British man Phuket’s latest Sandbox infected case

webfact

13 minutes ago, n8sail said:

Not really true.  ACH on airplanes is usually 20+, so it is much less likely than originally thought to catch on an airplane.   ACH of 6+ is the minimum recommended to avoid COVID aerosol infection, which is the way  99%+ of cases are spread.

https://covid.ri.gov/covid-19-prevention/indoor-air-circulation

And I wouldn't worry too much about the toilet.  You're probably more likely to catch a nice case of HSV-2 from the toilet seat than COVID-19.   I posted this yesterday, and I'll post it again.  At 1 in 10,000 chance of contracting it by touching a 'contaminated' surface, I don't think we have much to worry about.

"Quantitative microbial risk assessment (QMRA) studies have been conducted to understand and characterize the relative risk of SARS-CoV-2 fomite transmission and evaluate the need for and effectiveness of prevention measures to reduce risk. Findings of these studies suggest that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection via the fomite transmission route is low, and generally less than 1 in 10,000, which means that each contact with a contaminated surface has less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of causing an infection 7, 8, 9."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

Follow the science.  Stop the madness.   It is idiotic to close outdoor dining, bars, pools, beaches, golf etc.  You simply have VERY small chance of catching it if the area is ventilated!

Coffee, Tea or Covid ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

THIS.

It's a form of 'flu, it will always be with us, as all viruses are.

You do know that Coronaviruses and Influenza viruses are a different viruses right ?

They are as different as Influenza and Rhinoviruses.

This ‘new’ strain of Coronaviruses are quite different. 

There were initially only 4 strains of ‘human’ Coronaviruses which impacted humans, these were.....

- Two types of Alphacoronavirus: Human coronavirus 229E, Human coronavirus NL63.

- Two types of Betacoronavirus: Human coronavirus OC43, Human coronavirus HKU1.

These 4 Coronavirus caused approximately 20% of common household colds. 

Then over the past 20 year came another 3 Betaoronavirus which were a lot more dangerous and were zoonotic (i.e. had passed over from animals).

Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus - (MERS - with a ± 30% case fatality rate and fortunately low transmission)

Severe acute respiratory syndrome–related coronavirus-1 (SARS-CoV - with a ± 10% case fatality rate and fortunately low transmission)

And now we have Severe acute respiratory syndrome-2  (SARS-CoV-2 - with a lower case fatality rate but extremely high transmission rates). 

‘Its a form of flu’ is accurate if you are into the type of generalisation that highlights an absence of knowledge... in much the same manner someone may just suggest that water and wine are the same, they’re all drinks. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Scientists could create a single vaccine that fights multiple coronaviruses within 5 years, potentially preventing the next pandemic, an expert says

I wonder if there were scientists back in 1984 that predicted a cure for HIV also?  That is 37 years ago and still no vaccine to prevent it, nor medicine to cure it. 

The CDC announced the major routes of transmission for HIV in 1984. The cause of the virus was identified the following year. By 1996, a “cocktail” of drugs that halted the progression of the HIV virus before it developed into AIDS was being used to treat patients. These antiretrovirals prolong life, but they are not a cure.

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

.From the previous infected flight, all 14 passengers had to be quarantines, not only those high risk seating close to him.

There were more than 14 passengers on that flight - according to one of the passengers who posted on this forum. They noted over 50 people de-boarded in Phuket (I think they said 70 or so passengers).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Man with coronavirus disguises as wife on Indonesian flight

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-coronavirus-disguises-wife-indonesian-074415113.html

"disguised as his wife, wearing a niqab covering his face and carrying fake IDs and a negative PCR test result". 

It's amazing that all you need to do to get into an airplane is wearing a niqab covering your face and claiming that you are a mouslin woman.

May be he was Bin Laden or whoever.

Meanwhile, we must take everything off at the airport, inlcuding hat, belt and shoes.

23 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

How soon preflight is the covid test? Seems odd to arrive and be positive straight away, unless he cheated the test

one can be tested negative an if tested again in one the test can be come positive. in average 6 hrs after infection there is a chance you can be tested positive.

flight time is about 10-12 hrs and you are tested before that. 

14 hours ago, tonray said:

The last place I'd want to be with an opportunistic, virulent disease is on a cramped airplane. On a long flight all it takes is one carrier and everyone who uses the bathroom is potentially infected. (as if plane toilets weren't already nasty enough on long flights)

Cramped plane? You must be joking.. I just flew in 30 seats on the plane taken and every one vaxed including a swab before boarding. 

Your post is total nonsense 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

If i was going to sandbox id have a pocketful of self test kits and pop one as soon as I got off flight before letting the thai nurses stick me....my "alibi" just in case

*IF* I were to go...not

Quick test is no alibi.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:21 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You do know that Coronaviruses and Influenza viruses are a different viruses right ?

They are as different as Influenza and Rhinoviruses.

This ‘new’ strain of Coronaviruses are quite different. 

There were initially only 4 strains of ‘human’ Coronaviruses which impacted humans, these were.....

- Two types of Alphacoronavirus: Human coronavirus 229E, Human coronavirus NL63.

- Two types of Betacoronavirus: Human coronavirus OC43, Human coronavirus HKU1.

These 4 Coronavirus caused approximately 20% of common household colds. 

Then over the past 20 year came another 3 Betaoronavirus which were a lot more dangerous and were zoonotic (i.e. had passed over from animals).

Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus - (MERS - with a ± 30% case fatality rate and fortunately low transmission)

Severe acute respiratory syndrome–related coronavirus-1 (SARS-CoV - with a ± 10% case fatality rate and fortunately low transmission)

And now we have Severe acute respiratory syndrome-2  (SARS-CoV-2 - with a lower case fatality rate but extremely high transmission rates). 

‘Its a form of flu’ is accurate if you are into the type of generalisation that highlights an absence of knowledge... in much the same manner someone may just suggest that water and wine are the same, they’re all drinks. 

Did you copy and past that from Wikipedia?

Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation has this to say.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-similarities-and-differences-with-influenza

Influenza IS a Coronovirus, what we have now is a different strain, possibly coming from an animal, or possibly coming from US funded biological warfare in a Wuhan lab..

Edited by LongTimeLurker

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Did you copy and past that from Wikipedia?

Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation has this to say.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-similarities-and-differences-with-influenza

Influenza IS a Coronovirus, what we have now is a different strain, possibly coming from an animal, or possibly coming from US funded biological warfare in a Wuhan lab..

Corona virus is not the same virus as influenza. I can understand why you may think I ‘copied and pasted’ that information from Wikipedia if you are someone who’d struggle to retain such basic information but don’t project your lack of retention on others. 

At least amongst people who read from factual sources and can retain what they read its common knowledge now that there are now 7 types of Human Viruses, 4 of which cause the common cold. 

For those who didn’t already know that since the SARS and MERS outbreaks, then they’ve probably read that since this latest outbreak of SARS-CoV-2.

Now, if you upped your reading age a little you would recognise that the link you provided discusses similarities in that both viruses target the respiratory system, both viruses are transmitted via aerosol... The article also lists a number of differences. The article does not state is that the viruses are the same virus. 

This could simply be a result of TMI - too much information:

You have become mixed up with the similarities between a Human Corona Virus and a Human Influenza virus - they are different viruses in the same way that Cats and Dogs are different mammals....  In this analogy it could be suggested that the Alphacoronaviruses are two certain breeds of dogs (i.e. Poodle and Spaniel) and the Betacoronaviruses are two other breeds of dogs (i.e. Laradoor and a Golden Retriever)... SARS-CoV-1 is a Rottweiler, MERS is Wolf and SARS-CoV-2 is a very randy German Shepard which has copulated excessively an in some cases produced linage of very aggressive German Shepards. 

To carry on with the analogy, Influenza; Cats... various different strains of Influenza are cats.. ranging form the household moggie, some have allergies to them, to the tiger, potentially dangerous to many who become exposed. 

Apologies for the over simplified analogy, but as the saying goes, if you can’t explain it to a six year old, you don’t understand it - I hope you get it now. 

Your comment on ‘US funded biological warfare in a wuhan lab is typical conspiracy theorist rubbish’... close enough to the reality while at the same time missing the boat... 

US funded, yes, biological warfare, no.. Just research on Coronaviruses outsourced to the Wuhan Institute of Virology by US virologists and paid for by US grants and leaked out of the lap due to very poor bio containment practices. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Corona virus is not the same virus as influenza. I can understand why you may think I ‘copied and pasted’ that information from Wikipedia if you are someone who’d struggle to retain such basic information but don’t project your lack of retention on others. 

At least amongst people who read from factual sources and can retain what they read its common knowledge now that there are now 7 types of Human Viruses, 4 of which cause the common cold. 

For those who didn’t already know that since the SARS and MERS outbreaks, then they’ve probably read that since this latest outbreak of SARS-CoV-2.

Now, if you upped your reading age a little you would recognise that the link you provided discusses similarities in that both viruses target the respiratory system, both viruses are transmitted via aerosol... The article also lists a number of differences. The article does not state is that the viruses are the same virus. 

This could simply be a result of TMI - too much information:

You have become mixed up with the similarities between a Human Corona Virus and a Human Influenza virus - they are different viruses in the same way that Cats and Dogs are different mammals....  In this analogy it could be suggested that the Alphacoronaviruses are two certain breeds of dogs (i.e. Poodle and Spaniel) and the Betacoronaviruses are two other breeds of dogs (i.e. Laradoor and a Golden Retriever)... SARS-CoV-1 is a Rottweiler, MERS is Wolf and SARS-CoV-2 is a very randy German Shepard which has copulated excessively an in some cases produced linage of very aggressive German Shepards. 

To carry on with the analogy, Influenza; Cats... various different strains of Influenza are cats.. ranging form the household moggie, some have allergies to them, to the tiger, potentially dangerous to many who become exposed. 

Apologies for the over simplified analogy, but as the saying goes, if you can’t explain it to a six year old, you don’t understand it - I hope you get it now. 

Your comment on ‘US funded biological warfare in a wuhan lab is typical conspiracy theorist rubbish’... close enough to the reality while at the same time missing the boat... 

US funded, yes, biological warfare, no.. Just research on Coronaviruses outsourced to the Wuhan Institute of Virology by US virologists and paid for by US grants and leaked out of the lap due to very poor bio containment practices. 

I think the words alphaCORONOVIRUS and betaCORONOVIRUS for what you call the common cold give it away.

If the US funding of gainer function research was so benign why didn't they carry it out in Sheboygan?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Dr. Faucci, he said why in a public statement.

Please let us know what he said. If you're referring to the claim he did it for personal financial gain, that has been debunked a long time ago already.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:53 AM, stevenl said:

No, not true. Those in high risk area around the man would have to quarantine, and no, insurance will not cover. And since beds have been booked already for 14 days there are no additional beds booked.

Can delete please didnt read properly.

Edited by stretch5163
reading error

On 7/22/2021 at 8:22 AM, tonray said:

The last place I'd want to be with an opportunistic, virulent disease is on a cramped airplane. On a long flight all it takes is one carrier and everyone who uses the bathroom is potentially infected. (as if plane toilets weren't already nasty enough on long flights)

unless it was an family emergency imo you would have to be a total fool to fly now. I believe this virus especially effects areas of the brain where common sense originates..

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who knows why the research was not carried out at BioLife, Sheboygan

Dr. Faucci, he said why in a public statement.

Dr. Faucci made a public statement announcing why there was no research on Coronaviruses being carried out a BioLife Sheboygan ?

So what?  he is vaccinated isn't he?  Many people that are vaccinated can carry or transmit the virus.   Stopping a handful of travelers that took all prescribed precautions is penny wise and pound foolish as millions of Thais run around un vaccinated

• Like 1
  • Sad 1