Why Go To The Cinema?

15 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Apart from the fact that most modern films are <deleted> and in Thailand they freeze you to death.

Last film I saw at a cinema I fell asleep around halfway through because the aircon was on the 'Blizzard' setting. Can't remember the year but the movie was 'The Kingdom'.

Besides, I don't like the sound systems, too much bass. i.e. a character gets thrown against a wall and there's an almighty 'BOOOM!!'. I've heard cars crashing in real life and there is no loud mega bassy boom-bada-boom sound as the cars impact and rolls over.

I like going to the cinema. Even though I have a fairly new 65" Samsung QLED TV., the surround sound system is far better than I have at home and I find the experience more immersive. Apart from those people that don't silence their phones. 

The only problem now is that due to both covid restrictions and  a lack of tourists, my local cinemas are either closed or no longer showing films with english language. when they are open.

i did used to find it amusing sometimes to be in an almost empty cinema. Only two or three people. yet everyone still stood for the anthem.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And you think that is great sound? Think again! 

Gotta brag, I have a real nice Sennheiser "over the ears" headphone setup. THAT'S a great sound.

When theaters were open in Pattaya, I would download the movie, watch it at home, then decide if it was worth the trip. It's all about the popcorn, baby!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I stopped years ago.  The Thai cinema's are obnoxiously loud to the point that I had to use earplugs.  Absolutely ridiculous.  And honestly, most films nowadays are utter trash and pablum.  Really good movies are rare.  I'm beyond tired where plot, good scripts, and excellent acting is replaced by CGI, massive amounts of noise, and dazzling flash that follow one of a handful of cookie-cutter plot lines.  There are occasional good movies.  I'm fine with watching those on a computer at home.

Edited by ArcticFox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Absolutely ridiculous.  And honestly, most films nowadays are utter trash and pablum.  Really good movies are rare.  I'm beyond tired where plot, good scripts, and excellent acting is replaced by CGI, massive amounts of noise, and dazzling flash the follow one of a handful of cookie-cutter plot lines. 

So  True yet another  bluddy "marvel"  <deleted> fest

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

Last film I saw at a cinema I fell asleep around halfway through because the aircon was on the 'Blizzard' setting. Can't remember the year but the movie was 'The Kingdom'.

Besides, I don't like the sound systems, too much bass. i.e. a character gets thrown against a wall and there's an almighty 'BOOOM!!'. I've heard cars crashing in real life and there is no loud mega bassy boom-bada-boom sound as the cars impact and rolls over.

Oh - that to.  Thai theaters have one aircon setting - Deep Freeze. There is something wrong when I have to wear a coat inside to stay comfortable.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I have a 82in TV now and would never think of going to the cinema. Apart from the fact that most modern films are <deleted> and in Thailand they freeze you to death.

I think I'd need a bigger house

• Haha 1

Living in Pattaya, its a great place to go to the movies, there is a multiplex in every mall and 4-5 malls. There are literally 20-25 purpose built cinemas, and a big choice of soundtrack and subs, English sound/Thai subs or Thai/English.

My only complaint is the don't sell choctops (an ice cream that they sell in Australian cinemas)

• Like 2