Should I Pay Twice For A Bowl Of Rice At Fuji Restaurant?

Weho

Recently while dining at Fuji restaurant, Big C on Sukumvit in Pattaya, I ordered the salmon steak lunch special. As usual, I asked the serving person/waitperson for a small side of teriyaki sauce, and they always comply. The serving person delivered some sauce, which I immediately poured over the steamed rice bowl that came with the lunch special.

I immedietely realized it wasn't teriyaki sauce, as was confirmed, but rather was similar-looking OYSTER sauce. Naturally, I was horrified, and contacted the serving person at once, and asked this person, (who appeared to be female, but I'm never certain in Pattaya), to remove the tainted rice bowl, and bring me a new bowl of steamed rice, and some teriyaki sauce. The serving person did, but I was charged an additional 16 baht on my check for a "rice bowl".

Naturally, I was beside myself with grief, and demanded they reverse the charge, as I felt I had done nothing wrong. I clearly asked for TERIYAKI sauce, and I had no reason to suspect they would deliver unsavory Oyster sauce to me. To their credit, they promptly removed the charge, and I left my usual good and generous tip for their standard good and friendly service.

I relayed this tale to a faux friend of mine in the greater Pattaya area, who said things like, "oh, how could you, why didin't you just pay the extra 16 baht, you're cheap, you're evil, don't bother them, it was an innocent mistake, it was ONLY 16 baht, you can afford it, it's not the end of the world, you're the worst person in the world", etc. I said it wasn't even a "principle" thing, but rather I wanted to pay only for what I had ordered, which was the lunch special, untainted by Oyster sauce, which I didn't ask for. Then the faux friend repeated all of the above, "you're cheap, you just want to make a point, it's the principle with you", etc.

I asked the faux friend if in their business, would it be o.k. for a supplier to overcharge them 10%, which represented the cost of the rice bowl. The faux friend said things like, "oh, that's different, not the same thing, you're just cheap, you're a bastard, those people work very hard", etc.

So, my question is: does anyone thing I was wrong, and should simply agree and encourage them to overcharge me and others for things we did not order?

Remember, it's very easy, behind the anonomity of a computer, to just write, "you are cheap, just pay it..." etc. But if you believe that, I ask you is it OK in your business, for you to be overcharged by suppliers 10%, without your complaining about it.

And if you DO think I was unreasonable to complain about not wanting to be charged for what I didn't order, at what point, what arbitrary point, what arbitrary price, is it OK to complain? Hypocrits welcome to respond.

Edited by Weho

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naturally, I was beside myself with grief, and demanded they reverse the charge, as I felt I had done nothing wrong. I clearly asked for TERIYAKI sauce, and I had no reason to suspect they would deliver unsavory Oyster sauce to me. To their credit, they promptly removed the charge, and I left my usual good and generous tip for their standard good and friendly service.

Are there wars going on in the world, where people are getting killed on a DAILY basis?

You are a total FUSSPOT!

Keep it real before someone bursts your fussy little bubble world! :o

I make you right.

No matter if 16 or 16'000 baht it's the principle !

Should of made sure the waitress was severely reprimanded as well, just to make sure she learns the error of her ways and thinks in future of the consequences her actions can cause.

They removed the charge, so what's the problem??

You were not 'ripped off' or anything approaching it.

I guess you missed the point. My faux friend THINKS I should have simply paid for the supplemental bowl of untainted rice. Is my faux friend crazy? I was not ripped off because I feel I should only pay for what I ordered...

And to the other poster who feels the sauce-pourer should pay, you need to brush up on your reading skills as well... remember, the sauce was represented to me as being TERIYAKI sauce. I am not familiar with oyster sauce, but at FUJI restaurant, the two sauces apparently look, PHYSICALLY look, quite similiar. Perhaps the serving person just picked up the first bottle they could find of a sauce that looked like that, and they made the mistake of giving me oyster sauce... so why should I pay for THEIR mistake?

I have needs, and one thing I don't need is oyster sauce. The thought of it is, well, distasteful at best.

On another note, I would add that their substitution policy, or lack of it, is unreasonable at best. One time I asked the manager if it was O.K. for me to trade in, (before I was served anything), [on the lunch special]: the kim-chee looking stuff, the lime, the miso soup, the dessert plate, the tiny coffee cup, ALL of that PLUS 40 baht more, for one more little side salad bowl... they said they would not. But I understood that, and didn't complain... that shows you how reasonable I am. They don't sell the small side salad at any price. I once offered 1,000 baht, and they wouldn't go for it. It was just too much pain for them to sort out.

I have just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading about a tight farang who is worked up over paying for extra bowls of rice.....I seriously need to get out more. PS - PM me if you need the 16b, I am sure I can help you out...

:o

Edited by kratindaeng

Yes ... you should have paid. Your friend is correct.

I test sauces before putting them on food ... but basically count your blessings that you saved that whopping 16 baht for YOUR mistake :o

principles are great..when not in extremes!

You may be pleased with yourself that you stuck to your guns, but maybe next time your luntime special may be a bit more 'special' than you bargained for...

I have just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading about a tight farang who is worked up over paying for extra bowls of rice.....I seriously need to get out more. PS - PM me if you need the 16b, I am sure I can help you out...

Congratulations, you foolishly took MY BAIT... so, since the 16 bath was about 10% of the total cost of the special, that you, behind your anonymous computer screen, think I should just casually pay, are YOU willing to be overcharged in your business the same 10% by say a supplier or delivery person? Would it be ok if say you bought a pirated DVD at Tutcom, gave a 1,000 baht bill, and they overcharged you 10% of the total cost? Would you just let that go, casually, as you expect me to pay for tainted rice? As you hide behind your anonymous computer screen, talking real tough about how generous you are, and how cheap you think I am... puh-leese. Grow up. And don't take bait so easily.

And it was NOT my mistake... I don't go to a restaurant to be a "taste tester"... I don't get paid to do that. If I order a teriyaki sauce, and they confirm the order, and deliver a sauce to me that clearly resembles teriyaki sauce, I have done all I needed to do, within reason, to assure I got what I ordered. It was THEIR mistake, not mine, sweetcheeks.

Congratulations, you foolishly took MY BAIT... so, since the 16 bath was about 10% of the total cost of the special, that you, behind your anonymous computer screen, think I should just casually pay, are YOU willing to be overcharged in your business the same 10% by say a supplier or delivery person? Would it be ok if say you bought a pirated DVD at Tutcom, gave a 1,000 baht bill, and they overcharged you 10% of the total cost? Would you just let that go, casually, as you expect me to pay for tainted rice? As you hide behind your anonymous computer screen, talking real tough about how generous you are, and how cheap you think I am... puh-leese. Grow up. And don't take bait so easily.

And it was NOT my mistake... I don't go to a restaurant to be a "taste tester"... I don't get paid to do that. If I order a teriyaki sauce, and they confirm the order, and deliver a sauce to me that clearly resembles teriyaki sauce, I have done all I needed to do, within reason, to assure I got what I ordered. It was THEIR mistake, not mine, sweetcheeks.

Clearly not the opinion held by me or some others here ... again your friend was right .....

now can you tell me about cheap sandwhichs? ... do you whine about the prices of songtheaw?

Clearly not the opinion held by me or some others here ... again your friend was right .....

So easy to write that, behind an anonymous computer screen. In reality, I would guess you would be amongst the FIRST to express outrage at being overcharged for anything. I guess if you're not given enough/correct change, you just keep quiet, thereby encouraging MORE theft, and MORE dishonesty. In some small way, I feel I was doing a public service to other customers... let the restaurant know they can't always get away with their criminal activity of theft/overcharging. Again, in Fuji's defense, they quickly came to their senses, realized their mistake, repeat: THEIR mistake. Odd that behind an anonymous computer screen, everyone is so quick to make they claim that they would have simply bent over, and allowed themself to be overcharged.

This is setting a really poor example, and is shameful behavior, at best, because it ENCOURAGES overcharging... but I guess behind the computer screen, you people can surprising very easily just look the other way. Oh, how I would love to see how quickly you respond if not given enough/correct change. As i posted in the original message, BRING ON THE HYPOCRITS!

Edited by Weho

Between the 13 baht you saved on the bus rip off ... and the 16 baht you scammed Fuji out of because of your mistake ... you can buy a bottle of beer!

but about the above ,,,, make up your mind would I be the first to get upset? or the first to bend over?!

You didn't help out other people ... you were just cheap.

Between the 13 baht you saved on the bus rip off ... and the 16 baht you scammed Fuji out of because of your mistake ... you can buy a bottle of beer!

but about the above ,,,, make up your mind would I be the first to get upset? or the first to bend over?!

Gee, I don't even remember the 13 baht bus rip off story... can you refresh my memory? But I'll give you credit for either a good memory, or some fascination with me, that you probably took the time to look it up in the "history" of the site... or maybe you're just obsessed with me.

and if you feel so strong that I scammed Fuji out of 16 baht, I only consumed one bowl of rice... the one included on the lunch special. They make the mistake, and they had to "eat" the loss of the tainted rice. I don't drink beer, sorry... and I believe you would be the first to bend over... Yes, you would bend over for Fuji, or anyone else taking advantage of you. You like that. You like it, behind the anonymous computer screen. I'll bet if you were scammed by Fuji, you would be screaming and whinning, and they probably woudln't give in to you, even if you were right, which I'm sure you never would be. Now go bend over.

Edited by Weho

Gee, I don't even remember the 13 baht bus rip off story... can you refresh my memory? But I'll give you credit for either a good memory, or some fascination with me, that you probably took the time to look it up in the "history" of the site... or maybe you're just obsessed with me.

and if you feel so strong that I scammed Fuji out of 16 baht, I only consumed one bowl of rice... the one included on the lunch special. They make the mistake, and they had to "eat" the loss of the tainted rice. I don't drink beer, sorry... and I believe you would be the first to bend over... Yes, you would bend over for Fuji, or anyone else taking advantage of you. You like that. You like it, behind the anonymous computer screen. I'll bet if you were scammed by Fuji, you would be screaming and whinning, and they probably woudln't give in to you, even if you were right, which I'm sure you never would be. Now go bend over.

:o:D :D :D :D LOL ... life must be rough! again .. you say I'd accept it .. and you say I'd cry .... you'll have to save some more $$ to buy something stronger than beer! :bah: oh wait .. shots of lao khao are only 10 baht! you could have almost 3 shots!

edited because my typing looked like I had been drinking :bah:

and sorry .... just realized that it was you trying to save 13 baht on the bus ... and getting shafted because you were cheap :o

Edited by jdinasia

I wish I'd offered the 16 baht, I could have been called "sweetcheeks" too. :o

How do you put together 16 baht? Is it something to do with those little coins things I leave in the ashtray for the room maid?

Actually I know how the OP feels. I once ordered tomato sauce for my noodles, but was given chili instead. It was a faux sauce!! I was flabergasted! How dare they!

I wish I'd offered the 16 baht, I could have been called "sweetcheeks" too. :o

How do you put together 16 baht? Is it something to do with those little coins things I leave in the ashtray for the room maid?

Actually I know how the OP feels. I once ordered tomato sauce for my noodles, but was given chili instead. It was a faux sauce!! I was flabergasted! How dare they!

LOL ...

I was once given chang instead of change! Horrid! I squealed like a schoolgirl .... no wait that was the OP :D

:D:o

I bet you don't even have the common decency to give a reach-around :D

They brought the wrong sauce.

You soiled your rice.

If you had poured your oyster sauce in a Beer Chang, do you get another free beer?

How could they have known you would soil your rice? That was an action on your part. Yes, you should have been the taste or smell tester. I am careful with my baht, but in your scenario, I would not have complained.

They brought the wrong sauce.

You soiled your rice.

If you had poured your oyster sauce in a Beer Chang, do you get another free beer?

How could they have known you would soil your rice? That was an action on your part. Yes, you should have been the taste or smell tester. I am careful with my baht, but in your scenario, I would not have complained.

I made that point earlier .... but some folks just ARE cheap :o

Life is to short to get steamed over 16 baht. While i agree you should not have been charged for the new rice. That is part of the Thai charm that farangs have to put up with. In the thai's eyes you are already rich and it should not bother you to pay for there mistake. MAI PEN RAI! Just take into account all the other good deals you get in Thailand and call it even.

Once I stayed in AO Nang Bay for a week. Everyday i had my breakfast at this little place right on the beach road.

Every morning I would order 2 eggs over easy and some toast. After the first 3 days of getting every kind of egg except the over easy way i like it, I decide to send the eggs back and told them I only want over easy eggs.

It took 5 tries to finally get them over easy. My wife and I were in tears laughing every time the brought out the wrong eggs. But it was they who had the last laugh. When i got the bill, they charged me for all 5 attemps at the over easy eggs. It still was cheaper than breakfast in the states. I fiqure that a small price to pay for a funny story to share with family and friends when ever we got out for breakfast.

PKG

over easy

Knowing Thailand for a while like I do, I would have been surprised if I had NOT been charged for the five botched egg attempts!

Excuse me, I have to go out now and order a Beer Chang with oyster sauce (with an egg in it).

Edited by Jingthing

Recently while dining at Fuji restaurant, Big C on Sukumvit in Pattaya, I ordered the salmon steak lunch special. As usual, I asked the serving person/waitperson for a small side of teriyaki sauce, and they always comply. The serving person delivered some sauce, which I immediately poured over the steamed rice bowl that came with the lunch special.

I immedietely realized it wasn't teriyaki sauce, as was confirmed, but rather was similar-looking OYSTER sauce. Naturally, I was horrified, and contacted the serving person at once, and asked this person, (who appeared to be female, but I'm never certain in Pattaya), to remove the tainted rice bowl, and bring me a new bowl of steamed rice, and some teriyaki sauce. The serving person did, but I was charged an additional 16 baht on my check for a "rice bowl".

I relayed this tale to a faux friend of mine in the greater Pattaya area, who said things like, "oh, how could you, why didin't you just pay the extra 16 baht, you're cheap, you're evil, don't bother them, it was an innocent mistake, it was ONLY 16 baht, you can afford it, it's not the end of the world, you're the worst person in the world", etc. I said it wasn't even a "principle" thing, but rather I wanted to pay only for what I had ordered, which was the lunch special, untainted by Oyster sauce, which I didn't ask for. Then the faux friend repeated all of the above, "you're cheap, you just want to make a point, it's the principle with you", etc.

I asked the faux friend if in their business, would it be o.k. for a supplier to overcharge them 10%, which represented the cost of the rice bowl. The faux friend said things like, "oh, that's different, not the same thing, you're just cheap, you're a bastard, those people work very hard", etc.

So, my question is: does anyone thing I was wrong, and should simply agree and encourage them to overcharge me and others for things we did not order?

Remember, it's very easy, behind the anonomity of a computer, to just write, "you are cheap, just pay it..." etc. But if you believe that, I ask you is it OK in your business, for you to be overcharged by suppliers 10%, without your complaining about it.

And if you DO think I was unreasonable to complain about not wanting to be charged for what I didn't order, at what point, what arbitrary point, what arbitrary price, is it OK to complain? Hypocrits welcome to respond.

You are 100% correct, we work hard for our money so why " give it away " ? Dosen't matter how little or how small.

( This is slightly off topic, but anyway )I was in Thailand recently, stayed in a 5* hotel Pattaya, I had a wash bag with contact lenses (£200) and some aftershaves (£150) that were stolen from my hotel room, only people who went in there were the maids. Complained to hotel and spoke with the Manager, anyway after 30 mins getting nowhere a Thai person in our party said to me " oh well better to leave it as the maid will probably get sacked if the hotel finds out who it is was and also they get paid very little " .

At this point my political correctness went out the window and said you can stick that statement up where the sun don't shine ( I have translated it politley here ) and said in reply, " O, OK, so that thief gets away with it and he/she lines up another poor sod and does the same thing. I don't work 6 days a week and 10 hours a day and let some little thief get away with this. They did find the thief and fired her on the spot.

Am I satisfied she got the bullet, yes.

You are 100% correct, we work hard for our money so why " give it away " ? Dosen't matter how little or how small.

( This is slightly off topic, but anyway )I was in Thailand recently, stayed in a 5* hotel Pattaya, I had a wash bag with contact lenses (£200) and some aftershaves (£150) that were stolen from my hotel room, only people who went in there were the maids. Complained to hotel and spoke with the Manager, anyway after 30 mins getting nowhere a Thai person in our party said to me " oh well better to leave it as the maid will probably get sacked if the hotel finds out who it is was and also they get paid very little " .

At this point my political correctness went out the window and said you can stick that statement up where the sun don't shine ( I have translated it politley here ) and said in reply, " O, OK, so that thief gets away with it and he/she lines up another poor sod and does the same thing. I don't work 6 days a week and 10 hours a day and let some little thief get away with this. They did find the thief and fired her on the spot.

Am I satisfied she got the bullet, yes.

:o Rice? 16 baht ring any bells?

I make you right.

No matter if 16 or 16'000 baht it's the principle !

Should of made sure the waitress was severely reprimanded as well, just to make sure she learns the error of her ways and thinks in future of the consequences her actions can cause.

what about some additional torturing and a permanent reminder like cutting one of her fingers off?