Need new computer; Desktop computer or laptop?

notrub

I have an HP Pavilion 15 with a 512 GB SSD that I put in to replace the 1 TB HD that came with the computer.  It is not too old and is pretty good but the keys are acting up and it got me thinking about getting a new PC.  (I can get a new keyboard for about 1200 THB from China, didn't look locally yet).  This HP laptop sits in one place and is connected to a Samsung flat screen TV.  I only use it to look at the news on YT etc. and download movies.  Of course also emails, searching for info and all that stuff too.  But I am not an office worker and have no skills with graphics etc..  All pretty simple stuff.  I was thinking that I could just buy a PC unit and a keyboard and connect it to the monitor and that would be that.  It seems a bit of a waste to spend the money on a laptop that is only used at home with a monitor.  BTW.  I bought this HP from Amazon following the advice of a fellow subscriber and it has worked out very well.  Thank you, I have forgotten your name, sorry.

I would be grateful for any comments about brand names and models for both a unit and keyboard please.  I like the speed of the SSD and would be looking for a processor that loads information quickly too. Thanks in advance.  Hope you are all keeping safe and not going stir crazy.  I live in a small rural village and so can get out for dog walks etc..  Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

An Intel NUC or an Asus Mini would be ideal. If only for TV, email, Office etc, an i3 would be fine. Put your 'old' SSD into it, 4GB of RAM, new keyboard/mouse and off you go. maybe Bht 10k.

Actually, there are much better choices than what was mentioned above. Be sure to check out some hardware sites. Especially for under 10k.

Edited by Solinvictus

4 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

Actually, there are much better choices than what was mentioned above. Be sure to check out some hardware sites. Especially for under 10k.

But with Intel or Asus you will get a three year on-site warranty.

Please Solin, some examples.

• Haha 1

As others have said, you could get a remote keyboard and use the laptop like a desktop.

My HP 15" Pavillion had some wine spilt on it a few years back. I went to the HP service cetre in BKK and they told me 5-6.000B an done month! No way, Jose!

So I bought another laptop (also HP Pavillion)  online in the UK and it was brought out to me.

Then I thought hey what the heck, I will get the original one fixed now that I can live without it.

They fixed it in one day and at about 3,500B!

Bitter sweet indeed!

So, you might wanna look at that option but how long can you be without it?

A remote (Logitech bluetooth) keyboard and mouse might be the best option.

Wow!  What a learning curve.  My headaches already. Workstation, thin, mini, micro, with and w/o storage same for wi fi & BT (w, w/o).  Thanks very much for your prompt replies.  For the keyboard, I can order one from china for the pavilion for 1.100 B and stick it in myself.  (good idea to get a plug in one,however). B4 that I will take it apart and see if it just needs a clean. I uninstalled and re-installed the driver with the device manager a few times but that didn't really work.  I have some other computers, one for movies that just stays in the bedroom.  A cheap laptop is starting to look like a pretty good deal as it just needs to be taken from the box and plugged in.  You have given me food for thought and will do some research using your ideas.  Thank you.