Vaccines for foreigners: Those living upcountry to get Sinovac first

webfact

In my little village in Khon Kaen they have stared distribution of vaccines. I got my shot yesterday. It was Sinovac. They said the next shot in 3 weeks will be Astra Zenaca. Followed later with a Pfizer booster when available.

Been looking into mixing vaccines and early data shows it is as least as effective if not more than two doses of the same kind. Mixing a deactivated virus vac (Sinovac, AZ) and and mRNA vac (Pfizer, Moderna) may be more effective. Data is still early stage and limited numbers, but there doesn't seem to a problem with mixing vaccines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

There are more than two types of vaccines, working in many more than two different ways.

It seems you are correct . The reason for my statement was because the article i read which had conducted the trial gave the impression that there were only 2 mentioning just the mRNA and the vector. It seems that most of the vaccines being administered are of these type, but as you state many different methods of how they work. thank you correcting me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

I think it is up to each provincial to set its own rules and in part it will depend on how many vaccinations and of what type the central government allocates.

I believe it's more,  "This is what we have, good luck".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Got my first shot today (Sinovac).

Next appointment is 27 August (4 weeks).

AstraZeneca repeatedly promised.

Sorry, no proper vaccine selfie :tongue:

Just sitting after vaccination for 30 minutes with my new "KF94" mask from Korea :biggrin:

Finally another blood pressure check and check of oxygen saturation with some clip on the finger.

Difficult to handle alone. Help from wife/family much appreciated.

X forms, a thousand questions, 5 stations to go through.

Didn't even feel the needle. After (only) 2 hours zero problems.

20210730_073847.jpg

20210730_084933.jpg

20210730_092524.jpg

You look rather young to be getting vaccinated.

Aren't they for people 18 and older?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Just so Provincial foreigners know, I got my vaccinations in Bangkok already and both were Sinovac. The idea all over 60 get Astra Zeneca as stated by the government is totally false. Over 1700 elderly vaccinated with me at the same location all got Sinovac (I am in my 70s.) 

There are lots of fake news out there. It's good to hear first hand information. Are we allowed to choose the vaccine if we prefer another type?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, EricTh said:

There are lots of fake news out there. It's good to hear first hand information. Are we allowed to choose the vaccine if we prefer another type?

There are enough credible reports here that AZ is applied on first shot in Bangkok (intervac). I can't remember having seen having a choice beforehand.

None of the registration sites I have seen do show a choice.

And a minute later I see a post saying there was choice between Sinovac and AZ at MedPark. Seemingly on the spot.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

There are enough credible reports here that AZ is applied on first shot in Bangkok (intervac). I can't remember having seen having a choice beforehand.

None of the registration sites I have seen do show a choice.

When I registered through the Mor Prom App you had a choice of Sinovac and AZ, the same as with the Intervac website.  I registered for an AZ vaccine and was successful at MedPark back in June.  Now aawiting my time until September to be given the secon Jab.  However, those sites are now inactive as far as taking any more registrations, Waiting to hear and see when the other supposed websites and apps are activated to get my GF registered.  Tried to get in and purchase her a Moderna vaccine but the site filled up to fast.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

I had registered for MedPark quite a while ago and sure there was no choice at the time. Never a word about type of vaccine (also in the appointment confirmation).

I have cancelled the appointment two days ago as driving 450 km to deep red Bangkok was never an easy decision.

Swiss embassy arranges vaccinations at MedPark and clearly writes: Astra Zeneca.

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 hours ago, Kanada said:

Why is that “disgusting”?

You do realize who’s country you are in??!

What is sad is that you do not find it disgusting. If a government in a civilized country did this they would be labelled racist. All lives matter.

On 7/29/2021 at 5:17 AM, MrJ2U said:

Another reason not to live in Issan.

You are much more likely to die of boredom than Covid in Isaan.  ????  42 years ago in Loei we had no Covid, but boredom was rampant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2021 at 10:51 AM, grandpa said:

But.....but..............BUT.............All the registration lists are closed and the one mentioned on Thailandintervac.com has displayed the same message for over a week now! "Bangkok Khon Kaen Hospital, Khon Kaen (The pre-registration system will be announced soon)"

Calm down...

On 7/29/2021 at 4:47 PM, Kadilo said:

What’s disgusting is the perception that foreigners are special cases and should get the best and give what is perceived as the poor Sinovac to the Thais. You live in Thailand now. Who cares where it comes from. 

They have as much right, if not more, to be given the Pfizer/Az first as anyone else. 

You want special go home and get it or pay for it. 

A lot of foreigners don’t want sinovac as it’ll lead to problems when trying to travel home 

I’m sure most can afford the private vaccine (that works) if it ever becomes available 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Such as?

I assume the post is referring to the fact that countries now are opening up to vaccinated people.

Sinovac however, has not been approved by some of these countries as a qualifying vaccine.

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Such as?

I don't think it matters in the US. And South America and Central America seem to use Sinovac a lot. So does most of Asia. I'm guessing the Sinovac isn't good for Europe and (maybe?) Canada. I'm not going there anyway. 

11 hours ago, Cuba said:

What is sad is that you do not find it disgusting. If a government in a civilized country did this they would be labelled racist. All lives matter.

Maybe time for you to realize where you are…you’re in Thailand!!

Don’t like Thailand? Nobody cares!
Dont <deleted> and moan…just go back to the country you left….

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/29/2021 at 10:39 AM, Neeranam said:

Never knew the second jab could be a different vaccine. 

I am booked for Moderna in October, could I get the Sinovac next month too?

Yes. Sinovac is better than nothing and the Moderna orders were oversubscribed by 9m to 3.9m.  So some people with orders for 5.1m doses can expect to either have their deposits refunded or asked to wait for the next batch. Just think of Moderna as a lottery for a booster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

You are much more likely to die of boredom than Covid in Isaan.  ????  42 years ago in Loei we had no Covid, but boredom was rampant. 

I purposely made a huge resort style house to keep me and family busy.

Don't drink so don't mind not having the bars.   

Miss the GoGo dancers and falang food.

Before COVID-19 we'd travel everyother month to some beach resort.

Issan though isn't for everyone for sure.

But I'm happy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kanada said:

Maybe time for you to realize where you are…you’re in Thailand!!

Don’t like Thailand? Nobody cares!
Dont <deleted> and moan…just go back to the country you left….

Loser.

10 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I think it's more correct to say that Sinovac is used in ONLY 39 countries, with the majority of them being prime candidates for the Belt & Road initiative.

If not already in that hand-basket I mean.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 4:37 PM, Kickstand said:

In my little village in Khon Kaen they have stared distribution of vaccines. I got my shot yesterday. It was Sinovac. They said the next shot in 3 weeks will be Astra Zenaca. Followed later with a Pfizer booster when available.

Been looking into mixing vaccines and early data shows it is as least as effective if not more than two doses of the same kind. Mixing a deactivated virus vac (Sinovac, AZ) and and mRNA vac (Pfizer, Moderna) may be more effective. Data is still early stage and limited numbers, but there doesn't seem to a problem with mixing vaccines.

After some initial hesitancy over Thailand's knee-jerk, mix-and-match response to their self-wrought shortages of one's preferred shot, I framed these new options in the experience of my hedonistic youth where one easily switched from beer to whisky or vodka as the night progressed. Then when 'escape velocity' was required,  one switched to tequila.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

I think it's more correct to say that Sinovac is used in ONLY 39 countries, with the majority of them being prime candidates for the Belt & Road initiative.

If not already in that hand-basket I mean.

A resurgence in China as Sinovac slowly loses its efficiency.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:28 PM, mirage said:

I had the chance to get the Sinovac with the AZ 3 weeks later. It was not an easy choice to decline, but I did. Hopefully a double AZ vaccine will be available soon. I am over 65.

Wait for the European distaste for AZ to swell, then there'll be lots of AZ on its way to Thailand!

[Referencing news yesterday that Germany has decided to restrict* use of Astra Zeneca based on studies on the incidence of clotting (yes that one is rearing its head again!). Similar restrictions were reported as already applying in Norway and The Netherlands.

*Can't remember the exact details - AZ is now either banned outright in Germany or restricted to a limited category of person]

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1