Why Go To The Cinema?

On 8/2/2021 at 9:34 AM, Henryford said:

I have a 82in TV now and would never think of going to the cinema. Apart from the fact that most modern films are <deleted> and in Thailand they freeze you to death.

And also mention, to have standing for a while, I never understand for what reason, maybe to check your lenght?

I really don't know.

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2021 at 3:37 AM, possum1931 said:

Apart from having female company, why does anyone go to the cinema nowadays?

Yes, as I'm unfortunately not rich enough to have my private Dolby Atmos digital cinema, I need to use a public venue, as I enjoy watching the new movies in a big dark room on a huge screen with excellent sound - unfortunately I have a professional career in supplying outstanding sound systems for Dolby-cinemas - and I don't fancy female company to disturb me when enjoying a good movie, but I also don't mind same beings later...????

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 9:51 AM, BritManToo said:

20Kbht gets you a 65" screen, and I wear bluetooth earbuds (150bht), it can be as loud as I can endure and nobody else can hear. Obviously a large Tv may not be practical for poor white folk living in a single room.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lg-smart-tv-4k-uhd-65un7200-65-65un7200-2020-i2266016965-s7608289810.html

Screens are OUT.

LED Projectors are IN.

Get with it, Man!

Yep, I still go, maybe 3 times a year. I went only a few weeks back to watch A quiet place, and I was literally the only one in there. I don't go for the ''experience'' or any of that nonsense, i go for '''something to do' and to get out the 4 walls. Also it's cheap, I wouldn't pay UK prices.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:50 AM, Cat Boy said:

To hell with staying at home, yes, I do it, but life is for the living, and online Zoom and streaming just doesn't cut it.

Going to the cinema is 'living'?? LOL. You sound like a real wild one!

On 8/2/2021 at 9:01 AM, CharlieH said:

Nah, I think its dead now compared to years gone by. Then it was an experience seeing things on "the big screen" the great sound system and audience type atmospere etc.

With the advance of technology its dwindled to nothing.

I think it still remains special in the poorer parts of the world and for those that dont have or cant afford the home entertainment systems etc.

ti think it still remains a social thing for some too, something to go do and share, but not on the scale it once was.

Last time I went was over 20yrs ago and I  cant even remember what it was I went to see.

The last one I do remember going to was Titanic ! (1997) And yes it was with a woman....lol

It was exciting.

Now you're right.  Rather stay home and watch it on big screen tv.  Bathroom breaks I can pause the video.

• Like 1

If you're a cheap Charlie or live in Nakon nowhere without a nearby English speaking cinema, then yes, download free movies and watch them at home on your "big screen" with Lazada sound bar.

But you are having yourself on if you think that your state-of-the-art home theatre is anywhere near as the experience as going to the cinema for the greatly enhanced low lighting, surround sound, big screen and theatre acoustics. Especially for action or horror movies. Just remember to take something warm to wear and get there about 15 minutes after advertised start time to avoid the advertisements.

Edited by Nemises

18 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

love   thai cinemas the sound is so loud it will blow your eardrums ...spiderman was my last visit with miss noy a nutty womanimage.jpeg.66bc3f9b84cc088bde58b276a3868f45.jpeg

a very nutty woman

I could do with some nutty right now. Sadly, like yesterday and every day previously since I left LOS I never had any nutty. I live in a nutty devoid world now.

Everyone that can have nutty should be grateful for the opportunity.

There are a few Woody Allen films which are worth watching. 

There are David Lynch movies worth watching 

If you wish to do justice to these films/movies, then you should not view them on your piddling small screens, no matter how large. 

This is why I gave up on computer screens. 

In order to gain the full impact and experience intended by the producers of these films, then, you need a LED projector. 

Buy a high quality LED projector. 

Turn off the lights in your house. 

And then, project the film, such as Pulp Fiction on your lily white living room wall. 

Use your good sound system with 8 large audio speakers at full tilt. 

THIS is the way to watch Pulp Fiction. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

On 8/6/2021 at 6:36 AM, Nemises said:

If you're a cheap Charlie or live in Nakon nowhere without a nearby English speaking cinema, then yes, download free movies and watch them at home on your "big screen" with Lazada sound bar.

But you are having yourself on if you think that your state-of-the-art home theatre is anywhere near as the experience as going to the cinema for the greatly enhanced low lighting, surround sound, big screen and theatre acoustics. Especially for action or horror movies. Just remember to take something warm to wear and get there about 15 minutes after advertised start time to avoid the advertisements.

That's one of the problems with going to the cinema, they advertise the wrong starting times then ply you with adverts. Back home I video taped anything I wanted to watch on commercial TV so I could run past the adverts.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:45 PM, khunPer said:

Yes, as I'm unfortunately not rich enough to have my private Dolby Atmos digital cinema, I need to use a public venue, as I enjoy watching the new movies in a big dark room on a huge screen with excellent sound - unfortunately I have a professional career in supplying outstanding sound systems for Dolby-cinemas - and I don't fancy female company to disturb me when enjoying a good movie, but I also don't mind same beings later...????

How unoriginal of you.  I think you were trying to make a joke out of a serious topic.

What I had hoped you might refer to is the great Ian Fleming  novel, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spy_Who_Loved_Me_(novel)

This is one of Ian Fleming's most sexually explicit novels.

Most of the action takes place in the balcony of a movie theatre, where the protagonist gets what he is looking for.

I read this book at age 13.

So, if you are not James Bond, getting everything in the balcony of a cinema, then why go?

Some guys have been arrested for doing far less than James Bond at the cinema, but, who would arrest 007 for suction in the balcony?

More power to him.

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

How unoriginal of you.  I think you were trying to make a joke out of a serious topic.

What I had hoped you might refer to is the great Ian Fleming  novel, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spy_Who_Loved_Me_(novel)

This is one of Ian Fleming's most sexually explicit novels.

Most of the action takes place in the balcony of a movie theatre, where the protagonist gets what he is looking for.

I read this book at age 13.

So, if you are not James Bond, getting everything in the balcony of a cinema, then why go?

Some guys have been arrested for doing far less than James Bond at the cinema, but, who would arrest 007 for suction in the balcony?

More power to him.

I'm unfortunately dead serious, but often with a bit of good humor in my postings, and I'm a passionate film and cinema lover...????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I'm unfortunately dead serious, but often with a bit of good humor in my postings, and I'm a passionate film and cinema lover...????

OK.  Being 007 deadly serious in the balcony of a theatre is pretty much what Ian Fleming's worst novel was about.

If you read this novel, then you will see that it is difficult to make either heads or tails of it.

Ian Fleming tried to quash this novel or retract it.

If you read this novel, there is basically no plot....just descriptions of getting head and getting tail.

Still, after reading this book by Ian Fleming, his worst, I, to this day, refuse to sit in the balcony seats.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

On 8/2/2021 at 8:37 AM, possum1931 said:

If you are a film buff, would you not rather watch movies in your own home? You have all the home comforts, can buy widescreen monitors, and good sound equipment, download movies from the internet, watch them in your own time, pause them whenever you want, don't have to sit watching adverts.

Does anyone nowadays really go to the cinema on their own?

Entertainment value.

For me it's the experience, the big screen, the booming speakers, the audience reactions. I've always been a cinema fan since the ABC Minors!!

You can't replicate that at home (without annoying the neigbours), although the now empty theatres dilute the experience except for the sound and visual immersion. 

And you can always go home and download the movie and watch repeated replays AFTER the virginal orgasmic experience of the first time in the cinema.

I was in India for 4 months and went to the cinema weekly, all in the local lingo to the State I was in and completely non-understandable, but I enjoyed it all.

That's entertainment!

• Like 2

Why go to the cinema?

Because if you don't have an Atmos sound system at home, it's the only place you'll be able to hear and understand the dialog track. Playing 99% of downloaded content requires ear-splitting fx/music track volume levels to even begin to hear the dialog mix. Too loud for my neighbors I'm sure, and me; I'm in a condo. So, I use subtitles always. Maybe I'm just old.

• Like 1