. Unless, like them you and the wife are willing to spend all day in the kitchen. I am pretty sure you don't.

Sure, home cooked food can be very good, but most people like a change, most people like the special dining experiences which top chefs provide, by labouring all day in the kitchen. And home cooks can not provide that.

Of course shopping is a boring necessity if you only go to Makro and Tesco. However, if you have the options available in the cities it is far from boring and you would not have to shop for just food. That's the whole point.

What services and entertainment I would lack in the village? As was explained above by people who live in villages they have severe problems to find plumbers, electricians, medical services are not around the corner and poorer, car mechanics are fewer. Basically people with skills are hard to find in the middle of nowhere. And sometimes you need those people.

As for entertainment, the choice of dining options which you admitted is the case since you eat only home-cooked food, no cinemas, no nothing. Sure the internet provides entertainment, but it is very slow in the countryside. And sometimes you want something different.

I agree with all you say, but I am still happy here in my little jungle hut!   LOL

I am only 35 km from the big city of Phitsanulok so just far enough away or close as the case may be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Praise Thailand. Very happy for you. I doubt that is the case across the board in villages in the middle of nowhere though.

Middle of nowhere Kanchanaburi - good enough for me - 600 Baht/month

1006963796_Screenshot2021-07-26at14_19_44.png.55bdc3dcfecff517b93a4033ce8fde18.png

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I agree with all you say, but I am still happy here in my little jungle hut!   LOL

I am only 35 km from the big city of Phitsanulok so just far enough away or close as the case may be.

And I am of course very happy for you that you found what works for you. Of course the more experiments mankind makes, the more likely we all progress. Personally a small suburb out of town yet close to the town/city,  or an island paradise with modern amenities like Samui seem the best option. I couldn't take the noise in even Pattaya central, but everyone now and then we all need Tokyo or Bangkok or New York or London or Paris or whatever city you can get to. The excitement and facilities are just on a different level in the big cities.

8 minutes ago, Saltire said:

1006963796_Screenshot2021-07-26at14_19_44.png.55bdc3dcfecff517b93a4033ce8fde18.png

Thanks, good to know, but that would not work for me, you could not stream video in 4K with that reliably.

Edited by Tanomazu

1 minute ago, Tanomazu said:

Thanks, good to know, but that would not work for me, you could not stream video in 4K with that reliably.

Good enough for Netflix though. No problems with streaming.

There is faster on offer now since I had this, but don't need it.

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

Is that via WiFi or VPN, because that is very slow otherwise.

Who are you paying Bht 600 a month to?

2 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

Praise Thailand. Very happy for you. I doubt that is the case across the board in villages in the middle of nowhere though.

My wife's village in the middle of nowhere had excellent internet speed. Up near the Laos border. Nearest city was a 3 hour bus ride away.

2 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

And I am of course very happy for you that you found what works for you. Of course the more experiments mankind makes, the more likely we all progress. Personally a small suburb out of town yet close to the town/city,  or an island paradise with modern amenities like Samui seem the best option. I couldn't take the noise in even Pattaya central, but everyone now and then we all need Tokyo or Bangkok or New York or London or Paris or whatever city you can get to. The excitement and facilities are just on a different level in the big cities.

I hate going to the city now because the traffic is diabolical, the parking atrocious, everything I want is far apart, and the public transport  less than desirable.

Almost everything I need is available in the nearby town, and I can easily park and walk to everything I need. It just doesn't have any big city type restaurants ( mainly takeaways ) except chains like Maccers and KFC. No nightclubs or theatres or that sort of thing, but I don't miss them anyway, so happy enough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Don't see why going back to the old lady's folks is as trashed as it is. It's good to be amongst a supportive community, where everyone knows you're there helping the fam, as opposed to another faceless farang in BKK. It's helped me get jobs and when dealing with the govt. When we've needed things fixed or work done, we just called the brother or uncle who knows this guy or that guy, who's likely to do it well and not screw us. Networking.

Granted, a bit of luck is involved. I've heard the tales here of roosters crowing all night and speakers blasting in their moo bans, and am fortunate to have not wound up with any of those. But I'm most greatful to no longer be around the BKK traffic jams, cost of living, and pompous hi-so attitudes. I believe what would greatly help this country move forward is to no longer have so much of the commerce and development concentrated around BKK.

My wife's village was incredibly noisy. I fail to understand why the monks thought it a good idea to broadcast their chanting at a high volume before dawn. We had a talking petrol pump outside the house, so had all the farm hands filling up on way to work. Then the village head was broadcasting the news in the morning.

Didn't have any roosters all night though.

The most annoying noise of all was the inconsiderate nephew that played his amplified bass guitar every night after midnight.

Of course the wife wouldn't do anything about it, so we had to leave the village. Pity as I quite liked living there.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course the wife wouldn't do anything about it, so we had to leave the village. Pity as I quite liked living there.

Did you not consider a) Confiscating the said bass guitar, or b) Amputating his fingersor c) kicking the little 5hit out?

Left Phuket after 7 years in 2013. Been living beachside in a small fishing village/beach town in NST ever since.

Cities are great to visit but I could never live in one.

Never been a fan of going to the cinema.

Strong fibre internet here.

Mostly quiet... and the noise us usually music or people having fun, not really an issue.

Amazing Thai food... plus great Finnish, Italian, and French restaurants in the village. Plus my wife cooks our home-country favourites!!

I prefer shopping online and can buy anything you can find in BKK and more...

But ultimately there are city folk and country folk... its a lifestyle choice and i am very happy with mine.

• Like 1