Money Grabbing Veterinary Surgeons.

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...or perhaps the vet was just doing what he was asked to do?   Did she ask him to put it down?  

The vet would have known the cat would not survive but he still kept taking the money of her and asking her to bring it to the surgery for more medicine every day until it died, if he had any decency and not be so concerned about money, he could have advised her to have the cat put down.

I have read some of your previous posts and do not wish to have a debate with you, so don't bother replying as you will get ignored.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 10:23 AM, tingtongfarang said:

our dog had a ear infection which was sending him crazy shaking his head constantly, tried 2 vets who gave expensive ear drops and milking me for money, friends gave us the address of a very good vet but said dont let them see whitey or the price will double,

cured now it was a yeast infection

How did you cure the yeast infection?

20 hours ago, fredscats said:

another Naklua or north Pattaya animal hospital  about 3 k from Dolphin roundabout  on left side, takes them 4 or 5 days to PTS

Is that this one below, which I used to use when I had 2 dogs and thought they were very good, or the one not far short of Naklua fish market run by an older guy?

Pattaya Veterinary Clinic

Pattaya Veterinary Clinic is located on Naklua Road near to the junction with Soi 16/2. This is a highly respected clinic even though it is relatively small. Of course, all household pets are treated here and they are known for using the best medication available which can make them slightly more expensive. However, most people regard this extra expense as being worth it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I costs me 50bht to see the doctor, but 300bht to see the vet.

There are vast profits being made somewhere.

Is that 50 baht at the hospital - or at a private medical practice?

The vet practice will be a commercial business with associated overheads to cover.  It is not cheap to run a practice, and the outlay required for X-ray/ultrasound and blood analysis equipment is considerable.

• Like 2

We used a very good vet for many years. Sadly the place closed down when the owner retired. 

We tried 3 different ones since then and they are not good.

All refused to treat my pet parrot as they said they only treat cats and dogs. The poor bird as a mangled wind and bites from when a dog got into our garden and attacked it.

They all said they did not know how to amputate the wing. How hard can that be?!

In the end I got one to at least bandage it to the birds body to stop it falling over it. I asked for antibiotics and pain killers for it but the vet actually said that birds do not feel pain!  These people are supposed to be trained qualified vets yet they think a bird can not feel pain?

Then when my dog was sick with a tick  parasite thing they gave me incorrect medication. The dog started to recover, but then went back down hill. Took it back in and they told my it was my fault for not giving it the medication that they never gave to me! I said why on earth would I do that. I had the receipt and bag with all the different medications in it and there was one kind missing and not charged on the recipt.

It was clearly their fault they forgot to include it. But they would not want anyone to loose face. In the end the poor dog had to start all the treatments again and I had to pay again the full amount. 

I am sure many of the vets here are not very good. Still looking for a new one in CM. 

Just now, G Rex said:

Is that 50 baht at the hospital - or at a private medical practice?

The vet practice will be a commercial business with associated overheads to cover.  It is not cheap to run a practice, and the outlay required for X-ray/ultrasound and blood analysis equipment is considerable.

Rent on my local vets shop house is 4,000bht/month.

Stainless steel table, and a few cages out back seem to be the equipment.

Not seen any x-ray/ultrasound or blood analysis equipment.

8 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Then when my dog was sick with a tick  parasite thing they gave me incorrect medication.

Advantix ......... squeeze tube on back of neck, repeat as needed (normally at monthly intervals).

300bht for 3 tubes, treats nearly all fleas/ticks, no other medicine required.

Edited by BritManToo

On 8/14/2021 at 10:08 AM, Doctor Tom said:

I put vets in the same category with a good many doctors/dentists here, those outside the big hospitals and operating in rural locations.

Absolutely agree. The country of Bathism.

11 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

We used a very good vet for many years. Sadly the place closed down when the owner retired. 

We tried 3 different ones since then and they are not good.

All refused to treat my pet parrot as they said they only treat cats and dogs. The poor bird as a mangled wind and bites from when a dog got into our garden and attacked it.

They all said they did not know how to amputate the wing. How hard can that be?!

In the end I got one to at least bandage it to the birds body to stop it falling over it. I asked for antibiotics and pain killers for it but the vet actually said that birds do not feel pain!  These people are supposed to be trained qualified vets yet they think a bird can not feel pain?

Then when my dog was sick with a tick  parasite thing they gave me incorrect medication. The dog started to recover, but then went back down hill. Took it back in and they told my it was my fault for not giving it the medication that they never gave to me! I said why on earth would I do that. I had the receipt and bag with all the different medications in it and there was one kind missing and not charged on the recipt.

It was clearly their fault they forgot to include it. But they would not want anyone to loose face. In the end the poor dog had to start all the treatments again and I had to pay again the full amount. 

I am sure many of the vets here are not very good. Still looking for a new one in CM. 

I am sorry that your experiences have not been good.

many vets have no experience treating birds , and will refuse to attend to them.

in my opinion this is better than if they attempt to perform a procedure they are unfamiliar with

They cannot win!   If they don’t treat they are incompetent or stupid? -if they do treat and the patient dies - they are only doing it to line their pockets?

anaesthesia in birds is not the same as in mammals - it requires different knowledge and experience

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Advocate ......... squeeze tube on back of neck, repeat as needed (normally at monthly intervals).

300bht for 3 tubes, treats nearly all parasites, no other medicine required.

It can also be given as an injection.

Advocate should not be given as an injection - it is for external use only - ie skin application 

• Sad 1

Labrador  (ex street mutt) bitten by snake,taking it for evening walk,long grass at side of road he yelped,thought nothing of it at time,got him home,still limping,put iodine on it,next morn leg swelling,took to vet,confirmed bite.

slit leg top to bottom,pushed green type crushed grass onto bite ,blood all over,thought Id lost the mutt ,three days later improved      1400 for initial ,400 fot stiching

Same with poodle  another street mutt  snake bite but straight to vet  pushed poison out   1400b

7 minutes ago, G Rex said:

many vets have no experience treating birds , and will refuse to attend to them.

in my opinion this is better than if they attempt to perform a procedure they are unfamiliar with

They cannot win!   If they don’t treat they are incompetent or stupid? -if they do treat and the patient dies - they are only doing it to line their pockets?

And there you have it, half trained, or not trained at all.  Take a bird to a western vet and it will get treated. I seriously doubt that many vets here, that are supposedly 'small animal trained', can adequately treat anything other than a cat or a dog. '

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

instead of complaining after the fact consider being more proactive in an animals well being. take the cat to the vet yourself and discuss how seriously ill the animal is and potential treatments, and therefore manage the cost. cat flu is not usually serious or dangerous for a normal healthy cat - it is for kittens or for cats with underlying health issues. therefore it would be extreme to put a cat to sleep simply becasue it had cat flu.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

And there you have it, half trained, or not trained at all.  Take a bird to a western vet and it will get treated. I seriously doubt that many vets here, that are supposedly 'small animal trained', can adequately treat anything other than a cat or a dog. '

In my post I was referring to Western vets.

I treated many birds in my practice - more so because vets in other practices in my town & from neighbouring towns did not treat them. They would also not treat reptiles, fish or many other ‘pocket pets’ (rabbits,guinea pigs,ferrets etc).

I reiterate that any vet that does not feel confident to treat any particular species should not be expected to do so. It would be unethical for a vet to perform any procedure he/she was not confident they were able to complete.

A local ‘small animal trained’ vet should be, as you say, able to treat dogs and cats - but may not have sufficient exposure to other species to develop the required expertise to provide veterinary care for them.  Universities, both here & in the West, only provide cursory training for these less commonly kept species. Most vets ‘learn as they go’ with exotics. 

This does not mean that local Thai vets do not know what they are doing.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

he will play fight with small dogs but the moment a large dog comes near me he goes into kill mode

IMG_0844.JPG

I'm sorry, but what is the black dog in that picture up to??? Looks like he's trying to go balls deep.????

Haven't had a bad experience with Vets here, yet, at least as far as overcharging or recommending unnecessary treatment or procedures.  If anything, one Vet in particular went the other way.

One of our Thai countryside dogs got into a fight over a female in heat, appeared his left rear bone joint had been bitten, and he was hopping around on 3 paws, among other injuries.  Went to the fancy, more expensive Vet hospital because I thought he might require an x-ray, which our usual, small shop Vet didn't have. 

Mentioned the leg injury and gait problem because I'd carried him in, so Vet didn't get to see it for herself.  Expected she would suggest an x-ray to check for broken bone or torn ligaments, which I would have readily agreed to.  She glanced at it briefly and announced not broken, no problem, and started working on flesh wound.  Mentioned it again near the end, hoping she would take another look, which seemed to annoy her.  Well ok, she sees this sort of thing all the time......

That was 5 years ago and the poor fella is still hopping around on 3 legs to this day, 4th hangs loosely without the paw touching the ground.  Wonderful, gentle dog, it's a shame.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, G Rex said:

In my post I was referring to Western vets.

I treated many birds in my practice - more so because vets in other practices in my town & from neighbouring towns did not treat them. They would also not treat reptiles, fish or many other ‘pocket pets’ (rabbits,guinea pigs,ferrets etc).

I reiterate that any vet that does not feel confident to treat any particular species should not be expected to do so. It would be unethical for a vet to perform any procedure he/she was not confident they were able to complete.

A local ‘small animal trained’ vet should be, as you say, able to treat dogs and cats - but may not have sufficient exposure to other species to develop the required expertise to provide veterinary care for them.  Universities, both here & in the West, only provide cursory training for these less commonly kept species. Most vets ‘learn as they go’ with exotics. 

This does not mean that local Thai vets do not know what they are doing.  

I bow to your superior knowledge of course.  I can only speak from my own experiences of vets, in Hong Kong, UK and here in LOS. I find the LOS ones to be less knowledgeable, less scientifically capable and  often with a rudimentary set of skills. In Hong Kong, I kept birds, cats and dogs and my local vet was able to effectively provide a service to all, same with the UK. You are right of course, that after basic training the need is to develop skills by post grad courses, watching and learning from others more experienced than yourself and learning, solo,  on the job.  I am not at all convinced that it happens here to any great degree. We all live in a tropical country where it's more natural to find more 'exotic animals' around.  Animals here also have to live with many more risks to their health than in more temperate climates.  I don't necessarily see that reflected in the training, experience  and service offered by and from local vets in Thailand. 

• Like 1