Challenges of online learning mount as schools in many Thai provinces closed

webfact

school.jpg

The challenges of online learning persist in Thailand as schools in several provinces are ordered closed during the COVID-19 pandemic. The concerns are especially over kindergarten children, for whom online learning may not be suitable, as children of this age require physical development as well.

Not only do the teachers have to adapt their lessons, parents also have to help out. Some parents, however, still have to work during the pandemic. Therefore, their children are left with their grandparents or other relatives, who may not be especially tech-savvy, which makes it a lot harder for children to learn and develop other essential skills.

Some kindergarten teachers say that, when online teaching is the only choice, apart from learning to use new technology, with which some teachers are not familiar, investing in more equipment, such as a smartphone, computer or even a tripod to film their study materials, becomes a necessity.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/challenges-of-online-learning-mount-as-schools-in-many-thai-provinces-closed/

Logo-top-.png

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Wait till the new term and parents start refusing to pay the schooling fees due the schools not being open.

Almost a year away from being indoctrinated... the kids will be unruly....

2 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Kindergarten online... Yes that'll work????

Well, it's as challenging as trying to herd cats online! I have taught classes of 20 KG kids online (with a local teacher in the classroom to run around..).  After each lesson I could sink a few beers......

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Wait till the new term and parents start refusing to pay the schooling fees due the schools not being open.

Yes indeed. A few schools are offering discounts though.. International schools will also be losing (if they haven't already) the quality foreign teachers that have had their salaries reduced here.

5 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I feel so sorry for my own kid and the neighbors kids who come to our house every day to learn together, who are trying to learn online every day. It is so much different from the interactions at school and so inefficient because the teacher do not understand what you can do with online learning, instead turning it into homework presentations, sending the papers and letting the kids do the paper work at home and then sending it back, couldn't be more boring.

In order to have a better online experience:  The students at your home should have a projector hooked up to a computer with good camera facing the students. Same as video conferencing at any good company.  This can help to duplicate the classroom experience as much as possible.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

In order to have a better online experience:  The students at your home should have a projector hooked up to a computer with good camera facing the students. Same as video conferencing at any good company.  This can help to duplicate the classroom experience as much as possible.

I know all that, teacher sets the rules, nobody to interfere.

3 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I know all that, teacher sets the rules, nobody to interfere.

And some of them are not thinking practically.

Some materials required for the online projects need to be pulled out of the miracle box.

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

One thing Covid should have taught the world: online learning, distance learning, whatever you want to call it, is a vastly inferior form of teaching compared to in-class instruction. It shortchanges students at every level, primary, secondary, and college and university. Once this plague has ended, I hope it also drives a stake through online learning. But somehow I think just the opposite is going to happen. A two tier educational system, one online for the serfs and a traditional classroom setting for the elites.

On the bright side, if they can refine online learning to improve delivery, it may result in improved outcomes for those in poverty (through free online courses). That probably only benefits self motivated students, but some of the free online University courses are gold.

Anuban Phayao is closed but a school 400 meters away is open. My son is almost nine and online learning is a load of garbage. They are taught for 30 minutes and then a break for 40 minutes. In the last 2 weeks we have had 2 days with 8 hour power outages. So no learning. Online where I live is a joke

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 7:34 AM, jacko45k said:

Why is that...... ?

@jacko45k Sweden never closed schools for the under-16s. Today, Sweden has zero Covid deaths without vaccinating children. Sweden achieved this miracle by allowing the young and healthy to get Covid and form a wall of immunity for their elders.

On 8/5/2021 at 2:36 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Way to go. However the reality is that most children have shared access with their siblings to a base model smart phone with a slow internet connection.

10 hours ago, paulikens said:

@jacko45k Sweden never closed schools for the under-16s. Today, Sweden has zero Covid deaths without vaccinating children. Sweden achieved this miracle by allowing the young and healthy to get Covid and form a wall of immunity for their elders.

Well I know for a fact Sweden is doing OK now.... but back in April and May infection numbers had people worried, but it did not translate into higher deaths. Hindsight is a fine thing....

I have not seen your claim of how this worked substantiated and results in UK showed children and schools to be a serious concern relating to infection transmission. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 8/5/2021 at 7:38 PM, ripstanley said:

In the last 2 weeks we have had 2 days with 8 hour power outages.

Sorry to hear. Here we have 1-2 outages in a week, for about an hour at the most.

I'm teaching online and we give our kids a full normal schedule. They're supposed to be ready at their phones to participate in Line Groups, for each class as if it were a usual school day. We have lessons prepared and sometimes tell them to watch a YouTube, sometimes we've filmed it ourselves, or we give them a Google Form to fill out, or we have a live Line Meeting. It works quite well, I can see 8-12 of my students on screen at once. But unfortunately, many just aren't showing up.

Doubt it's connection probs. Most of the moo bans I've seen around have these mini cell towers next to the electrical poles. You know they've got good Internet for their YouTube, Tiktok, Instagram or whatever, otherwise they'd all be rioting by now.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 1