Leading Thai doctor says the Covid stats can't be trusted

webfact

4 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

The argument that the hospitalization rate and number of hospital related covid deaths is a better method of ascertaining covid rates would only be logical if every person that was covid possible was able to enter the hospital system and thus become a hospital based statistic.

Of course the "positivity rate" shows that the something is wrong with thai numbers... Aka : not enough tests.

But... again... if you have millions of "positive cases" but most of those "infected people"... are not sick... the famous "asymptomatics cases" (in the Covid newspeak)... then who cares ?

Again, what matters is the number of people who are really sick, AKA who needs medical treatment (and i'm not talking about a paracetamol pill because "darling i have a little headache tonight").

Therefore, we should look at :

-patients in hospital (not "hospitel", and not "at home")

-patients in "serious conditions"

-and among this group, the sub-group of patient with "ventilators" (ICUs, when you get there... your prognosis is really bad)

The data are published each day (on various Twitter accounts).

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

With the UK testing on average about 500,000 a day compared to less than 50,000 in Thailand, the chances are that the UK numbers are at least 10 times more accurate than Thailand's ! Underestimated or not. 

Be honest the whole worldometer is a bit of a joke, test more , find more, hence most of the world's most tested countries appear in the top 10 for covid positives ! Apart from China who nobody on the planet believe any data from

Sorry to have to correct you on that last sentence. Thailand believes all data coming from china.

Refreshing.

People want to hear the truth.

With on the demand news and social media the governments constant lying and manipulation cannot be hidden.

Its as if these dinosaurs think they can pull the wool over the people's eyes.

It would be funny if it wasn't so deadly serious.

5 minutes ago, Cadan said:

First person raising a voice. Amazing it took so long but better late than never. We will be in lockdown until February 2022 - kids won’t go to school either 

There will probably be a mass exodus from Thailand if current restrictions won't be relaxed in the next few weeks.

Many foreigners already left.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lolalol said:

But when do you think 70% of the population will finally get vaccinated?  

It will never get to 70 %  .  The USA only got to 51  % fully vaccinatged according to the Television this morning.  Thai people's desire or direction to be fully vaccinatged will wane with time

Agree wholeheartedly with the title, but most definitely NOT with his conclusion. It flies in the face of worldwide patterns and statistics. Time will tell soon enough if for some strange reason Thailand completely does something totally different than everywhere else in the world. At first I thought, wow! great! Somebody who has enough guts to speak the truth... then I read the article and found that he's just another fearmonger paying no attention to what's going on in the world with COVID!
I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong here if there were some evidence pointing that direction or if in the end Thailand pulls off the miraculous non-recovery that should naturally be coming our way shortly, regardless of nonsensical efforts of lockdowns, masking, etc... There is an abundance of history to look at how this virus behaves, as there is with other corona viruses, but it seems that avoiding that is preferable to many and fear is more comfortable.

• Confused 1

The only doctors, I trust, are:

Prof. John Ioannidis (most cited doctor in the world)

Prof. Sucharit Bhakhdi (immunologist, retired and therefore independent),

Dr. Mike Yeadon (former Pfizer vice president, now independent),

Dr. Robert Malone (inventor of the mRNA technology)

Forget all these publicity hungry TV doctors,

trying to get publicity for new funding of their projects !

Edited by Bernietravelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Is he actually saying that Thais are lying to Thais along with the rest of the world? This surely can't be true...

No, he’s not saying anyone is lying, he’s saying that cases are being underreported because people are doing their own tests and home and self-isolating rather then telling the government and being thrown in some crappy field hospital for two weeks because of it. The government can’t be expected to report what it doesn’t know. 

Bottom line-there are MORE people infected than are represented in the official daily figures so the actual infection rate is higher. 

Edited by Guitar God
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rabas said:

I think you have the wrong guy. 

Thira Woratanarat is an Associate Professor at Chulalongkorn and Analytical logician who graduated as a medical doctor.

Can't think of better qualifications to challenge numbers from medical crises. 

• Diplomate Board of Preventive Medicine, Thai Medical Council
  • Postdoctoral Fellowship in Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA
  • Master of Medical Science (Clinical Epidemiology), University of Newcastle, Australia
  • Diploma in Health Financial Management and Policy in Health Care, University of Newcastle, Australia
  • Doctor of Medicine (1st Class Honor), Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University Thailand

Check out his publications on GoogleScholar

Maybe you right , I not recall the name only the photo . When Covid started he use to insist on hard lockdowns and was referred to as leading expert , I checked his history and he was a dietician 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, buick said:

i'm going to bet against his forecast.  the death numbers will be below 100/day in october.  death numbers can be hidden but they are far more reliable than cases.  so the death numbers will be better, not the same or worse.  the case numbers are meaningless due to the weak testing program.

I’m sure you will find a little corona crit in everyone, if you don’t just turn up the cycles until something shows up.