Electric Tuk-Tuks costing as little as 60,000 baht ready by October

webfact

Electric tuk tuks have been available in Thailand and China for at least past 5 years, Chinese are very cheap but no parts and no service centers.

Thai were priced at around 300 000.

60 000 is very cheap, and i assume would carry no more than 2 people.

What is significant is that it will have approval for public use transport, which means it can be registered and legally driven in the roads.

A mini pick up tuk tuk priced around 100 000 i think will do very well, many might opt out to buy one of those, instead of buying a bike and attaching side car to it

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Many, if not most, modern cars are near silent at nominal urban speeds anyway unless some clown goes to the trouble of making them a noisy variation of pollution.

Off topic but I wish they would make motorcycles run quieter too, where are the electric versions of them? Probably not sell well here and they would be confused as to why it wasn't noisy with a special exhaust pipe fitted.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Off topic but I wish they would make motorcycles run quieter too, where are the electric versions of them? Probably not sell well here and they would be confused as to why it wasn't noisy with a special exhaust pipe fitted.

There are actually quite a few "E" bikes available now, although I don't know if any are for sale in Thailand at this time.  One would imagine the local riders of such machines here could/would attach one of those WOMPING BIG speakers to their back for extra sound effects.  Like they do on the back of pickups for just about any reason at 6 o'clock in the morning in every village across the country?

Check out this article which showcases some really nice E-bikes:

https://luxe.digital/lifestyle/cars/best-electric-motorcycles/

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There are at least a couple of electric bikes that I think are also locally made. One I have seen is a SWAG .

Probably go un-noticed because they are quiet? ????

19 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Okay....

How far and how long on one charge?

How long to fully charge?

How long do the batteries last before replacement?

How much does battery replacements cost?

How many would you like to buy?? 55555 More seriously all good questions.

25 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Many people living in Th are not tourists......

Local people prefer to buy their own motorcycles or even rent. Tuk-tuk is too expensive and only suitable for tourists.

17 hours ago, Thai Dan said:

Here's one from the U.S.:

image.png.6aceb6a45b5222b666fddca4f8199fa7.png

Put 4, ahem, "healthy" Americans (I'm American, so..) in there plus a driver and you're tipping the scales at a ton.  And that model is for sale in the U.S.  Here's a good link to that reality:

https://www.treehugger.com/wheeled-electric-tuk-tuks-offer-clean-silent-shuttle-delivery-option-4857674

Like I say, that's probably fine and Thailand may be able to handle it with some relatively affordable shifts to the grid.  If so, more power to them.  But in the meantime they can simply go with natural gas while moving in that direction.

We have one of these we bought here.  showroom near Bangna Trat highway. 90 k but they've had to replace the batteries on warranty. I goes about 45-50 kms before charges. Takes about 4 hrs. Only had it 4 months and so far so good. Made in China of course. Its more of a novelty actually.

HSEMMOTORS.

SEV-PIXEL-tr.jpg

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

We have one of these we bought here.  showroom near Bangna Trat highway. 90 k but they've had to replace the batteries on warranty. I goes about 45-50 kms before charges. Takes about 4 hrs. Only had it 4 months and so far so good. Made in China of course. Its more of a novelty actually.

HSEMMOTORS.

SEV-PIXEL-tr.jpg

The problem being you cannot get License plates or insurance for them.....

22 hours ago, lesmac said:

Not sure if any 2 strokes left, they use Daihatsu 3 cylinder 4 strokes running on LPG

Since when? I only know the smelly two-strokes, but then again. I’ve left Thailand in 2014. Good to know they switched to something cleaner, though.

19 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Where are the charging stations

Our Condo has an electric golf cart to take up to nine people to the Beach, it is plugged into a normal 220 socket, I suppose these will do the same

Coming soon to your house: electric piracy.  Got an outdoor or otherwise publicly-exposed mains socket?  Time to remove it, lest one of these quiet vehicles pull up to your house and run up your energy bill without you noticing it. For tropical locations they could consider solar panels on the roofs of these things. 

If the US is really going to have all electric vehicles by 2035 (as GM has stated) they will need to address the recharge question: will there be as many recharge locations as there are gas stations at present, and how long will it take to do a full charge and get back on the road?  People having to interrupt their trip and wait an hour isn't going to go over well.

Also in the US in recent years there has been vandalism of recharge stations and smashing up electric vehicles.  I don't know what the purpose is, but the guys doing it are the ones with the pickup trucks with US flags flying and the decals boasting of gun ownership.  For more info search on

tesla charging stations vandalized

This culture war silliness may affect the whole initiative.  Makes as much sense as that thing with the CFL light bulbs and being pro childhood obesity.  On the other hand, Tesla seems to be doing a brisk business in aftermarket windshield replacement. 

Edited by bendejo

There's no point in buying electric tuk-tuks or motorbikes with gas prices as cheap as they are. Tuk tuks get about 80 mpg. With gas prices at 40 baht/litre, you are talking 1 baht per kilometer - a small fraction of what you can charge your passenger for a journey.

ICE tuk tuk parts are cheap, repairs are cheap, gas is cheap and available everywhere. There is zero economic reason to buy small electric vehicles for now.

Just to clarify, I'm a fan of electric cars and trucks, where the economics of ownership make a lot more sense.

Edited by nkg