Covid 19 in Bangkok Condos

dj230

Is it common to have covid cases in bangkok condos right now?

I was thinking of renting a unit at Life Asoke Rama 9 but someone messaged me warning me about covid cases at the condo the past few months. I thought that was pretty normal to have some cases over the past few months but then I started looking at other condos and came across Ashton Asoke.

I was about to sign the lease and then asked the real estate agent if there was covid cases the past few months, she said there was, and that the last case was just 2 days ago. I was quite shocked when I heard there was a case just 2 days ago (July 26th)

Is this common in condos right now in central bangkok?

Edited by dj230
  • Confused 1

We've had three separate cases on three different floors within the last 4 months. I can't say it makes it common but all the lobby, garage temperature checking, pool and gym closing, reception chair removal and mask wearing hasn't stopped the virus sneaking inside.

• Like 2

We had also a few cases over the last month. And mostly I know this because my gf talks to the hairdresser who knows everything.

I think there was only one official announcement paper that now they deep clean floor number xx or something like that.

I don't think the management must inform everybody and likely they will be reluctant to do that.

Obviously I would prefer a Covid free environment but that is unlikely to happen anytime soon. I think the biggest risks are the lifts. And at least in my building the lifts are often sprayed with disinfect. There are several lifts and if i.e. 4 people are waiting it's extreme unlikely that they will all use the lift together. Many people wait. And in the lifts people use tissues or keys to press the buttons. A risk, sure, but I would say a managed risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pravda said:

So many in my Ekkamai condo they stopped counting 

Which one if you don’t mind me asking? I was thinking of ekkamai too 

24 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

We've had three separate cases on three different floors within the last 4 months. I can't say it makes it common but all the lobby, garage temperature checking, pool and gym closing, reception chair removal and mask wearing hasn't stopped the virus sneaking inside.

That’s not much, the life asoke rama 9 had 2 dozen or so 

15 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Yes .... two cases in my building, and it's low-rise.

The practical measures in place by the building manage to minimise spread is more important than the numbers of cases.

How recent was the 2 cases? 

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We had also a few cases over the last month. And mostly I know this because my gf talks to the hairdresser who knows everything.

I think there was only one official announcement paper that now they deep clean floor number xx or something like that.

I don't think the management must inform everybody and likely they will be reluctant to do that.

Obviously I would prefer a Covid free environment but that is unlikely to happen anytime soon. I think the biggest risks are the lifts. And at least in my building the lifts are often sprayed with disinfect. There are several lifts and if i.e. 4 people are waiting it's extreme unlikely that they will all use the lift together. Many people wait. And in the lifts people use tissues or keys to press the buttons. A risk, sure, but I would say a managed risk.

I was told the life asoke rama 9 was pretty diligent in informing about cases. 
I’m quite shocked that isn’t the case for other condos. In Toronto where I’m from, apartment complexes/condos my friends/family lived in were all pretty diligent too in informing everyone once there was a case. 

a few cases isn’t that bad but I was shocked because it was 2 days ago and quite recent. 

Edited by dj230

according to an article from 2 days ago some 13% in high populated areas in bkk are positive.

In my neighbourhood in the poor suburbs probably everybody had or has it in the last 3 weeks, when first detected.

if you don't have to be in bangkok, and you are clearly in a panic/shock mode, move as far and as remote area from bangkok as is practically possible.

Just be sure online food deliveries from supermarkets do cover you place. But also a lot of food on lazada through couriers

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I operate under the assumption that anyone I come face to face with in Bangkok, inside or outside my condo building, has Covid.

In some cases, it will have been the case already, considering the numbers.

Very true, and as most people are asymptomatic and won't have been tested, you'll never know anyway unless you're very unlucky. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I operate under the assumption that anyone I come face to face with in Bangkok, inside or outside my condo building, has Covid.

In some cases, it will have been the case already, considering the numbers.

Duplicate post. Internet problems 

Edited by brewsterbudgen

here is an interactive map, where covid positive public posts for help.

It would indicate how many infections in your neighbourhood.

I see only 5 red spots within 1km from my home, while nobody from my some 20 infected neighbours listed themselves there. So it is just an indicator

https://jitasa.care/  

and here another volunteer run project, which finds places for covid testing in your locality. Lists prices, phone numbers, opening hours https://wheretotestcovid19.com/search

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You "could have came in contact with someone with covid-19" everyday almost anywhere.

i

im beginning to love the smell of Dettol in the lift every morning

covid virus mask.png

18 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

The virus didn't sneak in... people brought it in.

Internal measures count for nothing if people are dumb when they go outside.

56 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Why not stay where you are? There's a pandemic on!

Eh, theres not much where i am currentely staying (near the airport), would be more convenient (grocery delivery/food) and there's better internet at the centre of bangkok

Just like with the stock market, past performance is no guarantee of future results. If cases are not currently being reported by a condo, it does not mean there won't be cases tomorrow.

A better approach would be to find out what steps the  condo management is taking now in the areas of cleaning and disinfecting - and to assume people around you are infected. 

• Like 1

Bangkok is the epicenter of the Virus, it doesn't discriminate to only residents living in homes, it doesn't ask questions like where do you live Condo O.K. pass!  It is hitting the homeless, the rich the poor people living upcountry in the farms etc.  why would infection in a Condo surprise anyone????? 

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Bangkok is the epicenter of the Virus, it doesn't discriminate to only residents living in homes, it doesn't ask questions like where do you live Condo O.K. pass!  It is hitting the homeless, the rich the poor people living upcountry in the farms etc.  why would infection in a Condo surprise anyone????? 

I guess you're right, I was hoping lockdown/quarantine measures helped, but i guess everyone would have to follow them in condos for it to work which is hard.

Thanks for the replies, it seems like assuming everyone has it and just taking measures to decrease risk is all one can do at the moment.

Theres no cases where I am now thankfully, although an apartment building, much smaller than a condo

6 hours ago, internationalism said:

here is an interactive map, where covid positive public posts for help.

It would indicate how many infections in your neighbourhood.

I see only 5 red spots within 1km from my home, while nobody from my some 20 infected neighbours listed themselves there. So it is just an indicator

https://jitasa.care/  

and here another volunteer run project, which finds places for covid testing in your locality. Lists prices, phone numbers, opening hours https://wheretotestcovid19.com/search

suprisingly asok - on nut/sukhumvit area has few cases according to that map

theres few cases where i am at the airport as well, but as you mentioned those are only the reported cases

Edited by dj230

2 hours ago, newnative said:

It's not just Bangkok.  My Pattaya condo has recently had a resident with covid and two of the front desk staff. 

A couple of maintenance guys at my Pattaya condo have covid, a few high risk staff isolating

• Like 1