Is gold a good or bad investment - 10 year plan

such nonsense ......  your better of buying 1000 shares of Lockheed Martin or Northrop Grumman or a similar solid company where returns for 10 yrs will be much better +  you will get a dividend of 5% or better or whatever every year also. ( whatever the dividend is paying )

Why do you think the Dick Cheney's and Bill Clinton's and others are so wealthly,  it's because they have solid investments, not a gold bullion ...  Lol    !!!   .    Just my opinion. 

Think about it.

The value of gold is less and less in today's society. 

You will make some money by investing in it a decade later but there are so many better options.

Governments are already creating their own digital currency which will make gold obsolete.

• Like 1

I believe in the intrinsic worth of Gold:

Aristotle defined the characteristics of a good form of money – which must be:

• Durable: Money must stand the test of time and the elements. It must not fade, corrode, or change through time;
  • Portable: Good money needs to hold a high amount of 'worth' relative to its weight and size;
  • Divisible: Money should be relatively easy to separate and re-combine without affecting its fundamental characteristics. An extension of this idea is that the item should be "fungible", defined as "being freely exchangeable or replaceable, in whole or in part, for another of like nature or kind."
  • Intrinsically Valuable: This value of money should be independent of any other object and contained in the money itself, starting with rarity.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

such nonsense ......  your better of buying 1000 shares of Lockheed Martin or Northrop Grumman or a similar solid company where returns for 10 yrs will be much better +  you will get a dividend of 5% or better or whatever every year also. ( whatever the dividend is paying )

Why do you think the Dick Cheney's and Bill Clinton's and others are so wealthly,  it's because they have solid investments, not a gold bullion ...  Lol    !!!   .    Just my opinion. 

Think about it.

lockheed martin share price has dropped 110 dollars this year,

ive just checked.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Sukkaphapsickle said:

I believe in the intrinsic worth of Gold:

Aristotle defined the characteristics of a good form of money – which must be:

• Durable: Money must stand the test of time and the elements. It must not fade, corrode, or change through time;
  • Portable: Good money needs to hold a high amount of 'worth' relative to its weight and size;
  • Divisible: Money should be relatively easy to separate and re-combine without affecting its fundamental characteristics. An extension of this idea is that the item should be "fungible", defined as "being freely exchangeable or replaceable, in whole or in part, for another of like nature or kind."
  • Intrinsically Valuable: This value of money should be independent of any other object and contained in the money itself, starting with rarity.

“Gold is money, everything else is credit”

-J.P. Morgan

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

ive just checked.

possibly did over 1yr, but I am quoting a 10yr investment ......   pls see the chart below.   Much much better than gold bars 10 yrs ago thats for sure, + you get the dividend.

image.png.a1186c53774977159acc10b3b0d5f4a1.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

ive just checked.

if you had 1000 shares of Lockheed martin over 10 yrs you would have made ....

$300,000  profit ......  gold doesn't even come close+ you would have got 10yrs dividend free cash also. ....

do you understand ?

and if you bought 10,000 shares in 2011 ...... you would now have US$3,570,000 .00

3 Million five hundred & seventy thousand dollars   US.

Edited by steven100

On 8/15/2021 at 8:34 PM, A1Str8 said:

The value of gold is less and less in today's society. 

You will make some money by investing in it a decade later but there are so many better options.

Governments are already creating their own digital currency which will make gold obsolete.

Sure. That's why Bank of Thailand bought NINETY TONNES of the stuff in April and May.

https://www.bullionstar.com/blogs/ronan-manly/thai-central-bank-leads-pack-buying-90-tonnes-of-gold-over-april-and-may/

They are not alone.

Don't listen to what the central banks say. Do what they do. Quite simple really.

• Like 2

Gold, as any other physical holding, pays not dividend, no interest while you hold it.  One only makes money if the price of the Gold increases above what you paid for it.  Now, had one bought Gold in 2004 at say $400 an ounce one would have made 3 or 4 times their investment within the next 9 years.  Then Gold dipped and rose again.  Your money could easily be dead money for many years and earning nothing.  Interest rates are likely to rise.  Global stability is a <deleted> shoot.  So up to you to try and hold for ten years in hopes of doubling or tripling your investment.  Or invest in things that return 7 % which will double over 10 years as an example.  I gave up trying to predict things to any great extent and just took the brute force approach. Since I was working, I could save quite a bit every month and every year and I just kept pouring money into dividend and interest paying Funds, a few stocks, tax free Municipal bonds in the appropriate account, etc.  I think most people fail miserably at trying to buy low and sell high.  Even if they time it right, they rarely sell at the high point.  They keep holding and hoping it rises some more, but it doesn't and they give back much of their gains

• Like 1

If you look at my past posts I am a great crypto basher. However from the global point of view crypto markets are traded 24/7 and unlike gold (which you should always buy physical anyway) the whole world is trading crypto. Literally everyone has access to it. Just imagine the never ending money supply pouring into crypto markets. All you need is a mobile phone.

It's pretty crazy.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 4:11 AM, oznomad said:

Don't listen to what the central banks say. Do what they do. Quite simple really

right on bro, let me just fire up my printing press in the garage and print off a few trillion dollars like they have done these last few months.....simples innit! ????

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 12:16 AM, driver52 said:

right on bro, let me just fire up my printing press in the garage and print off a few trillion dollars like they have done these last few months.....simples innit! ????

????

Central banks are continuing to buy gold.

Bank of Thailand bought a further 70 TONNES in April and May.

https://www.bullionstar.com/blogs/ronan-manly/thai-central-bank-leads-pack-buying-90-tonnes-of-gold-over-april-and-may/

On 8/19/2021 at 4:25 PM, ballpoint said:

Gold is not an investment, it is one of the pillars of wealth management. You do not buy gold with the intention of selling it in X years, you buy it with the intention of selling it either in times of financial crises, or at some later date for a similar real value for which you purchased it.  You should be buying it with spare cash that you don't need to invest in growth options, such as equities.  For that reason, looking at historical gold prices and trying to determine what the price will be like in 10 years is rather meaningless.  As a currency depreciates - and there is every indication that this will happen globally in the very near future, (particularly the US dollar), gold tends to appreciate accordingly, so that if you were to buy, say, $100k of gold today and sell it for, say, $150k some time in the future, you can be reasonably certain that you will get the same value from that $150k then as you get from the $100k now.  In a financial crisis, however, all bets are off, and gold will appreciate rapidly until the crisis is over, at which time it will settle back to its real value.  I buy it as a form of financial insurance.  Given a run on banks, or stock market crash - and, once again, there are a large number of financial experts predicting just such events, it will act as a readily convertible form of currency to see me over until things go back to normal.  I have no expectations of making a killing from it - I leave that to my stocks (as long as the market is ticking along), and have no plans on selling it at all if I can help it  Ideally I will pass it on to my children and grandchildren, but it is there as a safety net should I need it.

As to a previous comment about gold being challenged by government digital currencies, the reverse will be the case. Government issued, and controlled, digital currencies will be the death knell of current cryptocurrencies, which are too hard to regulate under the current system.  And governments hate that which they can not regulate. And tax.  The very talk of how much Bitcoin is increasing in value, and the money to be made from it accordingly, just goes to prove that it is not an alternative to gold, but rather to growth stocks.

so, is bitcoin a decent punt ?   whats your thoughts,  might whack another £1000 on BTC ????

8 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

so, is bitcoin a decent punt ?   whats your thoughts,  might whack another £1000 on BTC ????

Let in retrace first then enter your 1000 it will return you 1500/2000 by year end. 

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

In 1660’s Amsterdam the guilders went on Tulip bulbs … you couldn’t go wrong … until it did.

It's a debunked theory have you even looked at the fundamentals of cryptography, smart contracts and finance using blockchain technology it's certainly not a flower.