Redundancy pay to a Thai

I have someone who has worked casually for me for about 7 years as a domestic and she has decided to return home to her province. What indemnity/redundancy should I pay as a MINIMUM (obviously I will pay above that). I heard that in law you should pay X percent of yearly wage times amount of years worked for a full time employee.  Anyone any ideas what the legal minimum amount would be? 

7 minutes ago, Whale said:

What indemnity/redundancy should I pay as a MINIMUM

Legally, none, as far as I'm aware given:

8 minutes ago, Whale said:

she has decided to return home

If you fired her, then legally you'd have to pay her.

That said, considering current circumstances, it would be nice of you to give her a parting "gift" if you have the wherewithal, especially if you've been happy with her work.

• Like 2

Unless she has a written signed contract with you, you need not pay her anything. 

I think you can google a western type redundence package and work out something for her you will be happy with. 

• Like 1

Just to clarify she is leaving of her own will and she has been informally employed but I want treat her OK and not less than a full time proper employee would get.

I did find it online its ... so its about a years wage.

Employment period Rate of severance pay
120 days but less than one year 30 days
One year but less than three years 90 days
Three years but less than six years 180 days
Six years but less than 10 years 240 days
10 years but less than 20 years 300 days
20 years or more 400 days

With my employer I was entitled to two weeks pay per year for first five years and then one months per year thereafter. Standard rate for teachers on international circuit.

Mind the wages are quite high in these schools…

Edited by Bluespunk

In the UK it was one weeks pay for every year and 1.5 weeks pay for each year over 40 years of age. But that's redundancy, when the employer no longer has a job for you. If you jack, you're entitled to nothing. Nice thought though, if she's been a good employee and you have the money, why not.

As others have said, there is no redundancy obligation if an employee voluntarily resigns. A parting gift is appropriate, however in exchange for a signed resignation letter (in Thai). Avoids any future dispute over the circumstances of the termination of employment.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 5:21 AM, Whale said:

and she has decided to return home to her province.

she is the one who decides to move on. leaving you behind, so actually she should arrange for you that you are not left behind struggling.

that you want to show that you appreciate her work and services is a different story. since you want to show this just give het one year of salary. 1/7 of the time she worked for you. just a small tip of 14%.

but when you ask me , she diced to move on. just whish her luck. more is not needed.

If an employer decide to leave there is no severance pay to my knowledge. My Thai GF paid our long time full time (live-in) domestic worker 5,000 baht per year she had been with us, topped up with 10.000 baht extra so around 40,000 - 50,000 might be very fair; you shall however adjust for part time work....????