Electric Tuk-Tuks costing as little as 60,000 baht ready by October

webfact

7 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

If they prove reliable good move. Local production  good move.

Why some people harp on about the lack of  sound  from electric vehicles is amusing. Many, if not most, modern cars are near silent at nominal urban speeds anyway unless some clown goes to the trouble of making them a noisy variation of pollution.

Natural gas is much cleaner than coal and relatively cheap.  Thailand produces approximately 5.5 kWh of electricity from solar out of a total electricity generation of approximately 170 kWh.  I say enforce the LPG rules for now.

5 minutes ago, Thai Dan said:

Natural gas is much cleaner than coal and relatively cheap.  Thailand produces approximately 5.5 kWh of electricity from solar out of a total electricity generation of approximately 170 kWh.  I say enforce the LPG rules for now.

If solar is expanded it will  eat into the 22 percent of coal based generation. LPG is still the main expensive generation source.

2 hours ago, johng said:

So do these electric ones have a  sound system to recreate that sound ? 

if not they shouldn't be called Tuk Tuks any more   but what to call the sound of an electric motor ?

also  if no sound  how will pedestrians know to jump out of the way ????

Your comment reminded me of Simon and Garfunkel’s song “ Sound of Silence “ ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Okay....

How far and how long on one charge?

How long to fully charge?

How long do the batteries last before replacement?

How much does battery replacements cost?

Who/where will the batteries be recycled? 

8 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

If solar is expanded it will  eat into the 22 percent of coal based generation. LPG is still the main expensive generation source.

At what cost and what environmental impact?  LPG is a good, clean option and Thailand should be proud they have gone that route to the extent they have.  Pushing for more solar and wind, with the associated costs and environmental impacts in the current covid economy (not to mention this administration), would be the final nails in the coffin.  Would you like to see the economy recover?  Most people would.

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Okay....

cost is low but tax is similar to wine i've heard

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

The lead photo immediately brought back childhood memories from 60 years ago. Gosh, how things have advanced since then.....

16421607282_fb3869de8e_b.jpg

indeed, completely forgot about those.

remember the commotion when the milkman left his horse at home. 

94492B6A-7558-44E3-928E-EFFF6900C187.jpeg.86b126bc5c79abd0f9a0ad169fea6d33.jpeg

• Like 1

Its good to see local manufacture and uniquely thai etc, but resorts, hotels and condos are already using electric golf carts, and have been for years. My condo block in Jomtien has one downstairs, drops at the beach and mall.

I'm not getting that this is a groundbreaking new form of transport. Its a little niche market thats already serviced with electric golf carts.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When they come into use I hope they have a warning sound permanently on or people will get run over, IMO.

That was a cause for concern in the UK when electric/hybrid cars were first registered as taxis/private hire vehicles.

Eventually a study concluded that a warning noise was unnecessary. The constant whining sound from the front right hand seat was deemed an adequate warning of the vehicles approach...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Okay....

Sir you do know hard questions make people uncomfortable.....

Also

Where will a driver charge his Tuk Tuk?

How will a all but currently broke Tuk Tuk driver buy one?

Will a Tuk Tuk driver want to buy one? I sure would not if I was a driver...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikebike said:

???????????????????????? ya crack me up!!

I'm here all week!

https://group.met.com/fyouture/natural-gas-vs-coal/66

(the first result from a search)

50% cleaner than coal.  Natural gas plants can be idled and turned to full power, or anything in between, 24/7.

But I must apologize: This is about Tuk Tuks, and I think it's fine if they move all 20k+ of them to battery power.

I have a feeling the Tuk Tuks that Bangkok Metal Works is talking about producing are based on the following study:

https://www.engineeringforchange.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Tuk-Tuk-in-Thailand.pdf

And anything under THB 100,000 will be without the batteries (read the study).

My issues center more around setting close/near deadlines to convert ALL or produce ONLY electric vehicles by some arbitrary date with no way to pay for it without bankrupting an already bankrupt population, and in many cases taking away their livelihood in the same stroke.  Don't give corruption a chance either, please.....

1 hour ago, Thai Dan said:

At what cost and what environmental impact?  LPG is a good, clean option and Thailand should be proud they have gone that route to the extent they have.  Pushing for more solar and wind, with the associated costs and environmental impacts in the current covid economy (not to mention this administration), would be the final nails in the coffin.  Would you like to see the economy recover?  Most people would.

To be honest I do not understand your comment.

Yes LPG is a clean burning fuel other than  co2 output. But in an internal combustion engine is still inefficient . A constant burn electric generation plant is somewhat more efficient in conversion to electric . But either one adds to the atmospheric  build of carbon emissions.

Solar or other alternatives have their own environmental pollution issues but dramatically  less in terms of the demon atmospheric carbon problem.

The best long term solution IMO is to eliminate as much as possible the  private automobile proliferation and provide efficient mass public transport.

I do believe that eventually the world will be forced to that one way or another on a scale most  would consider impossible. That is if in the longer term humanity has not reduced itself to a primitive state of simple survival in much smaller numbers.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, djayz said:

This I've got to see with my own eyes before I buy one. 

Here's one from the U.S.:

image.png.6aceb6a45b5222b666fddca4f8199fa7.png

Put 4, ahem, "healthy" Americans (I'm American, so..) in there plus a driver and you're tipping the scales at a ton.  And that model is for sale in the U.S.  Here's a good link to that reality:

https://www.treehugger.com/wheeled-electric-tuk-tuks-offer-clean-silent-shuttle-delivery-option-4857674

Like I say, that's probably fine and Thailand may be able to handle it with some relatively affordable shifts to the grid.  If so, more power to them.  But in the meantime they can simply go with natural gas while moving in that direction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

To be honest I do not understand your comment.

Yes LPG is a clean burning fuel other than  co2 output. But in an internal combustion engine is still inefficient . A constant burn electric generation plant is somewhat more efficient in conversion to electric . But either one adds to the atmospheric  build of carbon emissions.

Solar or other alternatives have their own environmental pollution issues but dramatically  less in terms of the demon atmospheric carbon problem.

The best long term solution IMO is to eliminate as much as possible the  private automobile proliferation and provide efficient mass public transport.

I do believe that eventually the world will be forced to that one way or another on a scale most  would consider impossible. That is if in the longer term humanity has not reduced itself to a primitive state of simple survival in much smaller numbers.

Sorry you can't understand.

Demons?  Proliferation?  Forced?  Humanity reducing itself to a primitive state of simple survival in much smaller numbers?!!?!!  Wow!

Take it easy, big fella.  We'll get there eventually and harness all that mother nature has to offer.  Just try not to bankrupt and starve those that you presume to be helping.  Then we can all get along.  Unless the temperature goes up another 1.5 degrees, of course.  Then we're screwed, right?