returning to thailand

Already sold house in Ireland and trying to get things sorted, lets do this by points

1) I am UK citizen, I lived in Thailand 2003-2018 mainly using retirement visa, then I moved Ireland now I want to move back to Thailand

a) Is there a short cut for someone who only left thailand a few years ago

b) I tried e visa got registered but it rejected my application it would seem because my place of residence does not match my passport. I received the message please apply in person at nearest embassy, but the Dublin embassy is closed and tells people to apply online, and the Thai embassy in London is closed. I tried phoning the Thai embassy in London but after hanging on for 30 min gave up. I have e mailed the Thai Embassy in London but after a week no answer.......Should I apply on a form to London if yes which form for Non Imm 0 visa leading to retirement visa

2) The thai visa webb site says I have to get a medical saying I do not suffer from certain deseases ....said deseaces are mainly tropical and not often caught in Ireland do I really need this certificate and if yes where do I go for it in Ireland a GP doctor or Hospital Doctor.

3) The thai embassy also ask for a criminal record report from couintry of residence and country of passport.   Now I believe in England criminal records are deleted (spent) after 7 years so considering I have not lived in England for 18 years  and have not visited england for 10 years the english criminal record check would be useless.  Also in total I have only lived in Ireland for 2 years I cannot see how Irish criminal records are of any good......Therefore I would suggest an application for papers concerning my Thai criminal record would be the most appropiate

4) Also the thai embassy say I must have a flight going to Phuket. Well as of mid august that is reasonable but my booked flight to Bangkok is in Nov and when said date arrives Bangkok might be open...might reduce ASQ to 7 days, pattaya  might be open, phuket might be closed, or everywhere in Thailand might be closed, or I might decide to go to ko samui

Please answer the questions you can answer

You are too logical to live in Thailand. The medical is a joke, unless of course you have elephantiasis. Obviously, as you say, you will not have a criminal record. Go apply for the criminal record check, nothing will come up. Forward all the forms, they will prove to the world that you are a healthy, law abiding person. Job done! Welcome to Thailand.

I know people believe that hurdles are easy to jump over but my hurdles are not so easy. First of all I put my Irish House for sale a few months ago when there was a lock down in Thailand but there was a great amount of confidence that Thailand would become open in OCT. Now selling a house is easy in Thailand but in Ireland it is normal to trust lawyers and agents. However, I have suffered at the hands of irish lawyers and agents and the people who are supposed to regulate said professions. Hence I prefer to be in the country where the sale is taking place. Now my plans were that I put the property on the market  in July it sells subject to contract in early August contracts are exchanged in early Sept completion happens in early oct and we grab the money and go to thailand in OCT or Nov. Now my scenario has run smoothly apart from the Thailand situation getting worse rather than better.

Getting back to the Thai Visa hurdles I have been watching ex pat advice programs who seem to suggest the if I go for the Phuket sand box I will need to restrict my travels after the one week in Phuket and obtain COE for the follow on destinations, but if I opt for 14 asq in Bangkok it might well be reduced and after completing the 14 or 7day asq i will have full freedom to travel anywhere in Thailand....is this true 

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

You could come to Thailand with a tourist visa and convert to an O visa in country and then obtain an extension of stay due to retirement.  Your questions really belong in the Visa subforum, not the Chiang Mai forum.

You're trying to obtain an O-A visa, one of several paths towards what is commonly called a "retirement visa".  It isn't the only way to obtain permission to remain here from year-to-year as a retiree.  With your situation, it may not be the best path for you.

And yes, if that's the route you choose, you have to submit every document requested even if it doesn't make any sense.  Just like if you come now, you'll have to do Covid quarantine even if you're fully vaccinated and have a negative PCR test just before departure.  You've got to play the game according to the rules.  No exceptions.

And the criminal record check and medical form will have to be filled out in your country of residence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

And the criminal record check and medical form will have to be filled out in your country of residence.

Been coming here 17 years - never asked for either

Altho I did apply for NON O and NON O-A in country

On 8/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, canthai55 said:

Thai embassy, or consulate, or the websites affiliated with same, will have all the answers you need re entry requirements, ASQ, COE, Testing prior to boarding, etc

I contacted the thai consulate london they admitted my circumstances (ie nomad with UK passport but never lives in UK and has spent 85% of last 20 years in Thailand) makes it difficult to establish what hurdles i have to jump to get a visa. The Thai Consulate said a person like myself should contact the embassy. I did as requested and they wrote back saying they would write to me within a week., and they did saying they wanted my phone no so they could talk to me...so on monday i gave them my phone number, but they have not phoned. Hence today I phoned twice one call waiting 25 minutes next call waiting 30 then gave up

7 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Now according to my experiences and reading it is possible to go from non im o visa to retirement whilst in Thailand, but the non im o has to be obtained outside thailand. I have done this before by going to HK but with travel restrictions and closed embassies that will not be an easy task

Let us make things even more complicated 

I am a uk passport holder

I am living in Ireland 

The Thail embassy in dublin is closed forever?

I apply for evisa for thailand which asks me for passport details and my address then a message appears a person with your circumstances should go in person to the nearest thai embassy

but both dublin and london (desk service) are closed

Obvious answer would be get the old fashion form for non im o visa and post it to london but I cannot contact london thai embassy to get advice on this matter

On 8/17/2021 at 8:48 PM, beaufoy said:

but if I opt for 14 asq in Bangkok it might well be reduced and after completing the 14 or 7day asq i will have full freedom to travel anywhere in Thailand....is this true 

You will have to wait and see when you arrive as things change daily.

Apart from the fact there are no domestic flights at the moment (apart from Samui Plus), some areas are closed off and you may need to provide a good reason to travel.

For Samui, Phangan, Tao, I believe a Covid test is now required to even be allowed to board the ferry.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When you use the evisa website you will need to show proof of residence in Ireland along with your UK passport.

There was never  a Thai embassy in Dublin. It was a honorary consulate and it has been closed.

What visa are you applying for? When you mention a medical certificate that is a Non-OA visa that also requires a criminal background check and a medical certificate.

You could apply for a single entry non-o visa that only requires 90 days of medical insurance.

You could avoid the entire embassy visa application process by entering visa exempt to get a 45 day permit to stay at this time that can be extended for 30 day. Then after finishing the 14 day quarantine you could apply for a non-o visa at immigration and then the one year extension of stay based upon retirement. You need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply for the visa and then for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension of stay.

I'm in a different position but I'm looking at the different ways I could return to Thailand and when best to do it. Not an easy task with the fast changing situation. 

Would the visa exempt 45 day permit route work in the same way if I was going to apply for a Non-O visa based on marriage? I already have the 400k baht needed for that although it has been temporarily moved to my wife's account as she receives interest but it can be moved back to mine as soon as it's needed.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the non-o visa with a visa exempt entry. No problem to move the funds into another account since it only has to be in the bank on the day you appy  and there is no requirement to prove it came from abroad when based upon marriage to a Thai. See: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/6.pdf

Well according to the link provided a farang can visit thailand without a visa and then apply for a non im o visa whilst in thailand. Now I will tell you a story and maybe you can explain why it does not count. 

Four years ago i went on a cruise at said time I was using a retirement visa which had one re-entry allowed. We left thailand and returned so the one re-entry was used. The cruise stoped at thailand so if I went ashore a second re-entry would show and hence the retirement visa would become void. I told the cruise line that I would not leave the ship at the thai port and they should make sure my passport was not stamped...they agreed but then forgot and my passport which the ship was holding was stamped as me going ashore. When we arrived back in Thailand I was told my visa was no good...so I asked for another. Thai immigration said no and instead gave me a 30 day no visa residence. I was told the non im visa had to be applied for in another country then I could change it for a retirement visa when I returned to Thailand...I followed said instructions by way of visiting the thai embassy in hong kong........the question is why our years ago i could not convert a 30 entrance (without visa) to a non img O visa but it seems now it can be done...have the rules changed???

12 minutes ago, beaufoy said:

When we arrived back in Thailand I was told my visa was no good...so I asked for another. Thai immigration said no and instead gave me a 30 day no visa residence. I was told the non im visa had to be applied for in another country then I could change it for a retirement visa when I returned to Thailand...I followed said instructions by way of visiting the thai embassy in hong kong........the question is why our years ago i could not convert a 30 entrance (without visa) to a non img O visa but it seems now it can be done...have the rules changed???

Probably immigration officer at a airport that did not know about a non-o visa being available at a immigration office if you could meet the requirements. It has been possible for many years now. People get them all the time.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Probably immigration officer at a airport that did not know about a non-o visa being available at a immigration office if you could meet the requirements. It has been possible for many years now. People get them all the time.

You have to apply for a Thai Non-Immigrant Visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country.

1. Contact the Thailand Embassy or Consulate where you will submit the visa application or visit their website. Learn about the opening hours, working days, and if you have to make an appointment. You can find a list of the diplomatic mission offices of Thailand here.
  2. Collect the required documents for the specific Non-Immigrant Visa you are applying for
  3. Submit the documents and visa application. Depending on which Embassy/Consulate you apply in, you can submit the application:
    • In-person
    • Through the post, in which case you have to enclose a pre-paid and self-addressed envelope
  4. Wait for the application to be processed
  5. Collect your passport with the visa affixed. If you applied by mail, the Embassy/Consulate will mail it to you.

Note: If you are already in Thailand on another type of visa, you can apply to change the category to another type of Non-Immigrant Visa at the Thailand Immigration Department in Bangkok. This does not apply to holders of a Thai Visa On Arrival

28 minutes ago, beaufoy said:

You have to apply for a Thai Non-Immigrant Visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country.

1. Contact the Thailand Embassy or Consulate where you will submit the visa application or visit their website. Learn about the opening hours, working days, and if you have to make an appointment. You can find a list of the diplomatic mission offices of Thailand here.
  2. Collect the required documents for the specific Non-Immigrant Visa you are applying for
  3. Submit the documents and visa application. Depending on which Embassy/Consulate you apply in, you can submit the application:
    • In-person
    • Through the post, in which case you have to enclose a pre-paid and self-addressed envelope
  5. Collect your passport with the visa affixed. If you applied by mail, the Embassy/Consulate will mail it to you.

Note: If you are already in Thailand on another type of visa, you can apply to change the category to another type of Non-Immigrant Visa at the Thailand Immigration Department in Bangkok. This does not apply to holders of a Thai Visa On Arrival

Recognise that "visa on arrival" in what you are quoting does really mean the 15-day visa on arrival, not the visa exempt entry.

Most of what you quote is somewhat accurate, though quite outdated. You no longer need to go to Bangkok for these kinds of changes. Further, it does not make clear the ability to apply for a Non O visa at immigration, under some circumstances, if on a visa exempt entry or a regular tourist visa entry.

1 hour ago, beaufoy said:

• In-person

Udonjoe is an expert in these things and has been advising people in this forum for many years. In the many years that I know him , I don't think he was ever wrong. 

I suggest you listen to him.

I just came back to Thailand last May with my wife from the US. Like you, at the time prospects looked good  for a reopening of Thailand by October 1st and only a seven day quarantine. . I had to come back because we have a house here, car and dogs, , and because of covid we had been away for over two years. Wife's sister was taking care of our house and dogs, But it was too much for us to ask ,after two years, and we missed our Thai home, and Thailand. 

in retrospect it was a mistake to come at this time. Things in Thailand as far as covid is concerned went downhill after we arrived and got progressively worst on a daily bases.

I suggest you wait a couple of months.  if you can. 

Right now I am getting ready to do my extension based on marriage  . I have a hard time getting my passport certified by the US embay because neither me or my agent could het to the US embassy in BKK , finally last week my agent asked for my passport again cause he was heading for BKK. I have to call him to see what happen. Usually you are supposed to go there yourself and sign but with covid its not allowed. 

If you are going to come here, and you have money cause you just sold your house, my suggestion to you is to find  an agent .In relative terms it is not a lot of money, Only about $500-700, not sure how much cause my wife is handling it and is not enough money foe me to care to ask, She told me but I was not paying attention LOL 

Call him before you came and talk with him . he does this all day long and he knows what they want. Not what it's required, but what they want. Two different things T.I.T.

The agent will tell you what translations you need to bring with yourself.

Also make sure you have an international drivers license.so you can get a Thai drivers license when you get here.  

Take  Udonjoe's advice, He knows what he is talking about. There is no one in this forum who knows more about these things than Udonjoe. 

So bottom line. if you can, wait a few months to do so,( Not a good time to come here now,) . If you cant and have to come now , listen to Udonjoe and or find an agent ,explain your situation, and tell him that when the time comes for your extension you will like to use him, he will give you the best advise as to what he would need, if nothing else so that he makes things easy for himself when he does the extension for you. You cant depend on what it says on the embay website, Things change every day. As you yourself said the website tells you to go to the Embassy, but the embassy is closed. 

Good luck

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2021 at 4:53 AM, ezzra said:

My advice would be to wait for couple of months and see how things are going in Thailand as at the moment it's a hot bed of fast spreading Covid infestations anywhere you look and it not going to get better anytime soon, re visit those plans of your toward the end of the year, you'll be smart if you do...

Smart.

Might have a little patience and see what the first quarter of next year brings.

Presently not a good time - more than likely extended into the next several months.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:01 AM, canthai55 said:

WOW - a ringing endorsement !

I find my life about the same as pre Covid, with only travel restrictions holding me back.

Which I don't care about as this country is my home now.

Utter Chaos - !!! I got the Vac, so what chaos ?

Some on this forum love to pull up the ladder behind them, when they themselves are already in Thailand. They will spend hours rubbishing the sandbox, demanding that borders stay closed, and generally trying to put people off coming to Thailand.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 2:42 PM, Dante99 said:

You may refer your concerns about the inappropriate paperwork requirements to the Department of State in Bangkok.  It is unlikely that they will help you but they control those regulations.

In the meantime consider Spain or Cambodia, your fitness for Thailand is questionable.

Or channel islands.