Why Go To The Cinema?

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

So  True yet another  bluddy "marvel"  <deleted> fest

I watched Marvel the first couple of years when they came out.  They're bloody boring.  I think after it was announced that Robert Downey Jr was being paid 100 million dollars for a film that I lost all interest.  It became evident that I was paying over-inflated prices in order to make a few special people who really aren't special at all an obscene amount of money.  And now that I think of it, that was also about the time to threw in the towel and said Enough!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

In Pattaya, if you get the big double lounge chairs, they have blankets.

But you have to ask yourself, "Why?"  That's just a waste of electricity.
It's Ok.  New Normal.  Most cinemas will be history within the next decade.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And you think that is great sound? Think again! 

Actually I've gone through plenty of speaker options, 5:1 surround massive speakers, soundbar, but in the end the bluetooth earbuds work as well ........ if not better than any of the other options.

Don't knock 'em until you've tried them ....... I dare you!

TWS 5.0 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Bluetooth Headphones Mobile Gaming Headphones Workout Headphones Clear Bass Sound IPX7 Wireless Stereo Headset True Wireless Earbud Mini Bluetooth Earphone LED Display | Lazada.co.th

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Actually I've gone through plenty of speaker options, 5:1 surround massive speakers, soundbar, but in the end the bluetooth earbuds work as well ........ if not better than any of the other options.

Don't knock 'em until you've tried them ....... I dare you!

TWS 5.0 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Bluetooth Headphones Mobile Gaming Headphones Workout Headphones Clear Bass Sound IPX7 Wireless Stereo Headset True Wireless Earbud Mini Bluetooth Earphone LED Display | Lazada.co.th

The other benefit is you dont have to listen to anyone interrupting yor enjoyment either ! You can immerse yourself...5555

• Thanks 1

Just now, CharlieH said:

The other benefit is you dont have to listen to anyone interrupting yor enjoyment either ! You can immerse yourself...5555

Too true, mine likes to nag or hoover or watch a Thai lakorn on her phone whenever I sit down to a movie.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

I stopped years ago.  The Thai cinema's are obnoxiously loud to the point that I had to use earplugs.  Absolutely ridiculous.

To be fair the sound levels in cinemas are standardized. And the standard is very loud. Some cinemas play it not as loud as it is supposed to be.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes. Not being a teenager I like to concentrate on the movie.

Movies were made to be shown in a cinema, and tv shows to be seen on tv.

I much prefer watching movies in a cinema to at home, no matter the technology. Too many distractions at home.

It's like records. Records make listening to music special, but when it comes on digital it's just incidental. Likewise, the entire going to the cinema makes movies special, and not someway to waste an hour or so.

If that's what makes you happy then that's fine, but if I have any distractions, I just hit the pause button, then get back to my movie, can't do that in the cinema.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's exactly why I like the cinema- no pause button. I like to lose myself to the movie.

When I was 10 one of the things I hated in the cinema was those old people with bladder issues disturbing my movie going experience.

Feel the same about watching football live vs watching it at home on TV - would much rather watch it at home.
Watching it live invariably involves the schlep down to the ground and back, uncomfortable seats, poor views, chance of an altercation from opposing fans etc.
Much better off in the comforts of your own home with drinks and food freely on tap.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:51 AM, BritManToo said:

20Kbht gets you a 65" screen, and I wear bluetooth earbuds (150bht), it can be as loud as I can endure and nobody else can hear. Obviously a large Tv may not be practical for poor white folk living in a single room.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lg-smart-tv-4k-uhd-65un7200-65-65un7200-2020-i2266016965-s7608289810.html

Deja Vu all over again !

Got the same - except 7300

Excellent TV

On 8/2/2021 at 9:47 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

About a year ago, wife and I saw Tenet at one of the fancy cinemas in one of those Phrom Phong malls, when everything was opening up, and everyone thought it'd soon be over.

I sprang for 1000 baht VIP tickets. Man, I haven't seen a good flick in forever, and was dying for a good experience. Buffet in their lounge area included. We made sure to pig out and get our money's worth. Haha. Then they guided us in to plush reclining chairs, and more free drinks.

Man, that soundtrack is great, and the sound system really did it justice. The whole place was rumbling and we felt like were we right in the middle of the action. A welcome escape from otherwise stressful emotions. Really glad we did it, who knows when we'll be able to again now.

There are certain movies that (for me) have to be watched at the cinema (upcoming James Bond movie springs to mind) & going VIP helps make a night of it. 

Watched Tenet at "The Porch" cinema in Pattya, me & the GF were the only ones there so had the place to ourselves, awful movie but we really enjoyed the experience so worth the entrance fee.

Edit: Have to say that nothing beats going to see a horror movie in the Philippines, the Filipinas screaming at the scary bits is probably the funniest thing I've ever experienced in a cinema... 

Actually just going to the cinema in the Philippines is an experience as people go into the movie whenever they get there so if they turn up 1hr into a 2hr movie they'll watch the last 1hr, then stay for the 1st 1hr and leave...   

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

Have to agree on the whole….except I hadn’t been to the cinema for about 15 years and I decided a visit (here) would be a treat. Me and 6 (Thai) guys in the whole place at 11 AM in the morning. Dirt cheap compared to the UK. 

What really worked for me was the film...1917. The ‘one shot’ ( actually 6 ) drew me in and the fact I wasn’t watching it at home , in the light, with people around, with possible interruptions; was unbeatable. I’ll probably re-watch it one day when I’m back on a journey to the UK , so it will be interesting to see if it works on a 23 inch screen.

• Like 2

I go whenever 1. The cinemas are open (been closed many months in Pattaya), and 2. there is a film worth watching ( not often in Patts). 

It's a different experience compared to sitting at home and I can shop in the malls at the same time. I only go in the afternoon. The main problem sometimes is people crunching smelly snacks, talking and the light from their mobiles but not often. Also you cannot always get the latest film releases on your TV esp Hollywood and foreign films (latter not common in Thailand apart from Thai films). Bangkok is best for the cinema and there are some art house cinemas which I go to sometimes.

Watching all your visual art at home can turn you into a vegetable!

• Like 1

I used to love to go to the movies but with a 65 inch tv, Netflix, and download options my partner and I don't go as much as we used to--and covid has stopped us for the last year and a half.  There are definitely some movies--like the Bond series--that we will only want to see at a movie theater.  

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 9:23 AM, tonray said:

Exactly...when I used to live near the Mall Thaphra, used to meet GF after she got off from work, eat dinner at the mall and enjoy a movie before heading home. A lot better than sitting at home and watching TV...humans need a change of pace...a night out is what it's about...not even the movie  or the tech.

Have to agree....nothing better than a movie theater and some fat inducing popcorn....I miss going 3/4 times a week....????????????????

Edited by chicowoodduck
Spell check
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Have to agree....nothing better than a movie theater and some fat inducing popcorn....I miss going 3/4 times a week....????????????????

There was a classic old theatre in Dao Khanong (Thonburi) (BMC Dao Khanong) near where I used to stay....what an experience ! I think it is still operating (obviously not in Covid times) but well worth it if you happen to be in that area. Soon all these classic places replaced by the monster Mall screens....ok for convenience but lack that old charm.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/BMC+Dao+Khanong+Miltiplex+Cinema/@13.696836,100.4823243,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipOpKLrFT_qHfsAHTj63On64_ncuN5zbMT52_AwD!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOpKLrFT_qHfsAHTj63On64_ncuN5zbMT52_AwD%3Dw203-h152-k-no!7i3648!8i2736!4m5!3m4!1s0x30e2987dd64d90d9:0xdf320f7d8b0c1759!8m2!3d13.696836!4d100.4823243