Prayuth: No VIPs will get US Pfizer donation but foreigners living in Thailand will get part of allocation

webfact

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

Why would there need to be research on the vaccines? Would it need to be tested for efficacy against other variants? 5000 doses seems a lot for research.

It's going to take a lot of effort to reverse engineer and go on to reproduce this vaccine, 5000 may not be enough,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A total of 150,000 doses would be split between the elderly, those with seven underlying health conditions, women pregnant for 12 weeks, foreigners residing in Thailand and students going abroad. 

Been a while I studied math in school, perhaps it has even changed some....

Bcos between all those groups named, leaves at most 15k to foreigners...

And that need to divide by 2 for the shots...

So, 7500 out of 750k ( 1.5 mil doses)

1% of all?

A generous allocation. NOT!

But makes great news. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

So the 5,000 doses will go to the research team here in Thailand trying to create their own mRNA vaccine?  Reverse engineering possibly ????

Usually it's easier to read their patents to get methodologies -

https://www.citizen.org/article/biontech-and-pfizers-bnt162-vaccine-patent-landscape/ (references therein)

Is there really 1.5 million expats from  the US?    So PM didn't want any restrictions Publicly announced?   But it would also look bad to specify people from one country even if they paid for it through taxes.   There were a few uproars in the US over politicians and family members getting the jab, or workers at vax sites grabbing a few shots.   It made sense to make sure it went to front line workers first, ex. policeman , firemen, HCW.   Then elderly.  Big push for senior care centers, then over 75.   All done by online appointments. Then the age range kept dropping.  Age range changes Done by county as they progressed. Also a federal or state age range change.  You could go across the county line to get a jab but then the state age range applied not the counties.   Also to could select between Pfizer, moderna, JJ at time of reservation but they could change it as they did with me due to supply or  was it experiment?  I signed up for the moderna but for the JJ by the time of my jab 5 days later. 

My fiance got her Pfizer on day 2 in USA, free, no hassle May 4.    My wife and I of course watch the this Thailand covid train wreck everyday with much concern and dismay.   

Food to know PM says it will blow over in 3-4 weeks.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elkski said:

... Food to know PM says it will blow over in 3-4 weeks.   

It will blow up in 3-4 weeks. If I was a job recruiter, I know where I could get qualified morons in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phetphet said:

Why would there need to be research on the vaccines? Would it need to be tested for efficacy against other variants? 5000 doses seems a lot for research.

Nice little earner says Mr Daley.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

Missed it, you had to register 2 days before it was announced you had to register.

Nope, friend just notified me.  Registration starts at 11am today.

expatvac.consular.go.th

This is for Pfizer ...

On 7/31/2021 at 9:57 AM, webfact said:

A total of 150,000 doses would be split between the elderly, those with seven underlying health conditions, women pregnant for 12 weeks, foreigners residing in Thailand and students going abroad. 

This version in the OP doesn't appear to match with what the govt actually posted in TH language this weekend, as follows:

107783110_2021-08-01Pfizerallocation.thumb.jpg.d78e5ac8cb535eaa931e309c201f166b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/thaimoph/photos/a.117672836509295/367868068156436/?type=3

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

20 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

Usually it's easier to read their patents to get methodologies -

https://www.citizen.org/article/biontech-and-pfizers-bnt162-vaccine-patent-landscape/ (references therein)

If Drugs and Vaccine production was easy, starting from the lab, to scale-up, design transfer, validation productions, final approved production, fill finish, packaging and distribution, everyone would be doing it.

After 35 years in the industry, I can assure you it is not easy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

If Drugs and Vaccine production was easy, starting from the lab, to scale-up, design transfer, validation productions, final approved production, fill finish, packaging and distribution, everyone would be doing it.

After 35 years in the industry, I can assure you it is not easy.

Oh for sure.  Same for me working in biotech.  It's one of the reasons I laughed when the anti-patent, Big, Evil Pharma groups started clamoring for Pfizer et al to allow production across the globe.  These aren't small molecules that we're talking about here, especially for the mRNA vaccines.  RNA is the trickiest macromolecule to work with and things can go wrong very quickly leaving you with a mass of ribonucleotides.  Then there is the matter of preparing the complexes which can be tricky even at small scale.  Combine this with the fact that there is a limited supply of people with expertise in these areas.  As you said the patents are not so much the barrier here as are facilities and expertise.

Regarding info in patents, many years ago while still in academia I was asked by a head of lab about making Taq polymerase from a recombinant expression E. coli strain someone in another lab had. The produced protein lacked a peptide tag that one would normally include to aid purification. But a purification scheme for native Taq was beautifully laid out in one of the patents I found and it worked perfectly.  After ~5 days of work I had a few hundred thousand dollars worth of enzyme that lasted us for about 6 months.

"Sanook reported that the Thai prime minister said that no VIPs would jump the queue ahead of front line health workers to get part of the 1.54 million doses donated by the US government."

The unelected PM will say that anyway, he isn't actually known to be truthful.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:08 AM, John Drake said:

Did Heath get a public thank you from Prayuth, as the UK did with its gift?  Just wondering?  I didn't hear it. But I miss a lot of news. Anybody know?

Maybe he didn't want them