Samui Plus: Only about 10 foreigners per day are visiting island

webfact

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They already had it, for a few years, prior to Covid. They called them zero baht tourists. Came in package groups, pre-paid in China. Ate only at low priced buffets, at 60% off the normal rate. Stayed only in hotels, where the tour operator negotiated 40-70% off the rates. The only ones who really benefitted were 7/11, Tesco, and King Power. Few made any money, and nearly all complained about the lack of quality tourists. 

You have been living on Koh Samui, how many "zero baht" Chinese tourists did you see..?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Do you remember the multiple videos of those reprobates storming the buffet food warmers with wild and reckless abandon? I don't miss them in the least.

Those Photos of the Hordes walking behind the Banners sent shivers down my spine.

Urgh

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, khunPer said:

You have been living on Koh Samui, how many "zero baht" Chinese tourists did you see..?

Not as many as on the mainland, that is for sure. The islands seemed to attract more middle income tourists. But, nearly everyone I spoke to on Samui, and Phuket over the last five years said income was way, way down, with the majority Chinese, Indian and Malaysian tourists. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

I wonder how long Bangkok Airways can hold out with only 10 passengers per flight.
Or is there any government subsidy money for the airline?

With the government banning flights, I am sure that all of the airlines are receiving something from the government. After 'commissions' of course.

23 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

With the government banning flights, I am sure that all of the airlines are receiving something from the government. After 'commissions' of course.

As far as I know it seems they got nothing since the start of the pandemics...they have asked for soft loans, but got nothing so far. With Bangkok Airways as a listed company if there was something they would have included it in the financial reports.

https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-airlines-loans-idUKL4N2OX11U

The way the things are developing there are going to be casualties if they don't reopen the flights soon, or some support is given.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Does this count tourists coming on the ferries?

Despite COVID-19 there still crowded and almost fully booked on the weekends.

I haven't been since Early April, maybe things have changed.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

To my knowledge, those complaining about lower business are the same as those that did not adjust their business plan (enough) to the change in visitors, i.e. a lot more Western families with children and Western couples, instead of singles, plus numerous prefer to stay in pool villas instead of hotels.

To me, that is the biggest change even pre-Covid. More so now that rents have dropped in price.

The private villas are cheaper and safer.

Why mix with people in a hotel, that you do not know - maybe from dark red zones.

Private villa with a pool and quite often near an (empty) beach.

Order in massage, yoga, Pilates, food, alcohol, fresh bakery items etc etc.

Plenty of places for exercise and some villa complexes have gyms and tennis courts.

If the gym is not included, there are quite a few dotted around the island.

Good internet for working or schooling and also for streaming films, sport etc.

The downside? Perhaps you can think of one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

... Touurism is now gone forever. They killed the industry. Shot it in the heart. Trillions of dollars in infrastructure wiped out. Permanently ...

Permanently ?

There wasn't much left after the 2004 Tsunami either,
a lot of infrastructure wiped out, but like weeds it grows back, 

patience young grasshopper,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cobra said:

Permanently ?

There wasn't much left after the 2004 Tsunami either,
a lot of infrastructure wiped out, but like weeds it grows back, 

patience young grasshopper,

Totally different fundamentals, and the world had fewer choices. In addition Thailand never bothered one iota to fix the dozen main problems afflicting the industry. Plus Thailand is no longer the bargain it once was.

60 plus countries are already fully open for tourism, without any restrictions. People are already forgotting Thailand. The longer they wait, the longer the re-start will take. I do not imply tourism will not be in industry here. But, the numbers will likely be 15% of what they were before. Not enough to support the industry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

60 plus countries are already fully open for tourism, without any restrictions. People are already forgotting Thailand. The longer they wait, the longer the re-start will take. I do not imply tourism will not be in industry here. But, the numbers will likely be 15% of what they were before. Not enough to support the industry. 

A number of the major European tourist destinations recently changed to re-imply restrictions due to Covid's Delta-variant makes the spread out of control - there have been European news report about unhappy guests that wished to go home, some even tested positive, and were placed in quarantine, unable to go anywhere - and some countries reintroduced home-quarantine for people returning from the "former" fully open tourists sites...????

A lot of Europeans seems to have second thought about traveling, nobody wish their valuable vacation spoiled; valuable mainly in time, but also in cost.

Travelling is difficult during a pandemic, and travelling also spreads a virus outbreak, which was the reason why the Covid-virus originally infected Europe, it spreading from mainly Italy and skiing destinations in the Alps.

In my view - both with and without crystal ball - I don't think Thailand is, or will be, forgotten, but Land of Smiles is not a hot Top-10 item at the moment on Westerner's wish list. Also due to, that Thailand is not a cheap destination due to the long flight, and today's expectations of little more luxury during a holiday than when staying at home. The tourist boom in the later past was not caused by modest backpackers heading for a bamboo hut on a deserted Bounty-style beach with bonfire-evening get togethers in moonshine, but due to people seeking a dream vacation in high-end luxury, which also the number of many-star resorts in Thailand indicates. Samui has been mentioned as the place in Thailand with the highest density of luxury hotels.

????

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Do you remember the multiple videos of those reprobates storming the buffet food warmers with wild and reckless abandon? I don't miss them in the least.

me neither..found the Russians as bad if not worse...covid has certainly cleaned that mob up i used to live in Pattaya little Moscow...