S&P 500 ETF's doubled in 5 years.

3 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

So.....does that mean that you risked a whole $200+ .....

......great that it worked out good for you.......:coffee1:

Hu? That's just the increase in price per share over the chosen timeframe. It does not show how many shares he is holding.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Hu? That's just the increase in price per share over the chosen timeframe. It does not show how many shares he is holding.

Thanks for that eisfeld...... So Maybe he didn't risk the whole $200.

Just joking I have no clues at all about stock shares.............................:w00t:

I've had the Lion Global Infinity U.S 500 Stock Index Fund in my portfolio since 2011, it's been a useful contributor over the years.

848269462_2021-08-0616_32_00-CompatWindow.jpg.48689f6020890da633b3ebaecfd5d070.jpg

Edited by Stocky

26 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

They are only worth anything when you come to sell them.

OK, on paper your investments show at double the value

That's why periodically you take profits and reinvest in something else; diversification.

When you consider it, ever since we abandoned bartering, just about anything apart from the cash in your pocket is 'only there on paper', though even that relies on the seller accepting your currency at face value.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 2

Sorry, your charts are all wrong.  You forgot to add in the dividends you would have been regularly paid, which should have purchased more shares a number of times each year. So realistically, you would have made much more than you think.

I don't own any ETF's, only mutual funds. Do ETF's pay dividends?

SP500.png

Edited by gargamon

all the charts are correct, showing the correct stock prices and index, which were what I  intended to show.

Your have adds dividends to the stock appreciation . That's all.

Yes ETF also pay dividend which i reinvest into the fund as it was paid, so my total return is more then what you are showing.

there are more then one way to look at things dont say i am wrong please.

57 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I don't own any ETF's, only mutual funds. Do ETF's pay dividends?

Some do pay out the accumulated dividends on a quarterly basis, others reinvest them, depends on the fund.

That graph is pretty much the same for any country. In the wake of the 2007/8 financial crisis, precipitated by the sub-prime mortgage scam, governments agreed on a policy of quantative easing in order to maintain liquidity and encourage lending and investment. This was designed to stave off a repeat of the Great Depression experienced after the 1929 Wall Street Crash.

Whether the hangover from a decade (and counting) of cheap money and its borrowing frenzy will be worse than the decade long period of the Great Depression only time will tell.  But certainly if you've left your money in the bank the last ten years you've been committing financial suicide.

• Like 1