Identical beers tasting very different

cyril sneer

Both identical beers in the same size bottle

1 bought at 7/11 and another at Family Mart

Production date on the bottles are only a month apart

One bottle tastes completely foul compared to the other, almost undrinkable 

Whats the reason for this? Left in the heat too long?

• Like 1

Old Chang used to be incredibly inconsistent. The new not so much maybe it is more heat resistant.

When I was in Patong in July I saw people cleaning out a bar, They were washing off the dust and grime from beer bottles. How many  months cooking in the heat... Bars down there closed still

• Like 1

Yeah, I've had similar experiences, even to the point of 2 six-packs bought from the same store on the same day tasting very different, not undrinkable, just different.  I didn't check batch numbers or whatever as I didn't think I'd need the info.

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, I've had similar experiences, even to the point of 2 six-packs bought from the same store on the same day tasting very different, not undrinkable, just different.  I didn't check batch numbers or whatever as I didn't think I'd need the info.

Six pack very Oz that. ????

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, living my formative years (at least from a beer perspective) in the south west of England definitely got me a taste for the Real Ales, being a Royal Naval Apprentice certainly helped things along too.

The delights coming out of Wadworth's and Ringwood Brewery are sadly missed out here ????  

After 3 beers same same. Cold beer is cold beer.

At wine you know good years and bad years. Here in Thailand I learned in respect of beer about good and bad production days. I have the feeling the can't produce the same quality every day. Big western companies will pretty much always produce the same taste. 

My RSL had beers in one fridge that tasted different to the other. One was in the sun all day and the other wasn’t.

I have also experienced this before and it is particularly a problem in clear bottles.

If beer is left in the sun it goes bad. I would say 50% of SML I buy has no fizz even if I buy from Makro who move a lot of it.

Heat and sun will kill your beer and Thai’s just don’t store it properly away from heat.

It used to be well known amongst certain circles that Leo from certain terroir has particular taste, you can check this on the label on the bottle/can to see where it's made or the production no. on the unopened box in case where you can't see the label, there's multiple plant dotted around the country

the general concensus is Leo from Khonkaen is best, seconded by Nakhon Pathom and Pathum Thani 

it's probably down to the water source

if it taste off it could have been shaked or stored or transported in the heat for too long

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/21/2021 at 4:27 PM, Crossy said:

The delights coming out of Wadworth's and Ringwood Brewery are sadly missed out here ????  

I really miss my Shepherd Neame beer from Kent, especially Bishops Finger available in Sainsbury at £1.20 but I've never seen here, used to see Spitfire in Villa and Gourmet but have seen for some years.

I occasionally treat myself to a bottle or two of London Pride at £4.75, as opposed to £5.50 for a four pack back in the UK.

I've had Old Speckled Hen on draft in the British Club and in a bar in Udon Thani, quite partial to that, but only occasionally available in cans here in Hua Hin.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

No Fokker comes close?

Control tower to a 747: “United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o’clock, three miles, Eastbound.”
United 239: “Approach, I’ve always wanted to say this… I’ve got the little Fokker in sight.”

Back on topic (beer)!

I spent my drinking formative years (had my first "official" pint at 18) in here 51.42281542371407, -2.2392589121672395, in the ensuing 44 years it's changed not a lot. It even has an EV charger.

Untitled.png.67fd7faeb2e8a0d153e0173403ec96af.png

23 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I really miss my Shepherd Neame beer from Kent, especially Bishops Finger available in Sainsbury at £1.20 but I've never seen here, used to see Spitfire in Villa and Gourmet but have seen for some years.

I occasionally treat myself to a bottle or two of London Pride at £4.75, as opposed to £5.50 for a four pack back in the UK.

I've had Old Speckled Hen on draft in the British Club and in a bar in Udon Thani, quite partial to that, but only occasionally available in cans here in Hua Hin.

And I really miss being able to go into any pub in the UK and be able to see a beer I've never tried before. Maybe several. Instead of going into a pub in Thailand and finding the same old, same old choice of four or five. And if you do find a pub selling any UK beers it'll cost you at least as much as in the UK. Woe is me.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 4:22 PM, Gottfrid said:

Has to do with the conditions of storage in Thailand and that the ones in charge do not care. First it can be hot and cold from the factory, after that one more time from the sale point. Same does the shops. Then the beer has been stored 3 times in hot conditions and 4 times in cold. Not at all good for quality.

Absolutely, there isn't a consistent supply chain process that keeps the beer at a standard temperature from production to shelf.

My local BigC was closed for 2 weeks for Covid cleaning, following an outbreak.

Upon reopening the shelves were stocked with beer several months old, I therefore went to Lotus to purchase my weekly beer ration, where the beer fill on the label was only several weeks ago.

• Like 1

I have had the same problem, Never buy a bottle of beer right next to the fluro lights in there fridges that can do it. You see trucks and pickups loaded with boxes sitting in the hot sun for hours. the ones on top of the load copping that much heat. Most of the deliverys to BigC or Makro come in covered trucks.

May be only slightly off topic, but this thread really brings back memories for me….

As an American running a project for Oracle Corp. back in the day up in the Lakes District, near Carnforth, most everyone on the team would go to the pub and sit and have 2-3 pints during lunch - man those were the days! I like beer anyways, especially Boddington’s. 

Many years later on a big project in Philly, PA I and my boss, who is a Brit, found this great pub near the south side where they had trivia every Tue and they also had Boddy’s on tap. We became fixtures there and many late evenings. 

Great memories…