One person killed, two injured, two reportedly flee the scene after a fatal car accident in the Ban Bueng district this morning, driver had narcolepsy

webfact

tpn.jpg

By Nop Meechukhun

Ban Bueng – One person was instantly killed while two passengers were seriously injured after their pickup truck reportedly bumped into a trailer truck before falling off the side of the road in the Ban Bueng district of Chonburi this morning, August 1st.

Early investigative efforts seem to show that the driver, who has narcolepsy yet still continued to drive despite the warnings of his family, may have fallen asleep.

Police and medical volunteers arrived at the scene at around 11:30 AM, after being alerted of the fatal incident on Route 331 (inbound to Korat) in the Nong Phai Kaew Subdistrict.

A pickup truck was spotted fallen off the road in an abandoned field, in a heavily damaged condition, located 50 meters away from the accident site while its front hood was attached at the back of a HINO trailer truck parked on the side of the road.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/01/one-person-killed-two-injured-two-reportedly-flee-the-scene-after-a-fatal-car-accident-in-the-ban-bueng-district-this-morning-driver-had-narcolepsy/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Which costs a small amount of money and I assure you little questioning. 

Indeed..  

“Sir, do you have Narcolepsy?”… “No”

“Sir, do you have Epilepsy ?”… “No”

“Sir, do you have Elephantiasis ?”… “No”

“Sir, can you see number in those colours?”… “Yes”

“Sir, can you see that door?”… “Yes”

”Sir, 200 baht please, you are fit to drive !”

Of course, the irony being that in the UK were don’t have a medical check up for driving, we just know driving with a condition is illegal. I bet some still do it though, but some still DUI… 

All more common here though as the law is so poorly enforced.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed..  

“Sir, do you have Narcolepsy?”… “No”

“Sir, do you have Epilepsy ?”… “No”

“Sir, do you have Elephantiasis ?”… “No”

“Sir, can you see number in those colours?”… “Yes”

“Sir, can you see that door?”… “Yes”

”Sir, 200 baht please, you are fit to drive !”

Of course, the irony being that in the UK were don’t have a medical check up for driving, we just know driving with a condition is illegal. I bet some still do it though, but some still DUI… 

All more common here though as the law is so poorly enforced.

Wow expensive now, mine was Bt.50.00.

None of those question were asked.

• Like 1

Medical "examination " was take blood pressure (normal) and 'do you ever get giddy?"  

"No"

OK, 200 Baht and you are fit to drive..

In UK, when over 70yr, or maybe 75, you have to self declare any impediments to your driving ability when applying for new license.

Thailand would claim that their conditions for a driving license are more stringent than in UK.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Why on earth did the authorities allow this person to hold a driving license? it should not be for other family members to try and talk him into not driving - this of course if he had a license in the first place.

Why on earth didn't the family force the driver to stop?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rwill said:

For your temporary and first permanent license you have to get a signed statement from a doctor.

I saw a doctor, he asked if I had any problems, maybe checked my blood pressure (I don't remember) and that was that. All over in less than two minutes. About as useless as a Thai driving license.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Why on earth did the authorities allow this person to hold a driving license? it should not be for other family members to try and talk him into not driving - this of course if he had a license in the first place.

Not having a Driving License doesn't mean he can't drive on the roads of Thailand; or the Pavements, or up the Concrete Lamp Posts.   Around 30% of them are driving without one !

9 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Who said he had a driving license?

7 hours ago, rwill said:

first permanent license you have to get a signed statement from a doctor.

Yes indeed, but in my case no mention of being an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic was "on his list". All he wanted to see was that I had four complete limbs - 2 hands/arms and 2 feet/legs - and was not disabled! 100 Baht and in/out in a couple of minutes. I was issued with his letter and my first Thai driving license in Chiang Mai many years ago and I never had any problems renewing it, again no mention ever of insulin dependent diabetes. Although I now live in Cambodia, my Thai driving license is still valid to my 80th birthday (January 2024)!!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

11 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Would not having a drivers license prevent these type of reckless people from driving? I don't think it would. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Where does it say that he had a driving licence?

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Does it say he had a licence? Anyhow, my recollection of obtaining one did not involve any questions regarding narcolepsy nor even a physical examination. 

You need a medical certificate.

That not saying much though.

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Narcolepsy seems to be a common illness here, 

its nearly always the first thing the police say 

when someone drives off the road,"They fell

asleep at the wheel" ...but Thai's seem to have

the ability  to just nod off anywhere, I wish I 

could do that.( not while driving)..

regards Worgeordie

Narcolepsy... Its a national past time.. falls closely behind picking yer schnoz !!! 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RobU said:

Where does it say that he had a driving licence?

How about reading and taking note of the full post which was - Why on earth did the authorities allow this person to hold a driving license? it should not be for other family members to try and talk him into not driving - this of course if he had a license in the first place.