Money Grabbing Veterinary Surgeons.

On 8/14/2021 at 10:08 AM, Doctor Tom said:

We have found one clinic in Ban Chang where the owner, western trained, seems very good, but the rest of the 'vets' ( not sure if they know what a cat looks like, they probably think its a small dog) there are near to hopeless. They killed one of our cats with an overdose of pain killer. I can't prove that, but I'm almost 100% sure that is what happened.   I put vets in the same category with a good many doctors/dentists here, those outside the big hospitals and operating in rural locations.  They seem to be half trained and just there to suggest more tests, scans and injections, for no good scientific reason. Being a scientist myself, I have some inkling as to the issues and it always seems to come down to a lack of basic knowledge and educational grounding.   Start to question them and they often start to ramble.  

Strange you should say that. A big black tom kept turning up in our garden and although very nervous at first, became a family pet. We fed him well and groomed him and treated a few wounds which he'd got from fighting. After a few weeks his wounds healed up, he put on weight and he was looking really well. He developed a dose of worms, so I went to the vet who sold me two tablets and said to give him both at the same time. The same night he had the tablets, he disappeared and we haven't seen him since. that was about a month back. Was it the tablets, or did he just choose to clear off? Suppose we'll never know.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

My cat was giving me a massage the other day and comes out to be not what I expected! Trust me he didn't finish! I'll never look at him the same way again. ????????

That's more creepy than if it were a dog, IMO! Or, maybe not...

• Like 1

I have visited dozens within the years and 99% of them are just greedy idiots who know less than google.

I have finally found one that is quite smart and who can find out of the box, the only one after 20 years.

By the way, you think that some vets do some volunteer work and sterilize dogs for free ? you are dreaming, there is not even 1 vet in Pattaya who work for free, they are paid by Soi Dogs and others organizations.

No respect to any of them, they are a shame.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

I have visited dozens within the years and 99% of them are just greedy idiots who know less than google.

I have finally found one that is quite smart and who can find out of the box, the only one after 20 years.

By the way, you think that some vets do some volunteer work and sterilize dogs for free ? you are dreaming, there is not even 1 vet in Pattaya who work for free, they are paid by Soi Dogs and others organizations.

Reminds me of many in the medical profession in the US whose balls have been squeezed by big pharma and are more concerned with pushing the latest drug instead of risking malpractice by solving my problem. I expect more...

Edited by DBath
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DBath said:

Reminds me of many in the medical profession in the US whose balls have been squeezed by big pharma and are more concerned with pushing the latest drug instead of risking malpractice by solving my problem. Sorry, but I expect more...

Big pharma, you means the same that sell vaccines.... ?

exactly the same thing !

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

Big pharma, you means the same that sell vaccines.... ?

exactly the same thing !

It's much bigger than that. How about the Chinese? Pushing their goods on not just Thailand, but South America and Europe and forcing those countries to do their bidding.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, salsajapan said:

I have finally found one that is quite smart 

I am sure the quite smart vet you have found feels suitably fortunate to have you as a client

Just for reference - how much free voluntary work do you do in the community? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2021 at 10:40 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Lets say I would go with my grandmother to the doctor. We all know that she is terminally ill. Would the doctor give her an injection so that she dies? Or would he try his best to help her to live a few days longer?

Same, same, not so different.

If people really want to put their pet down they can do it themselves. The question is: Do you want to do that? Are you willing to kill her because you know she likely will die anyhow?

Doctors are not allowed to give her an injection. We discussed it with a young doctor and she advised us. She helped us to remove some equipment (normally she is not allowed as well). Grandma passed away peacefully 75 minutes later.

I discussed a couple things with a young vet regarding my dog (just in case). He was willing to help if we ever had that problem.  I asked him if I was allowed to be with my dog until the end and he told me normally Thai people will not do that. If your dog is pregnant they even refuse to sterilize her. He told me he feels sorry when he has to put down a dog and will go to the temple afterwords. At the moment I use expensive medicine to cure my dog from a liver problem. The doctor told me that I probably could get the same medicine cheaper online. In the past I killed a hamster that was given up by the vet but he did not want to do it himself.

• Haha 1

I think you could say that is the norm for most veterinarian practices worldwide, they will try to do what they can for the animal before contemplating euthanasia.

If it's your pet have an adequate insurance policy,

if it's a stray.. make that clear to the vet and say you're just delivering it, not paying for it.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, it is what it is said:

instead of complaining after the fact consider being more proactive in an animals well being. take the cat to the vet yourself and discuss how seriously ill the animal is and potential treatments, and therefore manage the cost. cat flu is not usually serious or dangerous for a normal healthy cat - it is for kittens or for cats with underlying health issues. therefore it would be extreme to put a cat to sleep simply becasue it had cat flu.

I just used cat flu to avoid typing all the names of the illness, as I could not remember them, cat flu was just one of the names my stepdaughter showed me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You think ...... those in the Thai medical profession are very well educated.

I think ............. anyone who had the money to pay the course fees passed. 

As for intelligence, I'm in the top 0.3% of the world.

Here’s what I think… most who go through 4-6 years of medical school deserve some benefit of the doubt. Whether it be for animals or human medicine. I’m not sure what you’re trying to say/prove. 

As far as your self-proclaimed level of intelligence, okay fine, whatever. Doesn’t mean SHlT to me though. 

• Haha 1

hello, can someone help me to find and buy a liquid antibiotics for dogs eyes in Thailand ?

What is the name of the medicine that you know ? is it antibiotics eye drop ?

And do you know an online shop specialized in vet products ?

Thank you so much for your help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 6:37 PM, DBath said:

Thanks for sharing your less than superior knowledge about vets. Also, please enlighten us as to how much more intelligent you are than those in the medical profession who are very well educated.

anybody with a brain just use google and knows that his vet is a dock.

I have tried dozens of vets, only 2 or 3 are able to think a little bit different (if we help them).

The ones coming directly from univ are total dumb, it's so funny that most customers cannot even understand this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toston said:

anybody with a brain just use google and knows that his vet is a dock.

I have tried dozens of vets, only 2 or 3 are able to think a little bit different (if we help them).

The ones coming directly from univ are total dumb, it's so funny that most customers cannot even understand this.

I know how to use Google, but that does not qualify me (or you) as a vet. 

Judging from your poor grammar, every one of those ‘dumb’ university graduates is smarter than you are. 

If I had to bring my sick animal to you or one of those ‘dumb’ vet school graduates, I would choose the vet school graduate - every time.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, DBath said:

I know how to use Google, but that does not qualify me (or you) as a vet. 

Judging from your poor grammar, every one of those ‘dumb’ university graduates is smarter than you are. 

If I had to bring my sick animal to you or one of those ‘dumb’ vet school graduates, I would choose the vet school graduate - every time.

This is why vets have so many customers...

people prefer to pay than using their brain.

I knew people who were thinking that doctors in hospital would save them from cancer...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thierryviteau said:

This is why vets have so many customers...

people prefer to pay than using their brain.

I knew people who were thinking that doctors in hospital would save them from cancer...

Is it just me, or am I stuck in some endless looping useless debate with a few morons?

Edited by DBath
  • Haha 2