Why Go To The Cinema?

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Rank screen advertising.

I can't watch adverts in the cinema without hearing in my mind the Pearl and Dean music and thinking "That's rank"

Are you still in Singapore, or Malaysia, or Indonesia, or all three?

Pearl & Dean?

Good to see that you are still alive and writing, for sure.

My, how time does fly.

You are, bar none, the smartest poster in the kingdom of posting.

How am I sure that this is true?

I just know; that's how.

In fact, you are still the virtuoso of posting.

No need to thank me for deserved flattery.

Your posts are good.

It is the flatulence which bothers me.

Keep a plug in it.

Take care, my friend.

Keep on writing your very witty and sweet nothings.

(I know that you do not remember me.  Yet, I recall you.)

You are the best writer of the bunch.

Hands down.

The thing is....and maybe the problem is.... you are really smart. No joke.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

9 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Rank screen advertising.

I can't watch adverts in the cinema without hearing in my mind the Pearl and Dean music and thinking "That's rank"

Mr Globulin pointed out one other disadvantage of the cinema; the need to smuggle our farts out silently, while avoiding sniggering, instead of letting off a trumpet fanfare at a suitable moment in the on-screen action.

I am not old enough to remember smoking in cinemas, but I assume your cigarette would flare with a tell-tale blue flame as you silently passed one out.

15 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I was in India for 4 months and went to the cinema weekly, all in the local lingo to the State I was in and completely non-understandable, but I enjoyed it all.

I'd go to Thai language movies without subtitles and enjoy trying to work out what was going.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 8/2/2021 at 9:01 AM, CharlieH said:

Nah, I think its dead now compared to years gone by. Then it was an experience seeing things on "the big screen" the great sound system and audience type atmospere etc.

With the advance of technology its dwindled to nothing.

I think it still remains special in the poorer parts of the world and for those that dont have or cant afford the home entertainment systems etc.

ti think it still remains a social thing for some too, something to go do and share, but not on the scale it once was.

Last time I went was over 20yrs ago and I  cant even remember what it was I went to see.

The last one I do remember going to was Titanic ! (1997) And yes it was with a woman....lol

I haven't visited a cinema for about 5 years now, but what stopped me was the number of bad movies I paid to see. Good movies were becoming harder and harder to find. Now, at home, if it's bad, I switch it off - no money or time wasted.

• Like 1

Stop all the bragging please, my 38 inch LG is starting to feel inadequate now ????

As for the cinema it's one thing I miss but I haven't lived near one since I came here, so not been  to the movies in a long time. I used to go alone on hot afternoons in my time in Siem Reap, often the only customer in the place. And it was cheap not so cheap now back home though.

I watch Netflix a lot as it's my only choice really, and I have to say I haven't found a series worth watching all the seasons. Only once in a while do I come accross a movie I like.

In my previous life I thoroughly enjoyed kicking off my weekends on Friday at 18:00 with a good movie, preceded by a bit of shopping and followed by some good Mexican, Italian or Asian food in the shopping center. 

Next day was an early breakfast, followed by 6 hours skiing in winter, or an 8 hours hike the rest of the year. I miss Geneva now, but that place requires half a million Bahts a month to have a good lifestyle. 

Good lunchtime ST was 10000 (CHF300)...????

Edited by Boomer6969

17 hours ago, Saltire said:

Stop all the bragging please, my 38 inch LG is starting to feel inadequate now ????

As for the cinema it's one thing I miss but I haven't lived near one since I came here, so not been  to the movies in a long time. I used to go alone on hot afternoons in my time in Siem Reap, often the only customer in the place. And it was cheap not so cheap now back home though.

I watch Netflix a lot as it's my only choice really, and I have to say I haven't found a series worth watching all the seasons. Only once in a while do I come accross a movie I like.

Agree that worthwhile movies are few and far between now. Apart from the Fast and Furious sort and the comic book movies, which i won't pay to see anymore, there isn't much worth it anymore. A few exceptions for sure- I loved The Dream Horse. Most appear to be ( IMO ) rubbish with such as The war with Grandpa. De Niro must be desperate to be in that sort of movie IMO.

I still go though, as always loved being in a cinema to see movies, even not so good ones.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

In my previous life I thoroughly enjoyed kicking off my weekends on Friday at 18:00 with a good movie, preceded by a bit of shopping and followed by some good Mexican, Italian or Asian food in the shopping center. 

Next day was an early breakfast, followed by 6 hours skiing in winter, or an 8 hours hike the rest of the year. I miss Geneva now, but that place requires half a million Bahts a month to have a good lifestyle. 

Good lunchtime ST was 10000 (CHF300)...????

In my previous life, in Singapore, I was able to indulge myself with a movie marathon on a Saturday, watching 4 or 5 movies in a row, followed by a visit to Bugis Street and breakfast in the Hilton 24 hour cafe.

It was a great place to see Kung <deleted> movies. I saw my first Bruce Lee movie there. Lots of nunchuk action, which was cut in the version released in wimpy western countries.

Life was good then.

PS seems the TVF software won't let me say the last word referencing a certain Chinese martial art.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In my previous life, in Singapore, I was able to indulge myself with a movie marathon on a Saturday, watching 4 or 5 movies in a row, followed by a visit to Bugis Street and breakfast in the Hilton 24 hour cafe.

It was a great place to see Kung <deleted> movies. I saw my first Bruce Lee movie there. Lots of nunchuk action, which was cut in the version released in wimpy western countries.

Life was good then.

PS seems the TVF software won't let me say the last word referencing a certain Chinese martial art.

Bruce Lee

Chuck Norris

Great stuff