Global health insurance - does anyone here have it?

This is probably a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone here happens to be insured by BUPA Global out of the UK, for worldwide insurance excluding the USA, but living in Thailand. They call it a Gold Lifeline plan.

And to make my odds even worse, IF you do have it, are you by chance a 67yo (this year), male, with no exclusions on the cover? The reason that I ask is because they've hit me up with a massive 12.35% increase this year, and when I complained/queried they told me that EVERYONE who fits my profile in Thailand (Gold Lifeline, 67yo, living in Thailand) is paying EXACTLY the same premium. I call BS on that.

I'm guessing that the extortive gouge might be simply because I'm the only guy living here on that healthcare plan at this age, so they can charge anything they like and justify it with that qualification. Even if you don't fit that exact spec but are insured by BUPA Global UK, I'd be most grateful if you could tell me what percentage your premiums jumped 2021/2022. They claim that "medical inflation" (comprising costs of medical equipment, FX fluctuations, cost of medical care) caused the big jump, but I'm guessing that they're covering their butts a bit because of the Pound taking a bit of a hit when Brexit happened.

I'm taking it to the UK Financial Ombudsman for a second opinion, so anything you can help with would be most helpful. You're welcome to DM me if you'd prefer not to make any info public. Thanks in advance lads. ????

1 hour ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

Don't use French April international plans either then, they will raise 15% easily per year

I have them and you can ask, before, to see the premiums you will be paying over the next years. nd its nowhere the 15 % you claim in my case

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

Don't use French April international plans either then, they will raise 15% easily per year

I have this and not at all my experience.

Like many insurers, they raise by 5 year age bands.

Between the 5 year bands only changes are inflationary and I have encountered virtually none of that in last 2 years, my policy cost now is barely changed from 2-3 years before.

Of course when I jump to the next age band, there will be a notable increase.

Back to OP's situation - you should be able to get a table of premiums on request.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 3:48 PM, AwwYesNice1 said:

Been with them for a couple of years, only a few $ increase each year...

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, Sheryl said:

I have this and not at all my experience.

Like many insurers, they raise by 5 year age bands.

Between the 5 year bands only changes are inflationary and I have encountered virtually none of that in last 2 years, my policy cost now is barely changed from 2-3 years before.

Of course when I jump to the next age band, there will be a notable increase.

Back to OP's situation - you should be able to get a table of premiums on request.

Your post leaves me a little confused, as I have been informed by AA Insurance Brokers that April International does not operate with age brackets (April Thailand does). This is the information AA gave me:

I will however also provide you information on the April International plan. This plan does not work with age brackets: you will have a yearly age related increase so to say. Over the past 3 years, the general increase (so both the medical inflation correction as the age related increase combined has been 6-7%)

I just changed to April International this year, so have no personal experience with this.

• Thanks 1

OK, I have reread the material AA Insurance Brokers sent me, and it seems April International have two different plans: "April My Health Thailand" and "April My Health International". In most respects the plans are very similar, but there are some differences between them:

April My Health Thailand, ASEAN excl. Singapore

(only Inpatient)

April My Health International Essential Plan, Zone 3

(only Inpatient)

Yearly limit

16.375.000 Baht (around 500.000 USD) or 3.275.000 Baht (around 100.000 USD)

1.000.000 USD (500.000 USD when going for the Basic Plan)

Private standard room

100%

Private room is covered up to 75 USD / night (under the Basic plan, you are covered for a semi-private room)

Ambulance

100%

100%

Organ transplant

Max. 1.637.500 Baht

100%

Kidney Dialysis

Max. 163.750 Baht

100%

Medical and surgical hospitalization

100%

100%

Day Hospitalization

100%

100%

Pre- and/ or Post hospitalization fees

Outpatient care before and following hospitalization (up to 60 days before and 60 days following hospitalization covered up to 16.375 Baht (pre-as well as post)

Outpatient care before and following hospitalization (up to 30 days before and 30 days following hospitalization covered in full

Cancer Treatment (radio and chemotherapy)

100% including all necessary investigations

100% including all necessary investigations

Insured zones

Full medical cover in all European and ASEAN countries excl. Singapore. Outside your Zone of Cover Worldwide emergency cover for trips up to 30 consecutive days (max. 1.637.500 Baht)

Full medical cover Worldwide except for the Zone 0, 1 and 2 countries (please find below)

Zone 0: Bahamas (Island), Puerto-Rico, United States Zone 1: Japan, Singapore Zone 2: Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Hong Kong, United Kingdom, Russia, Switzerland, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Martin

In Zone 1 and 2 Countries  there will be coverage for medical emergencies during trips with a maximum length of 90 days.

Payment options

Yearly

Quarterly, Half -Yearly (extra costs), Yearly

Currency

In THB

In USD

Additional Note

Please note: under this plan April works with age-brackets meaning every 5 years you have an age related premium increase.

Please note: under this plan, April does not work with age brackets. This means you will have an age-related increase on a Yearly basis.

I have the international plan.

• Thanks 1

I also have the international plan. My understanding was that it goes by age brackets but perhaps I am wrong. I certainly have not noticed much change year to year in my premiums except once:

2018 - 2019: 2,831 (initial enrollment)

2019 - 2020: 2,836  (+$5)

2020 - 2021:  3,012  (+176)

2021 - 2022: 3,229   (+17)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I also have the international plan. My understanding was that it goes by age brackets but perhaps I am wrong. I certainly have not noticed much change year to year in my premiums except once:

You must be quite young!  ????

• Like 1

Just now, JetsetBkk said:

I expect to pay double that, but that would be a first payment, i.e. no history of payments, and I'm the wrong side of 70!  ????

it would not be anywhere near double. But you can't newly get this insurance past age 65.

Over 70, your best option is probably Cigna Close Care. Premium probably about USD$4,000 a year with a small deductible.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is a discrepancy in your 2021-22 numbers. Either the premium should have been 3,029 or the change should have been +217. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sophon said:

There is a discrepancy in your 2021-22 numbers. Either the premium should have been 3,029 or the change should have been +217. 

Sorry, you are right. +217

So a 7% increase

On 8/5/2021 at 9:39 PM, Sheryl said:

it would not be anywhere near double. But you can't newly get this insurance past age 65.

Over 70, your best option is probably Cigna Close Care. Premium probably about USD$4,000 a year with a small deductible.

If you are referring to April International, a few years ago when I inquired I was told they accept thru and including age 70.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Sorry, you are right. +217

So a 7% increase

So a 14.06% increase over three years or around 4.5% per year, which according to AA Insurance brokers covers both medical inflation and age related increases. Not too bad.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

If you are referring to April International, a few years ago when I inquired I was told they accept thru and including age 70.

On their "request a quote" webpage, they state that they accept applications for people 65 and younger:

image.png.37755ef2d209f4260a62af43e69b9da9.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Scroll down.

Click on/download "Policy Guide".

Section 2-2 - "Eligibility".

Thanks Jimmy.....and everyone else who's given me ideas and experiences for this request. I can confirm that April have an entry cutoff of 65yo, which rules me out unfortunately.  To Cigna Close Care I go, with fingers crossed.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Thanks Jimmy.....and everyone else who's given me ideas and experiences for this request. I can confirm that April have an entry cutoff of 65yo, which rules me out unfortunately.  To Cigna Close Care I go, with fingers crossed.

Don't cancel your current policy until you are sure you're accepted.

It can be difficult to change policies once past 60 as most people that age have 1 or more pre existing conditions which a new insurer will exclude.

Also be sure to get through a broker as Cigna's admin staff are rather ditsy/inefficient. Nothing sinister just inefficient. I think they underpay admin staff to keep premiums down and have a lot of turn over,  staff seem to be young and very inexperienced. Broker can directly contact people you can't and help expedite things (pre-authorizations and claims).

Also consider how much you can afford to pay out of pocket as a deductible and/or copay will reduce premiums. Last time I did the math, something like a USD 500-700 deductible ("excess") paid for itself within 2 years if no claim. But of course make sure you can afford it abd set that amount aside. You may not be able to later drop the deductible as the guaranteed lifetime renewal does not extend to a policy upgrade.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2021 at 11:34 AM, Buffy Frobisher said:

Thanks Jimmy.....I can confirm that April have an entry cutoff of 65yo, which rules me out unfortunately. 

https://fr.april-international.com/en/living-abroad/long-term-international-health-plan

Section 2.2 

"The maximum age you can apply for a plan is 70".

Edited by JimmyJ

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

https://fr.april-international.com/en/living-abroad/long-term-international-health-plan

Section 2.2 

"The maximum age you can apply for a plan is 70".

Jimmy, I spoke with them yesterday. You have to sign up before 65, and as soon as they had my DOB they said sorry but no can do. I suggest that the documentation is out of date.

2 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Jimmy, I spoke with them yesterday. You have to sign up before 65, and as soon as they had my DOB they said sorry but no can do. I suggest that the documentation is out of date.

Did you check with April Thailand or April out of Paris?

I don't know who "them" is, and it's possible it changed the last 2 years, but if you haven't done so I would urge you to contact AA Insurance - either the woman recommended in the thread or Matt ( [email protected])  - and double check.

Edited by JimmyJ