6 month visa options???

I’m wanting to come to Phuket for 6-7 months at the beginning of October. Obviously multi-entry tourist visas aren’t being issued due to covid and the Special Tourist Visa can’t be applied for anymore. What do people do if they want to stay longer than a Single Entry Tourist Visa allows? The Thai government say they want people to come but then don’t offer any visa options.

How old are you? If you are over 50, and have the money to deposit in a Thai bank, staying as a retiree for as long as you like is pretty easy. If under 50 (and presumably with no Thai spouse or child) it is a bit harder. Some schools can probably get you a Non Ed visa within Thailand and appropriate extensions (for a price). Then there are agents who will always find a way, albeit a bit dodgy ...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

How old are you? If you are over 50, and have the money to deposit in a Thai bank, staying as a retiree for as long as you like is pretty easy. If under 50 (and presumably with no Thai spouse or child) it is a bit harder. Some schools can probably get you a Non Ed visa within Thailand and appropriate extensions (for a price). Then there are agents who will always find a way, albeit a bit dodgy ...

But as the OP said what if you want to come for just 6 months?  Even if over 50 why would anyone want to go to the hassle of putting 800k in a Thai bank and other hoops to come just for 6 months?  Don't you have to do reports still? Also don't you have to time your exits and 

/or entries around your retirement extension dates?  You make it sound way to easy.  The METV was PERFECT for 6/7 months in Thailand even though a couple posters kept going on and on about a visitor that long was not a tourist. That option will hopefully come back soon and yes I know having bordering countries open help make the one visa run you may have to take after 60 + 30 days easier. I just think the retirement extension is quite frankly ridiculous for 6 months then you leave. 

11 hours ago, Petsma said:

I'm 32. I lived in Thailand for over 10 years but left a few years back. I just can't fathom why they would remove a visa option that would bring so much cash in.

Even if the multiple entry tourist visa was issued it would be almost worthless since you it is not easy to leave and reenter the country for a new 60 day entry. That may be why they stopped issuing them.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Even if the multiple entry tourist visa was issued it would be almost worthless since you it is not easy to leave and reenter the country for a new 60 day entry. That may be why they stopped issuing them.

Yeah, as I said in my original post. My point was the special tourist visa was brought in to replace the multi-entry tourist visa as visa runs can't be done at the moment, but now they are ending the special tourist visa and don't have anything to fill that gap. The special tourist visa was a fantastic idea, it seems insane to get rid of it before "high season". All they will achieve is to push long stay tourists to other destinations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Petsma said:

My point was the special tourist visa was brought in to replace the multi-entry tourist visa as visa runs can't be done at the moment, but now they are ending the special tourist visa and don't have anything to fill that gap.

They have not ended yet but immigration will not do the 90 day extension of one now. They could extend the order for them beyond September 30th if they wanted to.

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Update: i can recall somebody getting  a METV and it is shown on this embassy website.

https://thaiembdc.org/2021/05/13/metv/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

But as the OP said what if you want to come for just 6 months?  Even if over 50 why would anyone want to go to the hassle of putting 800k in a Thai bank and other hoops to come just for 6 months?  Don't you have to do reports still? Also don't you have to time your exits and 

/or entries around your retirement extension dates?  You make it sound way to easy.  The METV was PERFECT for 6/7 months in Thailand even though a couple posters kept going on and on about a visitor that long was not a tourist. That option will hopefully come back soon and yes I know having bordering countries open help make the one visa run you may have to take after 60 + 30 days easier. I just think the retirement extension is quite frankly ridiculous for 6 months then you leave. 

First, a retirement extension is easy if you can afford to keep 800k baht in a Thai bank account.

That said, I would not have suggested it in 2019. If you check your calendar, it is now 2021, and the world has changed, It is unlikely that travel will be as easy as it was for a very long time. Mourn the demise of the METV and of border bounces, if you like, but do not bother bringing them up when advising people on an appropriate course of action under the new realities.

People who are risk takers could plan to arrive in October on a single entry tourist visa, assuming they will be able to stay significantly longer using Covid extensions. Personally, I think Covid extensions will be gone (at least without an embassy letter) by some time later this year. For those who want to gamble, go ahead. You might be lucky.

My point is, the METV isn’t being issued at the moment due to covid. It was replaced with the STV but now the STV is being retired. They need to either start issuing METV again or just continue with the STV. Obviously the STV is the better option at the moment because of covid restrictions. What I’m getting at is that you can’t have a situation where you have neither the METV or STV, you’ve gotta have one or the other.

30 minutes ago, Petsma said:

What I’m getting at is that you can’t have a situation where you have neither the METV or STV, you’ve gotta have one or the other.

Don't "gotta have one or the other". The Thai government does not need to provide anything.

Try getting into say Australia if your not a citizen. I am and it's still hard.

As far as coming to Thailand.....enter visa exempt (45 days + 30 day extension). After that obtain 60 day covid extensions. IMO they will continue to be available. 

Make sure you obtain full vaccination prior to travel. It's currently not a requirement but common sense.

Edited by DrJack54

18 minutes ago, Petsma said:

My point is, the METV isn’t being issued at the moment due to covid. It was replaced with the STV but now the STV is being retired. They need to either start issuing METV again or just continue with the STV. Obviously the STV is the better option at the moment because of covid restrictions. What I’m getting at is that you can’t have a situation where you have neither the METV or STV, you’ve gotta have one or the other.

There is no obligation on the Thai authorities to provide either. You could argue that they have an economic incentive to do so, but that is for them to decide. Right now, if wanting to facilitate low grade, long term tourism, the Covid extensions are just as good as METV or STV. The METV, in particular would be completely useless. Those who can find a way to leave and re-enter Thailand (perhaps, if fully vaccinated, via Singapore before too long) can usually enter visa exempt.

13 hours ago, Petsma said:

I'm 32. I lived in Thailand for over 10 years but left a few years back. I just can't fathom why they would remove a visa option that would bring so much cash in.

That's strange. This German Youtuber could enter Thailand and has been renewing his tourist visa for almost 8 months now without any problem.

He's only 30 years old, unemployed and he's still in Thailand. Why can't you when he can?

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Petsma said:

As far as I'm aware, 60 day covid extensions will not be issued after 27th September

We can all have our own opinions about that. Surely, Covid extensions will end at some point, but the authorities might continue to allow them for a while past September 27.

39 minutes ago, EricTh said:

That's strange. This German Youtuber could enter Thailand and has been renewing his tourist visa for almost 8 months now without any problem.

A visa cannot be renewed.

He like many others has been getting 60 day covid 19 extension of stay (it is not a visa) at immigration.

44 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa cannot be renewed.

He like many others has been getting 60 day covid 19 extension of stay (it is not a visa) at immigration.

Let's not get into the technicality of the terms. 

Whether you call it extension of stay or visa , it's the same in terms of effect. He's still a tourist, not a work permit holder, not a retiree etc.

For simplicity, I just say renewal of visa rather than the longer version.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, Petsma said:

As far as I'm aware, 60 day covid extensions will not be issued after 27th September

That's what they have been saying for the whole of last year, but it seems to go on forever....

Take it with a pinch of salt.

Even if the covid x doesn't exist anymore, there will still be visa runners to neighboring countries with the same effects as covid x i.e. staying long term on a tourist visa or 'studying Thai' at  schools who don't force attendance.

Edited by EricTh

6 hours ago, Petsma said:

METV are not being issued in the UK, which is where I'm from. Hopefully common sense will prevail and the STV will be extended.

Just a wild idea not based on any grounds. In the US we have the METV still, how about you come here or go to any EU that still offers it stay there for a lil bit and apply and get the METV hopefully maybe ? IDK dude. I’m 36 US passport and trying to figure out the same thing you are dealing with. I’m considering the study visa or the Muay Thai visa but sounds sketchy IDK.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Let's not get into the technicality of the terms. 

Whether you call it extension of stay or visa , it's the same in terms of effect. He's still a tourist, not a work permit holder, not a retiree etc.

For simplicity, I just say renewal of visa rather than the longer version.

It's not being technical. Visas are not extended. Also cannot obtain tourist visa in Thailand. 

The YouTuber you mentioned has no doubt been obtaining 60 day covid extensions.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Even if the covid x doesn't exist anymore, there will still be visa runners to neighboring countries with the same effects as covid

How can folk exit at borders when they are closed and look like staying that way for quite some time.

Also quarantine upon entry to Thailand is still required regardless of vaccination status.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, XtraFly said:

Just a wild idea not based on any grounds. In the US we have the METV still, how about you come here or go to any EU that still offers it stay there for a lil bit and apply and get the METV hopefully maybe ? IDK dude. I’m 36 US passport and trying to figure out the same thing you are dealing with. I’m considering the study visa or the Muay Thai visa but sounds sketchy IDK.

A METV is pretty useless at this time.

It allows for 60 day stay and can apply for 30 day extension. You then need to exit Thailand and reenter. Currently that's a world of pain and expense. 

Not suitable at this time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

A METV is pretty useless at this time.

It allows for 60 day stay and can apply for 30 day extension. You then need to exit Thailand and reenter. Currently that's a world of pain and expense. 

Not suitable at this time. 

I agree with you, that's why I'm trying to understand if the non ED Visa or learning muay thai 1 year Visa is even a real thing or just a scam or even has a lot of hurdles and requirements.

4 hours ago, XtraFly said:

I agree with you, that's why I'm trying to understand if the non ED Visa or learning muay thai 1 year Visa is even a real thing or just a scam or even has a lot of hurdles and requirements.

Depends how long you would like to stay in Thailand. There are options.

No doubt you are aware of current situation in Thailand. Unless you have strong ties here it's not best time for a visit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, driver52 said:

so there is currently no limit to the number of '60 day covid extensions'?

Some folk here in Thailand have been obtaining covid extensions since they were made available.

The question always asked is will they continue.

Not much has changed in recent times. For example land borders remain closed etc.

No reason to imagine why they would not continue. Only an opinion. Plan B always a good idea.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, driver52 said:

so there is currently no limit to the number of '60 day covid extensions'?

Mostly not, but ...

It is clear that some in Immigration regard staying long term on Covid extensions as abuse of them. Their view (and I am inclined to agree) is that they were introduced to help those unable to return to their home countries, not as an alternative for people who would previously have used in/out border runs to stay long term in Thailand. Some officials have been warning people that they will not get any further Covid extensions. Whether this is an empty threat or a reality is not yet clear.

I believe there is an economic incentive for Thailand to keep most foreigners already in Thailand here. However, those who want to "be rid of undesirable foreigners" will probably succeed in being allowed to crack down at some point.

• Thanks 1