1993 Yamaha Belle-R. Restoration thread.

Simple Jack

5 hours ago, kickstart said:

I gave the carby a good clean & syringed in some fuel. Engine would idle for a few seconds and then surge. So an obvious air leak somewhere.

Having run RC's for a few years ,one was the farm bike ,if it is the same fuel system  ?,it is a bit different from other bikes.

From the petrol tank they are 2 fuel pipes both go in to the carb, the unit that comes from the fuel tank ,is not  a fuel tap ,I think ?? a diaphragm  that can stop the fuel from flowing to the carb , or not running right ,we have had that happen twice, it  can be replaced a good one is about 350 baht ,a local bike shop should have one .

Could be a air leak , O ring perished, check the float  arm in the carb is right ,I had this on my grass strimmed last month ,flooding the whole time ,once the float arm was adjusted ,it now runs a treat , if the float arm is bent the other way it can restrict fuel supple.

Extactly right. ????

Runs off a vacuum petcock. The exact same one as the older Jogs. Binned the original & all the pipes. If age hasn't killed them. The gasohol has.

• Like 1

Looks like a fun project. Do you know the last time it was taxed? I think if it hasn't been taxed for 3 years it can be difficult to get the tax and Por Lor Bor. They kind of cut it off from the system.

Anyway, just something to check. Good luck with the restoration.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Looks like a fun project. Do you know the last time it was taxed? I think if it hasn't been taxed for 3 years it can be difficult to get the tax and Por Lor Bor. They kind of cut it off from the system.

Anyway, just something to check. Good luck with the restoration.

Yea. That could be a problem. Cross that bridge when & if it comes to it. Probably be gifted to the in-laws as a private land/farm bike tbh.

Thanks for reading & the good luck. Really going to need it on this one. ????

• Like 2

Day 03

Greeks bearing gifts.

Quick update. Had deliveries all day.

Full plastic kit & front and rear lights 1800Tb. Will pull out the compressor & match 2K paint at a later date.

Fork inners. Springs, seals & headset kit arrived. Working on the stem, yoke, fork outers & bars for fututre paint.  1010TBb.

Taking the frame/swingarm. And misc items to the local blast & coat shop tomorrow. Don't expect cost to be over 2000Tb.

Next job is to tackle the wheels. Hubs are cleaned, sanded & ready to paint. Rims and spokes are junk. New rims on order. 1.40/17"  I'm unsure of spoke specs.

(can anyone chime in?)

Will upload pics shortly. Night always seems to come to soon.

• Like 2

Simple Jack Thank for this thread I find these project incredibly interesting. Being an old carpenter with not a lick of automotive savvy I really enjoy watching those that do and the amazing transformation at their hands. Look forward to your ongoing project all the best Randell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Simple Jack said:

Next job is to tackle the wheels. Hubs are cleaned, sanded & ready to paint. Rims and spokes are junk. New rims on order. 1.40/17"  I'm unsure of spoke specs.

(can anyone chime in?)

Just take the hubs  and new rims to your local bike shop they will re-lace the wheels , with new spokes they will have a jig to do it ,without the jig you will have a job to get the wheels true.

Wife's nephew ,bike mechanic  ,said rims about 300 baht each , do not know what you paid, 2 packs of spokes  change from 300 baht, say about 2-300 baht labour.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 7:28 AM, kickstart said:

Just take the hubs  and new rims to your local bike shop they will re-lace the wheels , with new spokes they will have a jig to do it ,without the jig you will have a job to get the wheels true.

Wife's nephew ,bike mechanic  ,said rims about 300 baht each , do not know what you paid, 2 packs of spokes  change from 300 baht, say about 2-300 baht labour.

Yea. Thatwas going to be my end-game. It's been donkey years since iv'e messed with spokes.

I got a decent pair of rims & hub kit for 1300tb Rear hub is pretty shagged where the sprocket ram plate rubbers were rotted out. Teeth are all rounded & i cant be botherd squaring them up. Would end up with a load of play anyway.

hubs.JPG

rims.JPG

• Like 2

Day 05

Whole lotta love & a boo-boo

Today involved alot of old bolt resurrection. Larger random items for rust removal were placed in large ziplock bags. With the rust be gone slime.

I'll let them stew for a day or two. See how they turn out. I expect great results.

Spent several hours degreasing, sanding & painting the air box. Very sophisticated box for such an old bike. Guess they made an effort back in the day.

Ripped off the old seat cover. Cleaned & painted the the plastic base. Cut up some foam to fit the pattern. Waiting for the new cover to arrive.  I knew that heavy duty staple gun would pay for itself one day!

Tried to remove the brake disc from the old hub before it's binned. Got 3/4 with alot of effort. 8mm allen with three foot of leverage. Last one was boo-boo. Get the dude up the road to weld a bolt on it to remove. Failing that could grind it off. But the disc is in good shape. Don't wan't to risk damage. New one is 240tb. But i wan't to restore/re-use as much as possible.

Camera is knackerd. left the batts in. Which leaked. So stuck using Mrs. Jacks. Phone camera. So there won't be step by step pics i'm afraid. Hope a good idea can be got by crappy pics.

IMG_20210821_192819_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210821_192749_HDR.jpg

Edited by Simple Jack
Pics
  • Like 2

Forgot about the instrument panel!

Tore it down & tested. lubed up the gears. New puggy bulbs put in. Used a guitar potentiometer to test the fuel gauge. Had to fill/paint the plastic housing. Cables had worn huge gouges in it.

IMG_20210821_194346_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Day 06

Tom Foolery.

I had a day or two off. To maintain my sanity.

Almost all of the first wave of parts have arrived.  Hubs got nice new NTN bearings. They were due to be spoked up yesterday.

Sadly the fools sent me gay "gold" rims instead of the ones i ordered. I swear to god! i'm done with Lazada!  Every other part was ordered from

Shoppe! All were correct & came within 3 days.

Wen't to town on the yoke & stem. Cleaned to bare metal & painted with zinc acid etch primer. Got the new seat cover on. Not my best work. But looks

okay.  Almost got tendonitis pulling the large staple gun. It's back in it's home. Probably never to see the light of day again.

Etched & heat resistant painted the rear sproket ram plate thingy.  Repeated with the rear brake drum cover.

The swingarm came out great. Considering the amount of corrosion. Flappled all the straight areas. Then set about it with the dremel with numerous attachments

for the hard to reach areas. Etched primed & painted gloss black. Finished it off with Samurai 2K clear spray can. Great stuff! But you have to use it all within a few hours of popping the primer mixer. Pretty exepensive at 230tb per can.  Not really worth digging out the comp & spray gun for small items.

And then came the forks....

The left side came apart very easily. The disc side was seized. I mean rock solid!  Two fricking hours it took to get it apart!

All of life's problems can be solved with a blow torch, wd40, pry lever & a hammer! Half the time spent was removing the darn seal without damaging the lower fork. Pistons & guide rods cleaned up & can be reused. No damage to the fork outers. Got them cleaned up & painted with the methods above.

Already have the new seals,springs & inners. Just need to wait for the paint to cure & then rebuild.

The forks have been the most challenging & pain in the <deleted> job thus far. Such a nice change. With perseverance & beer. It's now behind me. Winning ????

On a happy note. Mrs. Simple used the Jog today for its break-in. Happy to report. Both came, wen't & have survived!

Will update this post with pics within the hour. Untill then. It's time for a cold one.

Take it easy all & cheers!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Could you post a pic of the etch primer you are using, please.

Sure mate.

It's in a can & comes in two flavours. Standard Etch & prime. The other is the same but for hight temp applications.

Have not seen it in a tin for spraying. But maybe could find it.

Both are about 120tb a can.

IMG_20210825_192216_HDR.jpg

Edited by Simple Jack
More info.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Simple Jack said:

The swingarm came out great. Considering the amount of corrosion. Flappled all the straight areas. Then set about it with the dremel with numerous attachments

for the hard to reach areas. Etched primed & painted gloss black. Finished it off with Samurai 2K clear spray can. Great stuff! But you have to use it all within a few hours of popping the primer mixer. Pretty exepensive at 230tb per can.  Not really worth digging out the comp & spray gun for small items.

It's a small world ,the wife uses a sidecar on her wave for running around ,I noticed the  sidecar wheel was leaning a bit to starboard ,then looked at the swinging arm, then the bushes they were  well shot ,the sidecar is a local shop made one, the swingarm  fitted was  well second hand was  from a RC 100 ,got a set of new bushes to-day 80 baht .

Getting the old ones out will be a job .looks like a home-made puller job bolt and washer  though the bushes ,a piece of pipe on the end ,with a nut and washer ,hopefully  just do the nut up should pull  the old bush out in to the pipe ,have done this before, but not one that has been in they for so long.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kickstart said:

It's a small world ,the wife uses a sidecar on her wave for running around ,I noticed the  sidecar wheel was leaning a bit to starboard ,then looked at the swinging arm, then the bushes they were  well shot ,the sidecar is a local shop made one, the swingarm  fitted was  well second hand was  from a RC 100 ,got a set of new bushes to-day 80 baht .

Getting the old ones out will be a job .looks like a home-made puller job bolt and washer  though the bushes ,a piece of pipe on the end ,with a nut and washer ,hopefully  just do the nut up should pull  the old bush out in to the pipe ,have done this before, but not one that has been in they for so long.

Blast it with wd40. & a load of heat first.  I used the exact same method. Nut & washer with an old 9mm bushing. Used a G- clamp to push the old bushings out. Once you burn thru the old rubber/plastic. Can knock it out easy enough. If your not worried about the look. Pack that bad boy full of grease. Should be good for years.

And yep. Small world. Mrs. Simple want's to make the "bell end" as i call it. Into a sidecar. Mobile selling food machine ????

Edited by Simple Jack
Add info

16 hours ago, Simple Jack said:

Have not seen it in a tin for spraying. But maybe could find it.

Both are about 120tb a can.

IMG_20210825_192216_HDR.jpg

Edited 16 hours ago by Simple Jack

Thanks.

That looks like a zinc rich cold galvanizing primer, not an etch primer. Where do you buy it ?

Here is a link to a source of automotive etch primer.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Thanks.

That looks like a zinc rich cold galvanizing primer, not an etch primer. Where do you buy it ?

Here is a link to a source of automotive etch primer.

Thai Watsadu.

Darn. The non heat resistant can claims to etch. Hopefully it will be okay. Thanks for the link. Will order some up for future projects.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:57 AM, Randell said:

Simple Jack Thank for this thread I find these project incredibly interesting. Being an old carpenter with not a lick of automotive savvy I really enjoy watching those that do and the amazing transformation at their hands. Look forward to your ongoing project all the best Randell

I'm no means a master. Tinkerer at best.

Just getting through my midlife crisis. And reliving the good auld days of yore. I wish i'd gotten into carpentry! Can just about chisel out door hinges. Without disaster ????

Thanks for reading. And the goodluck.  All the best to you too mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1