Best Krungsri Branch in CM?

Barley

Hello,

I would like to open a second Thai bank account at a Krungsri branch, just  to have an alternative if my main bank ever gives me any trouble.

I also have been told that Krungsri allows nationwide free Thai ATM withdrawals.

Which Krungsri branch in CM is most foreigner friendly?

What do you mean by nationwide free Thai ATM withdrawal?

There are not many Krungsri branches compared to other banks so you can't be choosy. It depends on where you stay.

I go to the branch at Central Festival and find them alright, not sure about the rest.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barley said:

Most banks take a fee if f.e. you have an account with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai and you withdraw cash from an ATM in Bangkok.

Here someone said that Krungsri takes no fee:

Each bank has its pros and cons. The problem with Krungsri is that there aren't many branches around as compared with Bangkok Bank.

So you may have to travel quite a distance to the nearest branch from your hotel in Bangkok if you want to withdraw from Krungsri.

I heard from the bank manager that Krungsri is a Japanese owned bank.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

So you may have to travel quite a distance to the nearest branch from your hotel in Bangkok if you want to withdraw from Krungsri.

No you could use a nearby ATM,. Any bank’s.

Yes   Barley as you wrote below correct.

6 hours ago, Barley said:

I thought with an ATM card from Krungsri any bank's ATM could be used. Is that not so?

Edited by Bill97
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Barley said:

I thought with an ATM card from Krungsri any bank's ATM could be used. Is that not so?

Don't other banks charge us for using their ATM facilities? Especially if it is in a different province from your home province.

Edited by EricTh

On 8/12/2021 at 8:07 PM, Barley said:

I would like to open a second Thai bank account at a Krungsri branch, just  to have an alternative if my main bank ever gives me any trouble.

The high interest account offered by Krungsri is their Mee Tae Dai account (1% for most of your money; 1.1% for first 100K) but you can only withdraw twice a month. That's no big deal as you can also open a regular low interest Krungsri account and attach an ATM card and do just one big monthly withdrawal amount from Mee Tae Dai and hold one withdrawal in reserve in case of emergency.  In case of multiple emergencies, the third monthly withdrawal results in a 50 baht fee.

The Mee Tae Dai account is also good for Immigration.

https://www.krungsri.com/en/personal/deposit/savings-account/mee-tae-dai

You can also use their app to transfer from your Krungsri account to your bank; only takes a minute.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Don't other banks charge us for using their ATM facilities? Especially if it is in a different province from your home province.

Are those charges significant?  About how much?

Or are you getting off about 20 or 30 Baht?

If withdrawels in other provinces, or at other banks, are free depends on what debit card you have. You need to look at the fees for the specific debit card.

Some debit cards don't charge any fee for using the ATM of another bank, some cards offer something like 4 free withdrawels per month, some charge a fee for every withdrawel.

It's the same with most other banks.

It doesn't really matter which branch you choose, because you can do everything at every branch, there is no need to ever visit your "home" branch.

Edited by jackdd

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

If withdrawels in other provinces, or at other banks, are free depends on what debit card you have. You need to look at the fees for the specific debit card.

Some debit cards don't charge any fee for using the ATM of another bank, some cards offer something like 4 free withdrawels per month, some charge a fee for every withdrawel.

It's the same with most other banks.

That is true per se, but in addition to this, banks handle out of region withdrawals differently. And Krungsri seems to be the only bank that doesn't charge for out of region ATM withdrawals.

This means, even though you may have f.e. 4 withdrawals free on your card when using an ATM which does not belong to your bank, you will still get charged with most banks even on your first or second withdrawal outside of your local region, be it your banks ATM or another banks ATM.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Barley said:

That is true per se, but in addition to this, banks handle out of region withdrawals differently. And Krungsri seems to be the only bank that doesn't charge for out of region ATM withdrawals.

This means, even though you may have f.e. 4 withdrawals free on your card when using an ATM which does not belong to your bank, you will still get charged with most banks even on your first or second withdrawal outside of your local region, be it your banks ATM or another banks ATM.

A few months ago I was with a friend when he was opening a Krungsri account, and I recall, although my memory is a bit hazy, that he was given three options for his ATM card, with different fees involved.  I believe he went with a card that had no annual fee but might be more restrictive with certain transactions.

I think even with the cheapest card he could still get 4 free transactions out of region.  

It seems there is not one rule for Krungsri catds, but rather three rules depending on the option chosen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barley said:

Thanks for informing us.... 

Edited by EricTh

On 8/13/2021 at 10:31 PM, shortstop2 said:

The high interest account offered by Krungsri is their Mee Tae Dai account (1% for most of your money; 1.1% for first 100K) but you can only withdraw twice a month. That's no big deal as you can also open a regular low interest Krungsri account and attach an ATM card and do just one big monthly withdrawal amount from Mee Tae Dai and hold one withdrawal in reserve in case of emergency.  In case of multiple emergencies, the third monthly withdrawal results in a 50 baht fee.

The Mee Tae Dai account is also good for Immigration.

https://www.krungsri.com/en/personal/deposit/savings-account/mee-tae-dai

You can also use their app to transfer from your Krungsri account to your bank; only takes a minute.

Can we not have ATM card attached to Mee Tae Dai?

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

Can we not have ATM card attached to Mee Tae Dai?

You can have an ATM card linked to the Mee Tae Dai.   

But since you only get 2 free withdrawals with the Mee Tae Dai account IMO it is best to open up two accounts with Krungsri, a Mee Tae Dai and a regular account which has an ATM card attached.   Once or twice a month you can move big money online from your Mee Tae Tai to your regular account and use the ATM card attached to your regular savings account for everyday transactions. 

Note a withdrawal might be at the bank, online, or a small purchase.

• Like 1