Life Ladprao vs Life Asoke Rama 9 (condos)

dj230

Ladprao and Asoke are very different. If you don't know the difference then I suggest rent something in Asoke and then, after some time, have a look at Ladprao. I would be surprised if you would consider living in Ladprao after you lived in Asoke.

Living near the work place is obviously good. But some friends told me that living near the place where they like to go out (i.e. Soi Cowboy) is much more important. Why? Because in the morning you can ride with the BTS or MRT to work or take a car. If it takes i.e. 1/2 hour that is ok.

But if you live "far away" from the place where you want to party, do you really want to drive to that place after work? And do you really want to spend a long time in a taxi at 2am when you want to go home?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ladprao and Asoke are very different. If you don't know the difference then I suggest rent something in Asoke and then, after some time, have a look at Ladprao. I would be surprised if you would consider living in Ladprao after you lived in Asoke.

Living near the work place is obviously good. But some friends told me that living near the place where they like to go out (i.e. Soi Cowboy) is much more important. Why? Because in the morning you can ride with the BTS or MRT to work or take a car. If it takes i.e. 1/2 hour that is ok.

But if you live "far away" from the place where you want to party, do you really want to drive to that place after work? And do you really want to spend a long time in a taxi at 2am when you want to go home?

How’s Siam compare to asoke? 

I looked at condos in asoke last week, Ashton asoke, life asoke rama 9, and some others (but those are the two I’m thinking of) 

life asoke rama 9 was extremely nice if anyone’s wondering, looked like a resort more than a condo, and for the price, hard to choose something else 

i may look at life one wireless, these life condos are something else 

only reason I’m considering Ashton asoke is there’s less units (less chance of a covid outbreak) and also it’s in a better location. Has both MRT/BTS, terminal 21/interchange 21 right beside it. Figured this might be better since I’m new to Thailand, and then I could move to another condo once I’ve got an idea of where everything is

I noticed life asoke rama 9 was packed with tenants, lots of people in lobby’s hanging out and tons of people ordering food or just walking around the condo (looked like there was a lot of guests/friends of tenants coming over, lots of people were waiting outside with no keycard to be let in)

Ashton asoke was dead, very little tenants out and about, 0 people waiting to be let in. 

but life asoke rama 9 was way nicer 

Edited by dj230

4 hours ago, dj230 said:

only reason I’m considering Ashton asoke is there’s less units (less chance of a covid outbreak) and also it’s in a better location. Has both MRT/BTS, terminal 21/interchange 21 right beside it.

Sorry, I think that doesn't make much sense. If you are very concerned about Covid what is riskier? The few people who you meet in your apartment (lift) or the hundreds or thousands of people in probably the busiest interchange MRT/BTS, terminal 21/interchange 21?

If you want to be in the middle of everything then chose Asoke or near that area. I live maybe 1km away from Asoke forever and I would never consider an apartment "far away" like Ladprao. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sorry, I think that doesn't make much sense. If you are very concerned about Covid what is riskier? The few people who you meet in your apartment (lift) or the hundreds or thousands of people in probably the busiest interchange MRT/BTS, terminal 21/interchange 21?

If you want to be in the middle of everything then chose Asoke or near that area. I live maybe 1km away from Asoke forever and I would never consider an apartment "far away" like Ladprao. 

I won't be going out much with lockdowns (nothing to go to anyways), but you need to sign a 1 year lease most of the time and I doubt we will be locked down for 1 year

There was almost nobody in interchange 21 when I went and people normally don't go out if they're sick, but they still have to stay at home if they're sick and get food (go to the lobby). I'd say it's much riskier running into a few dozen people each time you enter the lobby, especially when there are active cases in the condo at the moment, just look at what happened to cruise ships.

Also, lets say you lived at rama 9 and needed to go to the BTS, do you think going on the rama 9 MRT, then going to the BTS/MRT line is more safe than just going directly to the BTS/MRT line, you're adding an extra stop and more time on transit. That is my viewpoint at least.

Ashton asoke has had fewer cases than Life Asoke Rama 9, from the data I was given from real estate agents, there was about 26 at life asoke rama 9 (past few months) and only 12 at Ashton Asoke (since feb 12)

Edited by dj230

39 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Ashton asoke has had fewer cases than Life Asoke Rama 9, from the data I was given from real estate agents, there was about 26 at life asoke rama 9 (past few months) and only 12 at Ashton Asoke (since feb 12)

That's interesting.

Do those buildings (have to) publish those numbers?

It seems in my place I only hear about Covid cases when my gf hears about them in the building grapevine. 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's interesting.

Do those buildings (have to) publish those numbers?

It seems in my place I only hear about Covid cases when my gf hears about them in the building grapevine. 

Hm, I am not sure if they have to, im pretty much brand new to thailand but i know both these condo's have applications/websites/line that show it and it's updated, i saw screenshots for both ashton asoke's and life asoke rama 9's

maybe ask your condo's management if they have an app/line chat for it, i just saw a brief screenshot of ashton asoke's cases page, but the life asoke rama 9's was extremely detailed, said where the active case was, which elevator/where they have been, time, etc. 

i prefer life asoke rama 9 to be honest but the location might be better for ashton asoke, hard to choose between convenience and a subjectively better condo

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

You need to consider what you want from a condo and the area around the condo, then pick a location. BTS or MRT closeness, closeness of a major supermarket, closeness of street food and restaurants. For the condo, decide whether the leisure amenities like gym and pool suit your needs. Also depending on which condo you pick you need to make sure you aren't facing a road if you want to keep balcony door or windows open without hearing annoying noise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

You need to consider what you want from a condo and the area around the condo, then pick a location. BTS or MRT closeness, closeness of a major supermarket, closeness of street food and restaurants. For the condo, decide whether the leisure amenities like gym and pool suit your needs. Also depending on which condo you pick you need to make sure you aren't facing a road if you want to keep balcony door or windows open without hearing annoying noise.

Hm, the only thing im having a hard time with is location because I am brand new to thailand/bangkok so I am kind of clueless about where everything is (where shops are, restaurants, etc.) 

Most of the websites explain the different districts/neighbourhoods relatively the same, asok, rama 9, siam, they're all basically said to be convenient/close to a train, have malls and super markets. 

If anyone can answer, does asok, rama 9 or siam have more restaurants/places to go to? At first I thought asok was the centre of bangkok but people told me siam is, I think I'd prefer to be at the centre of bangkok to have easy access to big brand stores like the applestore/dell, an equivalent store to like a best buy in the usa too

Thing I'd prefer to be around is good resutarants as well as cheap resutarants, a cheap super market, good healthcare (doctor/dentist/hospital) a pharmacy/drug store, 7/11

Edited by dj230

two things to remember that were pointed out earlier :

The Ladprao condo is out further from western nightlife, it is also less office worker within the site and area.  Although it is still easily accessible to transport, MRT , bts ( later )  

The Asoke condo is within walking to western nightlife,  it is busier pedestrian traffic monday to friday and especially at lunch times.  It is near shops and upmarket department stores,  slightly more so than the Ladprao condo.

As for layout, condo facing , facilities,  daytime temperature,  and ecstatic's ....... that's a personal choice.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 6:44 AM, Andyfez said:

My main concern in these areas is traffic noise.

Both are "bad" in that respect, Asoke probably being slightly worse. Cost of living generally in LadPrao is cheaper but Asoke puts you right in the "Sukhumvit zone".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

two things to remember that were pointed out earlier :

The Ladprao condo is out further from western nightlife, it is also less office worker within the site and area.  Although it is still easily accessible to transport, MRT , bts ( later )  

The Asoke condo is within walking to western nightlife,  it is busier pedestrian traffic monday to friday and especially at lunch times.  It is near shops and upmarket department stores,  slightly more so than the Ladprao condo.

As for layout, condo facing , facilities,  daytime temperature,  and ecstatic's ....... that's a personal choice.

What about Ashton Asok vs Life asoke rama 9? Anyone of these better in terms of nightlife, traffic, being near shops, ?

25 minutes ago, dj230 said:

If anyone can answer, does asok, rama 9 or siam have more restaurants/places to go to? At first I thought asok was the centre of bangkok but people told me siam is, I think I'd prefer to be at the centre of bangkok to have easy access to big brand stores like the applestore/dell, an equivalent store to like a best buy in the usa too

They are all probably equal in that respect, Asoke is in "Sukhumvit" enclave, Siam is in "MBK" enclave. Both areas have everything you need, Sukhumvit is probably more the traditional expat area with Siam being more a mix of new and old school Thailand (architecture wise). Of equal stature would be Silom/Sathorn. 

Travelling between all is easy, I live in Sukhumvit and often walk to Siam. Sweat like a pig though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Whale said:

They are all probably equal in that respect, Asoke is in "Sukhumvit" enclave, Siam is in "MBK" enclave. Both areas have everything you need, Sukhumvit is probably more the traditional expat area with Siam being more a mix of new and old school Thailand (architecture wise). Of equal stature would be Silom/Sathorn. 

Travelling between all is easy, I live in Sukhumvit and often walk to Siam. Sweat like a pig though.

Haha, i'd never think of walking from sukhumvit to siam, isn't it pretty far?

1 minute ago, dj230 said:

Ashton Asok

Good choice for rental going to be VERY cheap to rent as it has been ruled an illegal building, if you cn get a deal there well worth considering, can only get cheaper.

10 minutes ago, Whale said:

Good choice for rental going to be VERY cheap to rent as it has been ruled an illegal building, if you cn get a deal there well worth considering, can only get cheaper.

There was some great deals which is why i considered it, but just wondering, does the illegal building ruling really matter for renters?

I have no clue about thailand law but from reading the gist of the news I've gathered this is an issue more so for owners and also it is still being judged by the supreme court which can take a few years? At least thats what the real estate agent told me. Said it was an issue with the distance between the entrance/road, although I noticed from news reports there were several issues with Ashton Asoke in the past as well

8 minutes ago, Whale said:

Walking? About 6km 3 or4 k from Asoke

That's actually not that bad, didnt' think it was that close, one of my friends friends works at siam paragon so I was planning to visit.

Just wondering if anyone knows, how much more convenient is it to be beside both the MRT & BTS vs just the MRT? Does it make a difference?

Edited by dj230

3 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

You just need to be very close to a BTS or MRT and Bangkok is easily accessible. Look at an interactive map and check out condos close to a BTS or MRT and check what infrastructure is near them. Your choice of area really does depend on your age, lifestyle and budget.

Around Rama 9 you have got a large central mall and fortune town and a Tesco. You can also walk down to a Big C in about 10 minutes and there are a few gyms there. I stayed in that area near the Esplanade Mall for a few months at Amanta Hotel and Residences until I bought a place elsewhere. Your only restriction there is that its an MRT serviced area and to use the BTS requires an interchange stop, but its not a great hassle as MRT is very good to use.  We liked the area but there weren't any parks there for me to run, which I liked doing.

I only spent a month in the Asoke area and I did like it there as well but I found that there were less restaurants and conveniences in the specific area I was in (Soi 39) if I remember rightly.

My option for living was based on my wife and my preferrences. The condo cost per Sq Meter for the place we bought was pretty similar to prices around Rama 9 and maybe a bit cheaper than Asoke but I thought expensive for the area, but all of the new condos in the area were similarly priced. The rental and purchase prices have dropped by about 20% from the look of it.

I moved to Saphan Kwai in 2018 because it had more non tourist restaurants and conveniences but was still within walking distance (10 to 15 mins) of quite a lot of western options in Ari.  Plus importantly for me there was the large recreational parks at Chatuchak for running or walking, has got private hospitals, large supermarket all within easy short walk (say 5 minutes max) and it has BTS which is only a 30 second walk from the condo and also MRT access, which is a 10 minute walk(though I drive too). Also its only 2 BTS stops to Ladprao Central and Union Mall, which I can also walk to in 30 mins if I don't want to catch the BTS and of course Chatuchak Market is a 5 minute walk to the nearest entry gate. Not too much nightlife though unless you want Thai Nightclubs, but I am married and don't bother with the nightlife a great deal. I also walk to the River sometimes for general relaxation and its anout a 30 minute walk to the river and new parliment. Also with driving you want to be near an access to the expressway or main arterial roads to minimise secondary road commuting.

So make a list of what you want and at what budget and then research  which area provides you with your needs and wants and then the area selection becomes easier.

Just wanted to double check but you're saying there was more restaurants and conveniences at rama 9 than asok?

On 7/25/2021 at 4:33 AM, Mike Teavee said:

OP, what made you pick "The Life" Condos and why did you restrict it to those 2 (e.g. there's a "Life" Sukuhmvit 48 which is close to Phra Khanong BTS station & not a bad place to live).... The reason I ask is answering that question for yourself might help you decide which condo/area is best for you... Either of them will be fine for the odd trip to other parts of Bangkok, as others have said, if you were having to do a commute everyday then it makes much more sense to live closer to where you need to be.    

FWIW I live in On Nut at one of the Ideo properties & really like the area (though moving to Wongamat at the end of August), my mate was also living in the same complex but has recently moved to Asoke and when I was looking around condos there with him I quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me as not only is there no reason for me live in that area (I'm retired) and so pay the "Premium" that you have to pay when living closer to "The center" but the traffic there would do my head in & I don't even drive in Bangkok! 

I do recall my 1st trial run at long term living in Bangkok, I booked 1 month in The Trendy building on Soi 13 & had to leave after 10 days as the pollution from the traffic was getting on my chest (48 & in very good shape at the time so it wasn't an age/health thing, it was purely the crappy air pollution in the city center). 

why are you leaving onut Mike?

12 minutes ago, Grecian said:

why are you leaving onut Mike?

I have no real need to live in Bangkok & having had this Condo for 3 years just fancy a change so if I'm going to move then I may as well move somewhere completely different... Going to try Wongamat for a year or 2  then the plan is to try a year somewhere like Udon Than/Khon Kaen then maybe north to Chaing Mai/Rai or South to Surat Thani & then really South to the GF's home province (Satun). 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 4:19 PM, Aussieroaming said:

You just need to be very close to a BTS or MRT and Bangkok is easily accessible. Look at an interactive map and check out condos close to a BTS or MRT and check what infrastructure is near them. Your choice of area really does depend on your age, lifestyle and budget.

Around Rama 9 you have got a large central mall and fortune town and a Tesco. You can also walk down to a Big C in about 10 minutes and there are a few gyms there. I stayed in that area near the Esplanade Mall for a few months at Amanta Hotel and Residences until I bought a place elsewhere. Your only restriction there is that its an MRT serviced area and to use the BTS requires an interchange stop, but its not a great hassle as MRT is very good to use.  We liked the area but there weren't any parks there for me to run, which I liked doing.

I only spent a month in the Asoke area and I did like it there as well but I found that there were less restaurants and conveniences in the specific area I was in (Soi 39) if I remember rightly.

My option for living was based on my wife and my preferrences. The condo cost per Sq Meter for the place we bought was pretty similar to prices around Rama 9 and maybe a bit cheaper than Asoke but I thought expensive for the area, but all of the new condos in the area were similarly priced. The rental and purchase prices have dropped by about 20% from the look of it.

I moved to Saphan Kwai in 2018 because it had more non tourist restaurants and conveniences but was still within walking distance (10 to 15 mins) of quite a lot of western options in Ari.  Plus importantly for me there was the large recreational parks at Chatuchak for running or walking, has got private hospitals, large supermarket all within easy short walk (say 5 minutes max) and it has BTS which is only a 30 second walk from the condo and also MRT access, which is a 10 minute walk(though I drive too). Also its only 2 BTS stops to Ladprao Central and Union Mall, which I can also walk to in 30 mins if I don't want to catch the BTS and of course Chatuchak Market is a 5 minute walk to the nearest entry gate. Not too much nightlife though unless you want Thai Nightclubs, but I am married and don't bother with the nightlife a great deal. I also walk to the River sometimes for general relaxation and its anout a 30 minute walk to the river and new parliment. Also with driving you want to be near an access to the expressway or main arterial roads to minimise secondary road commuting.

So make a list of what you want and at what budget and then research  which area provides you with your needs and wants and then the area selection becomes easier.

Saphan Kwai sounds great. Have you noticed any down sides since?

1 hour ago, Grecian said:

Saphan Kwai sounds great. Have you noticed any down sides since?

One downside would be lack of proximity to Thonglor or Ekkamai style higher end  nightclub nightlife, if that was your thing or Sukhumvit type nightlife. There is lively nightlife on Pradipat Road and in nearby Ari as in restaurants and casual drinking establishments, so plenty of options. There are a few nightclubs here but I can't say what goes on in them as I have never been in one.

We were staying in Ratchada when we started condo hunting and we initially looked in Ratchada, Rama 9 and also around Thonglor. We eventually found more conveniences and new condo choices in Saphan Kwai and I think the BTS distance from Siam to Saphan Kwai would be pretty similar to the distance from Siam to Thonglor or maybe Ekkamai by BTS, so its still a convenient location.

We found Saphan Kwai inadvertantly when we looked at a condo to buy near Big C Ladprao, it wasn't an area particularly familiar to us though we had passed it before.

Another downside for me would be having a condo right at the BTS stop because in order to be that close you then have inevitable some road road noise if you have windows open and we are on the 26th floor. Most new condo developments in this area either front Paholyothin or Pradipat Rds for convenience. You can get plenty of older or smaller condo buildings in the local Soi's if you don't mind walking to the main road but my wife preferred easy walking convenience to the BTS station and Big C.

Easy access to Suvanabhumi or Don Muang Airports from here as well, maybe that's why the new Bang Sue Station was selected where it is as the new rail hub.

Another downside is .... no beaches, so I'm looking for a beach weekender to escape Bangkok too.

• Like 1