Should I declare daughters Thai passport at UK passport appt.?

Hi all.....

I have an appointment for our 3 daughter's UK passports this Friday........

They are asking for copies of their Thai passports, I don't remember doing this before. Shall I declare them or will it affect them?

Only 1 is valid, 1 has expired (if yes, should I still produce this one) and 1 is a baby and doesn't have one yet anyway 

Thanks in advance....

Declaration of all valid passports is required in one dedicated passport application form section. Producing originals or copies of passports not being replaced : NOT REQUESTED on UK Gov. form. Somply complete Form......

Simply point out this form section to VfS.

VFS are not to be adding to UK Gov. process.

so VFS have no right asking..... typical thai bureacrat mindset of asking for extra unnnecessary docs.....which potentially lead to more invalid requests...... ask for Supervisor and threaten to report them to UK Gov if they insist.......

• Confused 2

It is now a requirement to give details of any other passports/

8.1 The United Kingdom places no restrictions on the ability of a British citizen to hold dual nationality. The passport application gathers information about other passports held for security purposes alone and it does not provide dual citizenship information to the country of origin. Therefore, disclosure of an existing passport or ability to apply for a passport issued by another country is necessary and relevant to the UK passport application and issuing process.

Section 8.3 also states that it is a criminal offense not to disclose other passports

I believe that the names have to match in both passports, there was quite an issue with this a few years back. caught lots of people out when renewing passports.

see section 8  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/548220/Annex_A_passports_August_2016.pdf

10 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Declaration of all valid passports is required in one dedicated passport application form section. Producing originals or copies of passports not being replaced : NOT REQUESTED on UK Gov. form. Somply complete Form......

This from the bottom of page 1 of this list of supporting documents.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

"② Uncancelled non-British passports: Please send us a colour photocopy of your non-British passport (every page including blank pages). We retain the right to ask for the original passport. We will let you know by email or post if we need you to send it to us."

19 minutes ago, howerde said:

I believe that the names have to match in both passports, there was quite an issue with this a few years back. caught lots of people out when renewing passports.

yes, you can't renew your passport if you another name in another passport

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

yes, you can't renew your passport if you another name in another passport

That is so. HMPO are arrogant enough to suggest that if the name in your other passport is different, then you must get that one changed. When we renewed my missis's UK passport a few years ago, it would have been a real faff to change her Thai id, bank accounts and everything, so she changed her UK name to her Thai name by deedpoll and applied with that, no problem. As mentioned above, a full colour copy of both passports is required.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

That is so. HMPO are arrogant enough to suggest that if the name in your other passport is different, then you must get that one changed. When we renewed my missis's UK passport a few years ago, it would have been a real faff to change her Thai id, bank accounts and everything, so she changed her UK name to her Thai name by deedpoll and applied with that, no problem. As mentioned above, a full colour copy of both passports is required.

Actually one of my kids has a different spelling in her middle name but they never said anything about it. 

I was thinking of changing my Thai name, but I will wait and rethink when I renew my British passport, which will give me 10 years with twp passports with different names.

How much is it to change  name by Deedpoll?

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Actually one of my kids has a different spelling in her middle name but they never said anything about it. 

I was thinking of changing my Thai name, but I will wait and rethink when I renew my British passport, which will give me 10 years with twp passports with different names.

How much is it to change  name by Deedpoll?

I strongly suspect that having 2 passports having different names is going to lead to fun and games when and if you next make a trip back to the UK. You will need to show your British passport with your British name when boarding your outbound flight at BKK, and your Thai passport with your Thai name when boarding your return flight at LHR. Since you will presumably have booked a return air ticket using 1 or other of these names, you will almost certainly be denied permission to board the flight where the passport and booking names don't match each other.

The only way in which you could avoid this problem arising would, as far as I am aware, be to book a single ticket for the BKK-LHR flight in your British name and another single ticket for the subsequent LHR-BKK flight in your Thai name. This could prove a tad expensive!

As regards changing your British name by deed poll (which I assume is what you are asking about), this would not appear to be possible in the case of permanent residents living overseas, if the GOV.UK website (see link below) is to be believed. I can only infer that this is a change for the worse which the powers-that-be back in the UK have seen fit to inflict on us since @Eff1n2ret's wife changed her British name to her Thai one.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

Never mind what VFS say. What does UK Govt. Say ? 

Meticulously Follow Passport Renewal Form & Guidelines. 

Declaration of all valid passports is required in one dedicated passport application form section. Valid non- UK passport copies ARE required.

Names in all valid passports must be Identical.

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

book a single ticket for the BKK-LHR flight in your British name

@Neeranam Upon further reflection even this could be problematical with Thai Immigration at BKK Departures because you would show your Thai passport with your Thai name and your boarding pass with your British name to the immigration officer, who might raise an eyebrow or 2 (at least) at the name discrepancy between the 2 as a result. A similar situation shouldn't apply in the reverse direction, though, because passports are not, in my experience, checked by British immigration officers at LHR Departures. All in all, though, it would appear that you are faced with a potentially difficult and messy conundrum, unfortunately.

Edited by OJAS

My wife has her Thai passport in her maiden name, and her UK passport in her married name. When she has to renew the UK one, she will first have to change her name by deedpoll as the poster did above.

But she has travelled several times between Thailand and UK like this, you just have to be careful. Basically for the airline it is the UK married one, and everything else the Thai one

Assuming you start in UK:

- book ticket in married name of British passport

- present that passport at check-in and departure gates etc

- on arrival at BKK, put the UK passport away totally, and go through Thai immigration with Thai one

- on departure from BKK - check in counter with British passport

- at BKK Thai immigration, show the Thai passport so they have you arriving and leaving on the same Thai one

- at boarding gate, change back to the UK one

- on arrival in UK, use UK one through e-gates

Now, once or twice immigration has commented that the Thai passport she presents doesn't match the name on the boarding pass etc, but then you explain it to them and show the UK one only if asked. Don't confuse them by showing both unless they do ask.

Now, you could get this even with two passports in the same name - because the boarding passes show the passport number and they can notice that that is different even if the name is same. Case in point - I have a UK and NZ passport in identical names. I follow the exact procedure above, but on arrival in NZ I cannot use the electronic arrival gates as the passport is not on the electronic flight record. I have to go to the counter.

of course if I travel anywhere but to NZ, it is simply the UK one all the time.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

My wife has her Thai passport in her maiden name, and her UK passport in her married name. When she has to renew the UK one, she will first have to change her name by deedpoll as the poster did above.

You wife could change her name at a Amphoe here in Thailand. Probably less trouble and cost than doing it in the UK.

And then get a new passport with her new name on it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OJAS said:

I strongly suspect that having 2 passports having different names is going to lead to fun and games when and if you next make a trip back to the UK

She has been to the UK a few times with no problem, although I was worried. It is only her middle name that is spelled differently.

I have dual-citizenship, and was in two minds about declaring it on my recent British passport renewal. application. I decided to be truthful in the end, as there is always the possibility that being caught out in a lie in future, and the consequences therefrom, would off-set any (presumed) advantage in not declaring the other country's passport.

On a slightly different note, what a pleasure it was to receive back a "Brexit" blue passport and not a red EU one. I found it to be quite uplifting. The jacket is not as substantial as the previous blue model, it must be said, but the colour alone is heart-warming in itself!

On 8/4/2021 at 11:41 AM, howerde said:

Yep and I'm one of them
My sons name doesn't match his Thai passport (his 1st and middle names are reversed)

Only realised it when I came to renew his UK passport and they spit it back.

Haven't been able to get his Thai passport corrected from the Embassy in London so he currently doesn't have a valid passport as both are expired.

Lucky we aren't intending on going anywhere lol