Finally (made up my mind) to change to Retirement from Marriage extension. Documents Required.

Thx @BritTim appreciated

I hope it will be easy, the marriage extension was never really that difficult, but those 30 day (or sometimes even longer) under consideration day waits I never liked!

The money is in a Fixed Deposit account since a very long time, but it always has been a bit more then the 400k (which was required for the Marriage extension)  and I just topped it up to meet the Retirement extension.  Will also leave it in there, because of those Seasoning Requirements.

• Like 2

Thx @cmarshall

The reason why I am changing is what I wrote before and also with this Covid-19 you never know what is going to happen, and suppose something bad happens to the Wife (who is also not in the greatest of Health), I have then (when on a extension of stay based on Marriage) 7 days to pack my bags and leave!

I am not going to divorce or anything, but I always thought of going this route and  we often discussed this, but finally this year taking the plunge.

If they ask why I am changing, is just to make their lives easier 555555555555 ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thinking of doing the exact same thing, Painful the Visits and Photos and Person to identify you and of course the Kor Ror 2 update, etc etc, plus the Month Waiting, will change to retirement and do it all the same day.
Only changed from retirement to Marriage as the Covid rules at the time would not let me back in without it being Marriage . . .
But this Marriage extension is just so much more painful than it needs to be, and am over that . . 

• Like 2

@pattayapip

That 30 day Waiting period (we one time had to wait 6+ weeks) I personally hate the most. Paperwork is more of the same (with a lot of the documents in the PC, just change the dates). Kr2 my wife does the day before going to Immigration (max 1 day old) and the Bank on the morning of going.

But then 30 days wait ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not have leave within 7 days your wife passed away. Your extension would still valid until it expires. You have probably completed and signed a STM2 form called terms and conditions for your extension that clearly states that more than once.

Ooh Joe thx, I always thought that as soon as your Wife dies you have 7 days to pack your bags.

I sure must have but at Immigration you get so many documents to sign, that I just sign it and don't read them. The only one I really remember and know is that overstay one!

Thx but still not changing my mind and finally doing it!

If you have the appropriate seasoned cash balance the paper work is much the same with the exception of  photographs  and then the awaiting approval bs and home visit.

One thought is perhaps your initial visa ..O or OA might be  factor if they still insist on retirement extensions having some health insurance ? Ubon J could clarify ?

• Like 1

@Nojohndoe

I am on NON-O but I know where you are coming from with the NON-OA and the mandatory insurance!. Fortunately we have very good insurance, but the only issue is that our insurance doesn't have a LIMIT per year but just says Cost Price.

And that is a big hassle to try and explain that.

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

@Nojohndoe

I am on NON-O but I know where you are coming from with the NON-OA and the mandatory insurance!. Fortunately we have very good insurance, but the only issue is that our insurance doesn't have a LIMIT per year but just says Cost Price.

And that is a big hassle to try and explain that.

With a Non O it should not be a question ( I think).

Just before  covid shut borders I changed from Non OA to Non O via Laos.

Subsequent renewals have never  required insurance.

Edited by Nojohndoe
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Ooh Joe thx, I always thought that as soon as your Wife dies you have 7 days to pack your bags.

I sure must have but at Immigration you get so many documents to sign, that I just sign it and don't read them. The only one I really remember and know is that overstay one!

Thx but still not changing my mind and finally doing it!

i guess the 7 day's could be in case of divorcing the wife (or she divorcing husband ...) ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

i guess the 7 day's could be in case of divorcing the wife (or she divorcing husband ...) ?

There is no 7 days. That went away years ago. The only way you can get 7 days if to apply for a extension, pay the 1900 baht fee and then be granted 7 days to leave the country.

But in case of a divorce you would typically have time to prepare to apply for a different extension before it becomes final.

• Thanks 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

There is no 7 days. That went away years ago. The only way you can get 7 days if to apply for a extension, pay the 1900 baht fee and then be granted 7 days to leave the country.

But in case of a divorce you would typically have time to prepare to apply for a different extension before it becomes final.

that is why only the 7 day number kept in my head 

43 minutes ago, pattayapip said:

Thinking of doing the exact same thing, Painful the Visits and Photos and Person to identify you and of course the Kor Ror 2 update, etc etc, plus the Month Waiting, will change to retirement and do it all the same day.
Only changed from retirement to Marriage as the Covid rules at the time would not let me back in without it being Marriage . . .
But this Marriage extension is just so much more painful than it needs to be, and am over that . . 

Even the retirement extension and quite a bit of paperwork and they still visit your home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Even the retirement extension and quite a bit of paperwork and they still visit your home.

Paperwork about he same i know (with exception not needing wifes stuff, pictures etc)
Was not aware about a home visit when doing the retirement extension ? Thought it was issued same day ?

3 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Not one I.O. visited my address in the 8 years of ret. ext. based on money on bank 800K , only the needed doc. and next day collect stamped passport , good for another year , and for Jomtien I.O. just 3 months later a jump in  no waiting to show bank balance still up to 800K at least ....

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pattayapip said:

Paperwork about he same i know (with exception not needing wifes stuff, pictures etc)
Was not aware about a home visit when doing the retirement extension ? Thought it was issued same day ?

Check your own Immigration office ok

5 minutes ago, pattayapip said:

mostly same day  , Jomtien I.O. come collect your stamped passport next day after 2 clock afternoon 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you ask me, the marriage extension has always had more weight than the retirement extension, so perhaps you should reconsider what you are contemplating.

Do you remember all of those expats on retirement extensions outside of Thailand truing to get back in, well those with marriage extensions did get in, with those on retirement extensions having to wait for a hell of a long time, and a lot of them married to Thai's.

You did mention it's not that much of a hassle to do the paperwork, and I agree as I have everything save in a folder and just press x 2 for each PDF when it comes time to get the marriage extension, which includes the same photos and map, then a 20 minute drive to the bank for the letter, the Amphur around the corner for an updated confirmation that I am still married, while waiting for the bank letter, and the same small photo of self which they usually give you plenty of copies at the local photo shop. 

The next day will take the hour 20 drive to immigration, however stop at the bank branch their and withdrawal 1,000 baht and get my book updated and then next door get two copies of that page to put with the other copies of the bank book pages.

The 30 day wait has never come into my mind, I just go back when they tell me and collect, that is their job, I won't bend to their laziness, first time I cam here they convinced the wife to put me onto a retirement visa because the process was easier as we were told, well what if I was outside of the country when all those farangs on retirement extensions couldn't get back in, that would be gut wrenching being away from the family for so long, not to mention the expensive rent that I would have to be paying.

Choice is yours of course.  

I would be surprised it is or would be different for those married to Thai but on ret.ext. , as legally married is married .... of course for those only Budha marriage or just living together would be different ... 

I think UBJ could clear this up as always 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you ask me, the marriage extension has always had more weight than the retirement extension, so perhaps you should reconsider what you are contemplating.

Do you remember all of those expats on retirement extensions outside of Thailand truing to get back in, well those with marriage extensions did get in, with those on retirement extensions having to wait for a hell of a long time, and a lot of them married to Thai's.

Thx for your lengthy reply!

Question please: Were these foreigners that were married and got refused to come back in, married in Thailand and have the KR3 (The Paper with the Flowers)?

If so, then very strange they got refused to come back in!

I had retirement (From Jomtien) before, but am still working, and at the start of this Covid stuff people with Retirement Extensions were not being considered for a COE (Certificate of Entry) but they are now
So i changed to marriage (Proper Marriage) extension so i could go to work and get back in . . . . I guess it is possible they could do the same thing again, but very unlikely

Edited by pattayapip
Add Missing Details