Procedure of buying a used car in thailand?

sanook 1

Looking to buy a car(used) and first time buying(used) car in thailand. Whats the normal procedure here? Hand over the money and get the papers for the vehicle or should we(buyer/seller) go together to dlt and i pay for the vehicle after transfer is done? Its a thai seller if its matter. 

One thing I have noticed over here is garages , the ones that sell only vehicles with 4 wheels. They have no price attatched to the wind screen . If I was allowed and wanted to sell second hand cars, at my car lot I would put the price on them so anyone passing by could see how much.  Not ' How much cash you have , you look like lots , so car this much '.

When I bought my s/h Vios it took a bit of haggling as I wanted them to take in part exchange my 1984 Benz. It worked out well , the Vios is good and the old Benz looked good on their forecourt after they had steam cleaned the engine and put new mats in it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

The Auctions are good---then again I don't know what area you are in.

If nothing else it will give you a good idea of the price most of that model are going for.

I have brought 2 there , one just 7 months old---you do need a Thai speaker...everyone's talking so fast.

& 10K deposit if you want to bid.

Went to an auction last week.

https://www.mottoauction.com/

Deposit is either 20k or 40k depending on what page of the website you look on.

Some half decent cars.

Very few people there, only saw online bidding.

RAZZ

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RAZZELL said:

Some half decent cars.

RAZZ

Yer, big lack of cash-----should think that there would be many bargains---a friend brought a Honda Click 1 year old not a mark on it--from Motorbike auction-- 14K . These are the good buys because even if something wrong, its quite cheap to fix.

His 19 y/o stepson has become a permanent fixture in front of the TV 24/7---so its for him---he has now signed him up with Grab, making about 4-500 baht a day.

And there is harmony in the home once again-------:coffee1:

• Like 1

@sanook 1The Thai person from who you are buying will normally know the procedure.

My 1st vehicle here was used, but I purchased it from a use car lot. The vehicle was being sold for 1.1 million. I was told he needed 110,000 to handle the transfer and paperwork. Yes, that was false information, but he did handle all the transfer requirement. (I'm just glad it was back when the Baht was B46 to the dollar. I sold that vehicle 14 yrs later to a Thai and he took care of the paperwork/transfer. I wish I could help more.

Good Luck. I hope the vehicle works out well for you.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Some half decent cars.

RAZZ

Razz went to the site and it looks interesting but could not find a grade legend as to what the different grade letters meant

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Razz went to the site and it looks interesting but could not find a grade legend as to what the different grade letters meant

Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

https://www.mottoauction.com/auction/office/TH10/2021-08-16

I'm quite not sure how you sort out the Yellow or Red ones...but but must be doable.

I saw a "red" BMW 1200gs motorbike go for 400k+ last Friday.

Screenshot 2021-08-15 at 17.59.50.png

Edited by RAZZELL

Bought a used Car on Facebook Market Place, gave the Thai who owned it the money, He gave me the blue book. Went to the Tax office with Thai that speaks English, was in and out in 1 hour, no issues. Like some have said, if you have no mechanical background, maybe find someone who can inspect the car for you before you buy it. 

Edited by Billpro785
  • Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 10:48 AM, sanuk711 said:

The Auctions are good---then again I don't know what area you are in.

If nothing else it will give you a good idea of the price most of that model are going for.

I have brought 2 there , one just 7 months old---you do need a Thai speaker...everyone's talking so fast.

& 10K deposit if you want to bid.

Have you sold any cars? How has your experience been with that?

4 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

Have you sold any cars? How has your experience been with that?

I haven't sold any at an Auction No.  Sold 2 cars the usual way since I have lived here, adverts in Baht/sold..pinned up at the local Tesco board, and once on Face/B.  Last one 6 was years ago. Now my children usually say. oh selling your car--can I have it and pay you monthly..... so basically have given them away.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

Bought a used Car on Facebook Market Place, gave the Thai who owned it the money, He gave me the blue book. Went to the Tax office with Thai that speaks English, was in and out in 1 hour, no issues. Like some have said, if you have no mechanical background, maybe find someone who can inspect the car for you before you buy it. 

So only the blue book from seller, nothing else? No Copy id/driving licence or some signed docs from him needed? 

I bought a car very recently from an Aussie mate because he was returning to Oz. I paid him and then we attended the transport office together with all the ID we could muster. Took a while but after a fee of 2,840 baht was handed over, the ownership transfer was completed

Edited by Geordieabroad
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

I was never a car mechanic but since I had a Morgan  in 1968 I have had to work on engines. Imagine saying to my Thai wife " I think I just blew a head gasket " she would be phoning the doc or even the vet.

• Haha 1