Prayuth: No VIPs will get US Pfizer donation but foreigners living in Thailand will get part of allocation

webfact

On 7/31/2021 at 9:57 AM, webfact said:

A total of 150,000 doses would be split between the elderly, those with seven underlying health conditions, women pregnant for 12 weeks, foreigners residing in Thailand and students going abroad. 

That's going to be spread pretty thin... good luck if you get some.

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

medical personel started to grass those hiso patients, who are already getting ready for the booster (even pfizer one - in par with medics).

here is an example of a lady from phitsanulok, who is closely associated with the province governor

https://www.facebook.com/CSILA90210/posts/4204069876337372

Don't know how that guy can look at himself in the mirror. 

On 8/1/2021 at 4:08 AM, Soikhaonoiken said:

Totally agree, with all the research and testing that has gone on before all round the World,, and now Thailand wants to do its own research, but a little late in the day...., and the 40,000 for new variants isn't going to go far if there is a new variant.                   Its just a circus...... 

This vaccine cannot be kept very long. It could be months until a significant variant appears, especially since the Delta Indian variant is so infectious that it outcompetes the others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

Oh for sure.  Same for me working in biotech.  It's one of the reasons I laughed when the anti-patent, Big, Evil Pharma groups started clamoring for Pfizer et al to allow production across the globe.  These aren't small molecules that we're talking about here, especially for the mRNA vaccines.  RNA is the trickiest macromolecule to work with and things can go wrong very quickly leaving you with a mass of ribonucleotides.  Then there is the matter of preparing the complexes which can be tricky even at small scale.  Combine this with the fact that there is a limited supply of people with expertise in these areas.  As you said the patents are not so much the barrier here as are facilities and expertise.

Yes, if this waiver override goes through as some activists envisage, even countries not currently making vaccines would be doing so. Did these people think at all about human nature, vaccine hesitancy? Which vaccine is real, which really works? It would be much quicker for the US and other G7 to build facilities for vaccine and ingredient production, in the current pandemic to fill the gap left by insufficient private capacity. In the time to set this up, Pfizer, Moderna and ingredient producers would scale up their staff to manage these public facilities. In the future this physical plant could be used for other medicines using mRNA tech and turned over to vaccine production if a new pandemic erupts. 

On 7/31/2021 at 10:03 AM, smedly said:

bring it to pattaya - don't have foreigners traveling to Bangkok to be vaccinated - it is not the answer

Everybody has their own idea of where to take it, but I get your point.. My preference would be Huahin, so there you go.

The reality is that spread that thin it will just cause more panic driven stampedes, leading to more disappointment, frustration, and anger. For my part I refuse to join such feeding frenzies.

It's just another tiny drop in a very large bucket, not enough to quench anybody's thirst.

a quantity of pfizer is being now dispatched to Buriram province (which is not the dark red zone).

That's the province where dr Anutin's Bhumjaithai Party "Mafia bosses, black magic and marijuana" has it's base. Also from this party and province is Chidchob, minister of transport

https://www.thaienquirer.com/30754/part-of-pfizer-shipment-being-sent-to-buriram-health-official-says

Edited by internationalism

It is so sad that many people in Thailand,  are willing to get any of the good vaccines for the COVID virus, but in North America, there are so many

people who still will not willingly get the vaccines offered.  I even have an educated relative, who is in his 40s, and he thinks the virus

is just another flu, so he refuses to get a vaccine.  I have asked his wife and their oldest child to go and get vaccinated. His brain washed

mind is such that he believes only what information he gets from the computer.  He thinks that the TV and news on the radio is all

fake.  If he gets the Delta variant that is raging across Canada, I will not feel sorry for him if he dies. I will however feel sorry for his wife and children.

So far I have had several relatives and friends die from COVID, so I am not sympathetic to people who decide to not get some protection.

Geezer

• Like 2

It is likely the US made a stipulation that ex-pats would get a share of the vaccine. A friend of mine who knows several people who work at the US Embassy says they have careful control of how this donation is used. One can only hope.

There is no doubt that Prayuth is taking credit for something he had no control over, nor anything to do with. But, by now we know that is just who he is, and how the man rolls. There is no charity in his game. 

On 8/5/2021 at 11:52 AM, John Drake said:

Just saw in some oldish news that the US gave Vietnam 5 million Moderna shots. Obviously Vietnam is on the US's friends list in a way that Thailand is not. https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/us-donates-3-million-more-covid-19-vaccine-doses-vietnam-2021-07-22/

I guess US expats are on US unfriendly list.