Marriage without a trip to Bangkok possible?

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Please explain how you got an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry without visiting your embassy.

How long ago did you get married?

I'm Dutch, we get them by mail from(my case) The Hague, have them translated in Phuket who sends it to BKK . When it comes back can get married, did it about 10 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bubblegum said:

I'm Dutch, we get them by mail from(my case) The Hague, have them translated in Phuket who sends it to BKK . When it comes back can get married, did it about 10 years ago.

Hi Bubblegum. I’m Dutch as well and I think the disagreement in this thread is due to the fact that some nationalities can only get the Affirmation to Marry from their embassy whereas others can also get it from their municipality in their home country. This being the case for Dutch people. 

Question; when you received your ‘ Verklaring van Huwelijksbevoegdheid’ did you do anything else with it in The Netherlands, such as legalize it at the Thai embassy? Or just take the paper to Thailand and have it translated and legalized there?

13 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Hi Bubblegum. I’m Dutch as well and I think the disagreement in this thread is due to the fact that some nationalities can only get the Affirmation to Marry from their embassy whereas others can also get it from their municipality in their home country.

I did a search and found this for getting married here.

https://www.netherlandsworldwide.nl/countries/thailand/living-and-working/certificate-of-the-capacity-to-contract-marriage

It is in English but I sure you can find a version in Dutch.

53 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I did a search and found this for getting married here.

https://www.netherlandsworldwide.nl/countries/thailand/living-and-working/certificate-of-the-capacity-to-contract-marriage

It is in English but I sure you can find a version in Dutch.

Correct, I called The Hague, they send the papers, translated in Phuket a.s.o.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:55 PM, bubblegum said:

I was married in Phuket, no problem just need some papers you can get easy at your home country. Stuff like saying you are single and no criminal record or something (long time ago) then have those papers translated by a certified translator who will send them to BKK for confirmation. The one who did it for me is in the same road as the  Amphur office where you can marry. If my recoletion is right.

As you say: Long time ago. But Since many years you have to go to Bangkok, there is no other Option!

I would look for a translation service in Bangkok. They can translate your ‘Affirmation of Freedom to Marry’ and then take it to your embassy where it needs to be legalized. And then they can take it to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs where the stamp from the embassy needs to be legalized. And then they can it send to you in Phuket. The link from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

http://m.mfa.go.th/main/th/services/1303/24762-Procedure-of-Document-Authentication-by-Mail.html

For the registration of your marriage in Phuket: Check out if you need to make an appointment as many Amphoes don’t register ‘walk-ins’ anymore (or at the moment). And some Amphoes don’t register foreign marriages at the moment (I have heard!?).